• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Thursday I went to Delaware Machinery in Muncie to pick up the lowers for the group buy and had a nice tour of their machining facility. Never saw so many lowers in various stages of manufacturing in one place. Having been in the machining business for years I was impressed with the speed they machine a blank start to finish. I was surprised by the time it actually took, not counting blasting, coating and engraving. They had some very nice fixturing on the CNC machines to hold quite a few parts per machining run. Nice to see a local manufacturer in the gun business. :patriot:

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As much as I would love pictures, I doubt picture-taking would be allowed in such a facility.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Their website says nothing about doing lowers, at least I couldn't find anything about it. Is it something they actually produce, or something they(or a couple guys) do on the side?

PS: Sounds like it would be an awesome learning experience :)

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Their website says nothing about doing lowers, at least I couldn't find anything about it. Is it something they actually produce, or something they(or a couple guys) do on the side?

PS: Sounds like it would be an awesome learning experience :)

They told me that they have around 5,000 in process; they started doing these to use the extra open capacity of their machines due to the slow down in the auto industry which are their primary customers. This is a very large facility with at least five good size buildings and a lot of high tech machinery as they also machine parts for the military and the medical field. Lowers are just another product for them. The CNC machines to make these probably cost anywheres from $300,000 to $500,000 or more so this is not a Bill and Charlie making lowers in the garage business. These are machined, engraved and blasted in house; the coating process is sub-contracted to a outside vendor.

How it ends up for them depends if they can get their name out there and sell some lowers which is something I am trying to help them with in a small way.

picture.php

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Always great to see new manufacturing in Indiana, I was getting sad seeing so much of it leave since the 70s.:)

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    They told me that they have around 5,000 in process; they started doing these to use the extra open capacity of their machines due to the slow down in the auto industry which are their primary customers. This is a very large facility with at least five good size buildings and a lot of high tech machinery as they also machine parts for the military and the medical field. Lowers are just another product for them. The CNC machines to make these probably cost anywheres from $300,000 to $500,000 or more so this is not a Bill and Charlie making lowers in the garage business. These are machined, engraved and blasted in house; the coating process is sub-contracted to a outside vendor.

How it ends up for them depends if they can get their name out there and sell some lowers which is something I am trying to help them with in a small way.

picture.php

Thanks for the post Michiana. A group field trip would be great. Maybe everyone that bought a lower in the GB could go. I am impressed at their ability to adjust their business in tough times. Obama should recognize these guys for their agility in a tough economy :)

I sure hope they have success. Their lowers are nice. Their logo is not bad, but they need to do something other than their DM logo. Maybe a picture of the TCU Horny Toad or something. You guys laugh, but that would be one bad AR logo.

Top Bottom