• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I got a seal pup when I was on active duty 6 years ago and I carry it occasionaly for self defense. It is always with me when camping,fishing and hunting and it has been abused to say the least and is still kicking. It is a great blade and at such a good price and versatile size.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I've had mine for about six months, but haven't had the chance to use it much. It went with me on an overnight backpacking trip, but didn't see any use. It looks like a great knife to me, fits well in my hand, and was a great price. Hopefully it'll see more use next year.

Did you get the kydex sheath with it? I chose to get the regular one.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I bought one for my son to take to Afghanistan in 2005. I believe he still has it with him in Iraq this year. Nice knife. You can tell it has a good blade because it takes awhile to resharpen. The kydex sheath was nice also.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was thinking about getting one of these as a SHTF pack knife. Any idea on the difference between AUS 6 and AUS 8. The Seal Pup has the Aus 6 while the elite has Aus 8. Will i have to sharpen AUS 6 all the time?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have the seal pup and carried in both iraq and afghanistan and it was a very solid knife. it kept a great edge and cut well. i mainly used it to start fires cut sticks open mre's all that good stuff and it was a practical knife for a very reasonable price. congrats on the new purchase sir. use it as much as you can

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    i have the seal pup and carried in both iraq and afghanistan and it was a very solid knife. it kept a great edge and cut well. i mainly used it to start fires cut sticks open mre's all that good stuff and it was a practical knife for a very reasonable price. congrats on the new purchase sir. use it as much as you can

any idea if yours was a regular seal pup or the seal pup elite?

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I now have a Seal pup and a elite The seal pup is in my truck and the Elite is in my bug out bag. Both of mine have nylon sheaths I would like to get a Kydex sheath

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had one till I got bored with it and "needed" a new knife. There's nothing wrong with a seal pup. I wish I had bought the elite though. I like the sheaths that have the additional pouch.

cholmstr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Mar 15, 2010
    Greendale, IN
    SOG Seal Pup had the 4.75 inch tiger stripe blade which looked really good for a combat soldier. The blade steel of the SOG Seal Pup is 440A, which worked out great for a desert climate. Ace never had to worry about the rust and the blade wasn’t brutally hard to sharpen. The edge on the SOG Seal Pup stayed razor sharp. Overall, the length of the Seal Pup is nine inches, which is perfect for close combat

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Question

For those of you that have both the Seal Pup and the Seal Pup Elite.
    My understanding is that the Seal Pup's were made in Seki, Japan and the Elite's are made in Taiwan.

So are all Seal Pups made in Japan and all Elite's made in Taiwan?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I emailed SOG with this question a few weeks ago. Seal Pup, Seal Pup Elite, and Field Pup are all made in Taiwan.

Thanks for the information. I actually called this morning and talked to a lady at SOG. The original Seal Pups were made in Seki, Japan and can still be had on eBay. The Seal Pup's made in Japan are actually stamped Seki, Japan on the blade. I understand all the new Seal Pup's, Elite's and Field Pup's are all being made in Taiwan.

I also found out that the Trident and Aegis folders are still made in the US and receive the cold fusion heat treatment. She said they would be made in the US for the remainder of 2010 but would not comment on anything past this year.

It would be nice if the commercial knife manufactures would post on their web sites which products are made where. But then that information would certainly hurt sales of certain products.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I got one back in 2000 or 2001. I used it as my dive knife while living in the caribbean. It was great but the snaps on the kydex sheath rusted away and the kydex eventually just broke. I'd like to find another sheath for it that would hold up in salt water. Any suggestions?

Although it's not my favorite overall knife, it's my favorite dive knife and it looks almost as good as the day I got it. It has held up incredibly. I really can't believe it.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I keep mine in my get home bag. I pulled it out last night and it has Seki Japan stamped on the blade.

Is there a preference as to which is better? Japan or Taiwan?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I also have one. This thread made me go and look to see what was stamped on the blade. I too have a Seki Japan blade.

Top Bottom