• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How so? Unmarked car and no uniform is an illegal stop for a violation involving a motor vehicle.

The caselaw is clear that a traffic stop constitutes an arrest for purposes of this section.

Best,

Joe

I'm clear on that, I was simply indicating that his actions while operating a motor vehicle appear to constitute a traffic violation.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Why would anyone want to have a car that resembles a cop car or is a old police car? You would constantly have people slowing down to 2 miles above the speed limit in front of you. How annoying.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Why would anyone want to have a car that resembles a cop car or is a old police car? You would constantly have people slowing down to 2 miles above the speed limit in front of you. How annoying.

There was an INGO member a couple years ago that posted a video of himself driving on 465 with traffic stacked up for quite a ways behind him. He had an old crown vic and even though he didn't show it in the video, I'd be willing to bet he had some kind of emergency lighting in it. People don't always slow down for unmarked cars, or even marked cars for that matter. I've had people pass my marked car on the interstate even if I was doing 10 over.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Interesting, they were in the parking lot SE corner 38th St/Franklin Rd...where the Hong Kong Inn is located. They were listening to east district on their scanner...where the parking lot was located.

Too bad you don't work that far north, you could hang out up there and violate their rights.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Too bad you don't work that far north, you could hang out up there and violate their rights.

He would be to distracted by any BMW that went by:D

I don't see the big deal about the people with the crown vics. The ones I dislike are the 80's cars on 32" rims you can hear a mile away and see 2 miles away and the oil burning engines.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    What is point of that? :dunno:

Light bars and wigwags? Anybody think that is a good idea?

Yeah, they are not red and blue............
    Does Sally Homemaker know they are not the fuzz just because they are not red and blue??

No its not a good idea. And Sally Homemaker isn't the only person that probably doesn't know what equipment a police car should or shouldn't have on it. Most people don't know the law about the marked car or uniform requirement and would pull over for any flashing lights.

For as many people there are that dislike the police, there sure are a lot of them that want to look and act like us.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most police agencies sell their cars when they are taken out of service. I would be willing to bet that of all the unmarked Crown Vics seen on the road these days, only 10% of them are actually in service as squad cars. There is a car club called the "Crown Vic Boys" that all drive former police cars and other than a club sticker in the window, they could be mistaken for the police.
    You realize that if they're still painted in the original color scheme, you can pull them over the cite them for that, right?
    IC 5-22-22-9
    Disposal of law enforcement vehicles
    Sec. 9. (a) If a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is a model year of 1994 or after and is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color by transferring the vehicle to:
    (1) a person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
    (A) a monochrome color scheme; or
    (B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;
    before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana;

(2) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
    (B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;
    before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person to be operated on a public highway in Indiana;
    (3) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will not operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person; or
    (4) another governmental body, the governmental body is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana.
    (b) Before a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color, the purchasing agency must provide a copy of this subsection to the prospective purchaser of the vehicle.
    (c) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction.
    As added by P.L.49-1997, SEC.1.

And that's what I get for not reading the whole thread first. Scooped by Frank-n-Stein.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No its not a good idea. .........

You realize that if they're still painted in the original color scheme, you can pull them over the cite them for that, right?

IC 5-22-22-9
    Disposal of law enforcement vehicles
    Sec. 9. (a) If a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is a model year of 1994 or after and is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color by transferring the vehicle to:
    (1) a person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
    before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana;

(2) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:
    before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person to be operated on a public highway in Indiana;
    (3) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will not operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person; or
    (4) another governmental body, the governmental body is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana.
    (b) Before a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color, the purchasing agency must provide a copy of this subsection to the prospective purchaser of the vehicle.
    (c) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction.
    As added by P.L.49-1997, SEC.1.

The IC code above would seem to indicate it is not only a bad idea but
    would show cause on duplicating a law enforcement vehicle.

Lights in an "unmarked" crown vic would appear (to me) to be a law enforcement vehicle.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting, they were in the parking lot SE corner 38th St/Franklin Rd...where the Hong Kong Inn is located. They were listening to east district on their scanner...where the parking lot was located.
    I didn't see any multi-color schemes on those cars, but the scanner brings up another avenue of prosecution:
    IC 35-44.1-2-7
    Unlawful use of a police radio
    Sec. 7. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) possesses a police radio;
    (2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or
    (3) possesses or uses a police radio:
    (A) while committing a crime;
    (B) to further the commission of a crime; or
    (C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
    commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
    (1) a governmental entity;
    (2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
    [...]
    (5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency to possess a police radio;
    (6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission if the person is not transmitting over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
    [...]
    (c) As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes and that:
    (1) can be installed, maintained, or operated in a vehicle; or
    (2) can be operated while it is being carried by an individual.
    The term does not include a radio designed for use only in a dwelling.
    As added by P.L.126-2012, SEC.54.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As for why buy a former police cruiser... Where else could I have bought a 3 year old V-8 sedan with a 140 MPH top speed and mob-family-execution sized trunk for < $3k? Granted, it had 120k+ miles on the clock when I bought it.

There's also the strobes/flashing LEDs they could be busted on.
    IC 9-21-7-11
    Flashing lights
    Sec. 11. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a vehicle may not display flashing lights.
    (b) Flashing lights may be displayed on a vehicle as follows:
    (1) On an authorized emergency vehicle.
    (2) On a school bus.
    (3) On snow-removal equipment.
    (4) As a means of indicating a right or left turn.
    (5) As a means of indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.
    (6) On a vehicle used in a funeral procession.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9. Amended by P.L.80-2012, SEC.4.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    If you were in a car accident in a Crown Vic with all your guns in the trunk and the car went up in flames could you say "I lost all my guns in a boating accident"?

Top Bottom