Got a call from ADT Security - Neighbours Alarm Went Off!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I live out in the country and my neighbours and I watch each other's backs when it comes to security. Today I got a call from ADT. I don't know where they call from but they notified me that an alarm had gone off. I explained that I am not the home owner but would grab my .45 and be over there within a minute. The caller paused and asked if I wanted them to call the police. I said only if I have to shoot someone! I don't think he was ready for that answer. Turns out his kid accidentally tripped the alarm. A different neighbour did apprehend a couple meth heads breaking into the same house a year ago. Sherriff is at best 45 minutes away. I wonder what ADT operator said to his supervisor. It would be funny if the guy was from California.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I would only shoot a bad guy if they threaten a good guys life. I would only be interested in getting a plate number and good description, possibly block the driveway. I don't want to do the police job. To answer your question, I think the law is the same no matter who's property you are on.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I would only shoot a bad guy if they threaten a good guys life. I would only be interested in getting a plate number and good description, possibly block the driveway. I don't want to do the police job. To answer your question, I think the law is the same no matter who's property you are on.
    As long as your not shooting just to protect property I would say you should be on decent legal grounds, protection of life only as you stated.

On a side note, my best friend lives next door, and I feel sorry for anyone he catches attempting to break in while I'm home, he plans on using his bow and broad head's. ....he's been watching too much beer for my horses....

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I seen a deal on Tac TV the other day about shooting someone and they said if you ever did have to shoot someone it would at least cost you $100,000 for lawyer and even more if they die in law suits/lawyer fees... I never really thought about that..

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I seen a deal on Tac TV the other day about shooting someone and they said if you ever did have to shoot someone it would at least cost you $100,000 for lawyer and even more if they die in law suits/lawyer fees... I never really thought about that..

I saw the same thing. While that may be true in some cases where things are questionable, I don't think it is always true. If someone is armed and committing a crime, and they threaten you then his family does not have much to sue about.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I live out in the country and my neighbours and I watch each other's backs when it comes to security. Today I got a call from ADT. I don't know where they call from but they notified me that an alarm had gone off. I explained that I am not the home owner but would grab my .45 and be over there within a minute. The caller paused and asked if I wanted them to call the police. I said only if I have to shoot someone! I don't think he was ready for that answer. Turns out his kid accidentally tripped the alarm. A different neighbour did apprehend a couple meth heads breaking into the same house a year ago. Sherriff is at best 45 minutes away. I wonder what ADT operator said to his supervisor. It would be funny if the guy was from California.

If it had been me and I had thought of it at the moment---

ADT: Sir, would you like for us to call the police?
    Me: Stay on the line. If you hear the sound of gun fire, yes...call them right away...and an ambulance.

:):

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Sounds like ADT. I was Plant Eng. at a facility and one of the employees came by the house saying that a bell was ringing at the plant. I went over and found a popped sprinkler head. Secured the alarm, wading some serious water shut off the line, then called ADT. I asked them why they hadn't called the list and the fire department. Their reply was that-"we thought you were testing the system".....

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    After talking to some cops, the best thing they do is call the homeowner and then a second number. A call to the police from a security company is a low level priority, and can take 10-15 minutes before they respond. Had I known that before, I would not have had a system installed.

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    A call to the police from a security company is a low level priority, and can take 10-15 minutes before they respond.

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahaha. Ha. Hahahahahahahahaha.

For the sake of adding something substantial to the discussion, the only time I'd consider using lethal force on property not my own would be under threat of life. I would, however, not have a problem threatening lethal force if only property were threatened. IANAL, but:

IN Code 35-41-3 said:
    (e) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully
    in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect.

Not sure how IN law defines "authority to protect," but it seems we're in the clear. Again, IANAL!

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green

With the security system I have, they had us make a list of phone numbers we want the company to call before dispatching police. I'd love to have a gun-totin' neighbor like yourself that I can trust enough to add to the list. Be proud! :thumbsup:

For the record, my list is very short (1- me 2- police). I don't need the security company playing phone tag while my family is in danger. Plus, my wife knows how to use the 12 gauge ;)

Last edited:

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I worked at a security alarm monitoring company in Denver back in the 90's. Our policy was pretty cut and dried and was based on the type of alarm that was tripped :

Window/door alarm at residential property - call phone number for pass phrase. If no answer or wrong phrase dispatch police.
    Door at commercial property open or closing outside of set hours (i.e. Store scheduled to open at 15 min window either side of 6am (5:45am-6:15am) opens at 3am - call phone number for pass phrase. If no answer or wrong phrase dispatch police.
    Fire alarm at either residential or commercial property - immediate dispatch of fire department, then call for pass phrase.

That company was eventually bought out by ADT but I have no idea if they still have a call center there.

Top Bottom