• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    In case you hadn't heard, Google Voice is finally accepting sign-ups after almost a year in closed trials. I was lucky enough to get in when it was still Grand Central, before Google bought them and closed the application. For those living in caves, Google Voice is a phone aggregation (or replacement) service. When you sign up, you're given a Google Voice phone number. You can then register any of your other phones (cell phone, home, work, etc.). When someone calls your Google number, it will simultaneously ring all of your registered phones. It also includes a large number of other very useful features. And it's free.

http://voice.google.com

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have had 4 Google phone numbers for several years now. They're awesome.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I've used this service since it was called "Grand Central" WAAAAY before google bought them out. I still have 3 invites if anyone wants..

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I really like Grand Central... oops, I mean Google Voice. I've had it for years. There are rarely any problems but I did have one. I do contract work for an India company (long story). They have a US phone number on the caller ID when they call me but they are actually calling from India. Now the call would come through and ring all of the phones like it should and I was able to answer it but we couldn't hear each other. I don't know if it still works like that or has been resolved. I've had to give them direct numbers now which I really didn't want to do but that's the only way it would work.

All in all, I really like it.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh and the other issue is that only two google numbers can use a home phone as one of the phones to ring. So we are unable to set up my daughters number to dial home.

It comes in handy though when/if you change cell numbers. You just change it in google voice and you are good to go.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Whatever you want. To an extent, you get to choose your phone numbers. For instance, my number has the letters "lyric" in it (59742).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's been awhile since I registered a phone number there, but I think it's doing a search for you to see if that number (or string) is available.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    It's been awhile since I registered a phone number there, but I think it's doing a search for you to see if that number (or string) is available.

Yeah, this. If it is telling you that what you're trying isn't available, that means GV is unable to find a number that meets your criteria. Try a shorter set of numbers/letters.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    EVERYTHING I try(I've tried about 75-100 different variations) says "sorry, no results for..."

If there aren't any results, shouldn't that number be available? I'd think so, but it just keeps telling me to "search again."

I'm clueless.

Edit: I think I figured it out.

Did you go by something catchy, or did you use something with your zip/area code?

I found a 69 BENNY. LOL

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I just signed up today after reading up on the voicemail features. However, I couldn't get the Voicemail to work correctly with my phone! :( when calling my phone it won't go to anything. Even though my phone was set to forward to the Google Talk Voicemail number! I tried this RIGHT AFTER signing up so maybe I'll give it the night to think about it and try it again in the morning!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I read the Google help but it wasn't clear, so here's my question:

If I currently do not have land-line service, can I get google voice and simply connect a landline phone to my computer and have service? Also, I see a bit about "charges" but nowhere does it state the amount.

I want a landline phone in my home for free or cheap. Will this accomplish it?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I read the Google help but it wasn't clear, so here's my question:

If I currently do not have land-line service, can I get google voice and simply connect a landline phone to my computer and have service? Also, I see a bit about "charges" but nowhere does it state the amount.

I want a landline phone in my home for free or cheap. Will this accomplish it?

I think you're misunderstanding what it does. It's not a free voice-over-IP service. It's a phone aggregator. It allows you to use a single centralized phone number as a front-end for all of your current phones. It does include some features such as voicemail, however.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Oh yeah definitely misunderstood. Sorry about that. I don't see a big need in my life for the services that you described, so I think this is it for me now. Thanks for your help.

Any line on hella-cheap VOIP?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom