• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skientz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    I'd recommend an Encore, with a barrel for 454 casull or the S&w 460. Ammo is available if you don't reload, and they are both 125 yd guns. Recoil isn't bad. If you reload you could go with the .357 max or .445 super mag. Actually with those 2 calibers you can shoot .357 magnum or 44 magnum factory ammo. I have the 357, 445 and 454 barrels from MGM, probably get the 460 barrel later this year.

Steve

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Marlin .44 Magnum

DeerRifle.jpg

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    I use a ruger carbine 44 MAG. They dont make them anymore but you can find them every now and then online. I've used it 2 years now and had great success. I got it because it is light, short, and semi auto and i like a ruger. That said i have shot it 4 times while hunting and killed 4 deer so i guess a single shot would have worked!! One thing you might look at is if you have a pistol in any of the "deer" calibers so you can shoot the same ammo in both guns. Just something to think about. I Use the Ruger, my brother uses a Brownin lever gun, and Dad a Marlin lever gun. Just all in what you want and want to spend. Good luck

Denny L

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Bullet diam. at leat .357 // Case length maxof 1.8 ... Lever , single shot , AR platform and the lsit go on. Depends on budget and remeber ammo the bigger the bullet the higher the cost I relaod and just had a Handi reamed to 445 Super Mag. 340 JSP and 30 grains of 110 for 2150 FPS awsome rifle but Bass Pro shop does ot sell ammo can still shoot 44 special and 44 magnum

mstlouis1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Greenwood
    with a little money and a lot of time i have a mossberg 500 12 gauge that is pie plate accurate at 250 yards. it's been a good deer weapon but this year i plan on switching to a 44 mag rifle. a shotgun or muzzle loader will probably the more cost effective route but tends to get be a bit much in the weight department when out in the field all day.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Do a good muzzle loader. Then if firearms season does not work out, you can go during muzzle loader season without having to buy another weapon. And if you get a ML that will allow you to change barrels, you have the ability to have multiple guns on one frame.:twocents:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Do a good muzzle loader. Then if firearms season does not work out, you can go during muzzle loader season without having to buy another weapon. And if you get a ML that will allow you to change barrels, you have the ability to have multiple guns on one frame.:twocents:

The other benefit of different MLs is that you can use the same bullet as some of your handguns. The 45 cal 250 or 300 gr XTP-mag is cheap and can be used in sabots, 45 colts and .454 Casulls. Nice to have a "do-all" bullet!

Top Bottom