• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I'm looking for a revolver for around $500, but don't want super expensive ammo so .357 is out. 9mm? Is there such thing as a .40 revolver?

Thanks!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, a Smith and Wesson 610 is a 10 mm revolver that with shoot .40 S&W with moon clips. Priced in the $1000 range. Since .357 revolvers readily shoot .38 spl, I would not rule that caliber out. There are lots of them new and used. Good Luck

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Here is a Charter Arms in .40. I have no idea on whether or not if its a good revolver.

Charter Pit Bill #74020

As far as the .357 ammo being too expensive you can shoot .38 spl out of them at the range to lower the cost a bit. I always liked the Ruger SP101 as a great just about indestructible revolver.

Dang you boys are quick, 2 answers while I was typing mine!!

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I'm looking for a revolver for around $500, but don't want super expensive ammo so .357 is out. 9mm? Is there such thing as a .40 revolver?

Thanks!

What are you wanting to do, plink, target shoot, carry, home defence? A little more info will get you better responses.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sounds like you are in the market for a .357/ 38 spl revolver, if used is OK, look at Smiths and Rugers, always a deal to be had in that price range. If you just have to have new, Charter arms might be a good option for you. As far as ammo, 38 Special is as cheap, or nearly as cheap as 9mm, even in decent SD loads, and will work just fine in a 357 Mag revolver.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Id also vote SP101. Or even the GP100 3" bbl. While .357 can be expensive, the self defense ammo isnt much if any more expensive than the same brand 9mm.
    For practice or plinking, you can find pretty cheap .38 spl. ammo for about the same price. Rural King had 9mm pmc for 14.99/box and Remington .38 spl for 16.99/box. Thats .34 ea vs .30 ea. Would be an extra $40 per 1000 shot.
    Of course I do understand that even that amount is enough to keep some from doing it as everyones budget is tight.

If you must have a revolver chambered in a different caliber, you can get a used SP101 in 9mm, and I think Smith made one too. Taurus still makes one in 9mm, and according to their site, .40 too.

You didnt say what the purpose was, but if its plinking, a .22 would be the way to go. For self defense, .357 really hard to beat.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Can't go wrong with a used S&W model 19. They can be had in the $400-$500 dollar range and are available in various barrel lengths. My second choice would be a Ruger SP101, again can't go wrong with one of them

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    I wouldn't purchase another Taurus at any price! I recently bought a new 608. absolute junk! I spent 8 hours inside of this revolver smoothing and polishing before it would function correctly. The cylinder would not swing out without a smack from the side of my hand. They do not seem to care how they assemble their guns. They ARE cheap!

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I have a Ruger SP101 4" and love it. Great gun to shoot but a bit large for me to conceal. So I got a Ruger LCR .357 for $499. Love that gun too. I can reload .38/.357 for a little under $8/ 50. It's cheaper for me to shoot .357 than it is 9mm bought from a store. Plus you never have to chase your brass!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    For CC a Smith J frame or Ruger LCR(did I just say Ruger:n00b:) both are under your price range and are great guns for the money. Taurus and Charter Arms are good guns for the money in my experience as a former FFL holder I sold several of each and owned a couple of each and never had any problems with them. IMHO you get what you pay for and pay for what you get.
    If you are looking for a bigger gun than a stub nose look at a used K frame Smith or Ruger SP101. Bigger and heavier but more fun to shoot on the range.
    A couple used Smith K frames were in the classified ad's the last time I checked.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't purchase another Taurus at any price! I recently bought a new 608. absolute junk! I spent 8 hours inside of this revolver smoothing and polishing before it would function correctly. The cylinder would not swing out without a smack from the side of my hand. They do not seem to care how they assemble their guns. They ARE cheap!

Maybe that was just your particular gun. I will agree that a Taurus may not be as good as a Colt or a S&W, but for a utility gun they are fine. If you were having such difficulties, Taurus should have been able to help. Actions may not be as smooth as a well worn Colt, but you should never have to "smack" the cylinder to open it up. I have a model 85CH and other than the trigger pull being heavy, it works fine. I have a Wolff kit to help out with that. When I finish my bench, I will smooth up the action and install the spring kit. I fully expect it to be a sweet shooting pocket gun!:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Maybe that was just your particular gun. I will agree that a Taurus may not be as good as a Colt or a S&W, but for a utility gun they are fine. If you were having such difficulties, Taurus should have been able to help. Actions may not be as smooth as a well worn Colt, but you should never have to "smack" the cylinder to open it up. I have a model 85CH and other than the trigger pull being heavy, it works fine. I have a Wolff kit to help out with that. When I finish my bench, I will smooth up the action and install the spring kit. I fully expect it to be a sweet shooting pocket gun!:)

I just hit my 1000th post!:rockwoot:

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I'd say go with a model 19 if you can find it. Possibly a 686, but I believe they are a little over the $500 range. If you are dead set against .357, you could get a good deal on a model 10 in .38 special.
    I would stay in the S&W line. I like the feel of them over the Rugers and there isn't much of a price difference.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    gander sells a rossi .357 for like 350-400. i dont know about them specifically but ive looked at them before. they at least look competent.

for a good revolver, with a capacity for defense, you cant go wrong with a .357.
    full mag loads will stop any two-legged game, and an ability to take .38 special makes it reasonable to train with.

i carry a revolver as EDC, a LCR .357, FWIW

Top Bottom