• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Looking for a self contained iphone app that wont break the bank for GPS. The last purpose built GPS for hiking I bought is a Rino 130. Yeah, that old. I have several old iphones in Otterbox Defender cases, so hardware is taken care of. But I cant rely on cellular for map updates. (no sim card)

I saw that AllTrails was recommended. Any other suggestions?

And I want a one and done purchase. Not a subscription where I have to continually pay to access data. While road GPS is updated CONSTANTLY, topo doesnt update nearly as often... obviously. So it seems silly to pay for a subscription to a service that the content doesnt change hardly at all. If ever. I mean, how often do new park trails get carved?

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    From a fellow *monkey, I know Google maps will let you download areas for free. I've only used it driving, and only on Android, so ymmv.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Out of curiosity, I just looked again... So (at least in my app) it does have a "terrain" layer. A topo map it is not though. While I've used it for some things in the past, it looks like it's useless for hiking.

Following along because I'm curious too...
    ad589f1ad6a345113cbfc247997e0cf0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tthanks, I'll give it a try. terrain doesnt exist in the browser that I could find so I assumed it was the same on a handheld.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes. It says so right in in the OP. Trying not to spend hundreds of dollars for a dedicated unit when I could do it for much less with an app.

In all fairness, I didn't realize the Rino 130 was a Garmin either. :) I assumed Rino was the brand. I used to have a Topographical map app on my phone, but I don't know if it worked offline or not. I know it worked real time, and would even show your position as you moved around (used it on the boat when running at night if it was really dark), but it was a major battery hog when I did that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In all fairness, I didn't realize the Rino 130 was a Garmin either. :) I assumed Rino was the brand. I used to have a Topographical map app on my phone, but I don't know if it worked offline or not. I know it worked real time, and would even show your position as you moved around (used it on the boat when running at night if it was really dark), but it was a major battery hog when I did that.

Looking at his post speed, he sees something shiny.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cm, I was just looking for apps on my phone and saw ATLOGIS mentioned a lot, as well as BackCountry and Topo Maps (RealGeography), but I'm guessing you've looked into those. I don't know anything about them. I was hoping I'd see the app I used to have but I didn't recognize any of them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The more I look at apps, the more I am leaning to a previous gen Garmin. I can find them for under $150 and they are solid. My Rinos arent bad, but the screen is a bit small. I guess I can always wear my glasses. :dunno:

Gaia and Backcountry are tops in my lists.

Top Bottom