Good Lord I am So TIRED of hunting state land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's even simpler, I hunted public lands for 6 years, see someone in a stand go somewhere else, if the stand is empty than first come first serve.

I understand. I would never hunt that way, but it's state land so if someone decides to move in there's not much I can do. There are going to be days like that on state land so one needs to be prepared to not let it ruin a nice day. I have 3 stands at Winamac and I have permission to use 3 others when they're not being used. It's not worth the aggravation.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My ground borders the HNF, I get a few problems, but I'm almost always alone when I'm hunting. Access points and parking lots are way north and east of me an very few people walk that far. Ginseng, mushroom and turkey season are worse for tresspassers as those are all easier to carry.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I understand. I would never hunt that way, but it's state land so if someone decides to move in there's not much I can do. There are going to be days like that on state land so one needs to be prepared to not let it ruin a nice day. I have 3 stands at Winamac and I have permission to use 3 others when they're not being used. It's not worth the aggravation.

I use a climber so I can adjust my hunt depending on who is in my "spot". I scout several week before the season starts, and IMHO, I have as much right to the spot I scouted as anyone else, you get there before in than fine I'm moving somewhere else. I hunted Morgan Monroe State Forest and really never had any issues, yeah my spots required a bit of a walk to get to, so maybe this was the reason. I had more problems with hikers, but than again public lands, so they have as much right to be there as I do.

I hope you are able get your hunting lease and can enjoy your hunts again. Best of luck.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I gave it an honest effort when I got out of the Army. My last attempt pushed me over the edge after doing everything I could think of to distance myself from other people and it still failed. I will never hunt public ground in Indiana again. I wish you all the best and hope things work out so you can enjoy some quality hunting but if my current situation were to change and I lost the ground I currently enjoy I'll be selling off a lot of gear and picking up a new pastime.

You said it dog! I actually did sell off a lot of guns and gear. Its over for me. Gots me a boat now! :cool:

Feels good to be done!

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    People come up with all sort of ways to deal with overcrowding but are missing the point. If I go out to the woods it is for peace and solitude. No matter the manner in dealing with overcrowding it invalidates the purpose to begin with. I can stay in town to fight for space with less hassle and expense.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If you do decide to go the hunting lease route, beware:

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5528446/

Thanks for the heads up. This particular case strikes me as pretty stupid. How did this guy figure he wouldn't get caught in short time. I'm planning to contact landowners directly and hopefully find someone who isn't looking for crazy big money for a lease.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    People come up with all sort of ways to deal with overcrowding but are missing the point. If I go out to the woods it is for peace and solitude. No matter the manner in dealing with overcrowding it invalidates the purpose to begin with. I can stay in town to fight for space with less hassle and expense.

:+1: and Amen!

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I love the hunt, and I'm willing to walk a long way to get away from most of the guys. Until I find some private land to hunt that's within a reasonable driving distance, it's about my only choice unless I want to give up deer hunting. I'd rather work a little harder than most guys for a better experience, but I'm not ready to give up hunting, I love it too much to do that.

Yes, spot on. If you are consistently bumping into other people. You are probably doing something wrong in the first place. On state land I try to get as far in as possible. Most of these guys you are bumping into are too lazy to actually scout and walk deep into the woods.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I spoke with DNR quite some time ago about hunting from a boat. In Indiana it is legal as long as it is not powered. Can't have a motor on it whether you are using it or not. ie. canoe, rowboat, etc.

Top Bottom