• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes and as far as I know the broken lights were on SWAT pistols which see considerably more use than others. I'm not knocking the TLR-1 lights, for the money they are a good quality light and light years better than the Insight M3.

No worries! I don't have an emotional attachment to such things (but since so many people do, you have to be careful).

I was curious because lightweight .40s beat the crap out of things like the operator, lights, etc. It's impressive that the SureFire lights lights can tolerate that indefinitely even though they are SureFire!

The Streamlight lights can take some pretty good impacts, but if they're going to fail, recoil from a .40 is going to make it happen over time. I would not expect them to be as prone to failure when mounted on a 9mm or .45, but you never know.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    No worries! I don't have an emotional attachment to such things (but since so many people do, you have to be careful).

I was curious because lightweight .40s beat the crap out of things like the operator, lights, etc. It's impressive that the SureFire lights lights can tolerate that indefinitely even though they are SureFire!

The Streamlight lights can take some pretty good impacts, but if they're going to fail, recoil from a .40 is going to make it happen over time. I would not expect them to be as prone to failure when mounted on a 9mm or .45, but you never know.

I have replaced the TLR-1s on my M&P 9 twice. The first time it failed it had about 4k rds under its belt. The second time it was barely over 1k. And now now the standard TLR-1 is using the circuitry as the 1s but with out the strobe function. I am not sure switching the the TLR-1 to the new circuitry is a good thing.

I now have a Surefire x300 mounted under the M&P9 and have not had any issues in 4k rds.

YMMV

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wether or not it's the streamlight or Surefire, if you had a weapon light, is it better to keep it on your gun,(using it on your EDC) or to take it on and off? (using it on your night stand gun)

I'm just curios if doing one of those 2 will increase or decrease the life of the light.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have replaced the TLR-1s on my M&P 9 twice. The first time it failed it had about 4k rds under its belt. The second time it was barely over 1k. And now now the standard TLR-1 is using the circuitry as the 1s but with out the strobe function. I am not sure switching the the TLR-1 to the new circuitry is a good thing.

Interesting ... thanks for the data points.

Wether or not it's the streamlight or Surefire, if you had a weapon light, is it better to keep it on your gun,(using it on your EDC) or to take it on and off? (using it on your night stand gun)

I'm just curios if doing one of those 2 will increase or decrease the life of the light.

I doubt if it will make a difference, but I don't have a lot of experience there. My engineer's SWAG (scientific wild-a** guess) is that the biggest threat to the light is repetitive impulse from firing the gun. I've never broken one, but I've also not fired thousands of rounds with one mounted on a gun.

Based on what the others have said (and Surefire's reputation), you're probably not going to break their light unless that is your goal.

Superj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Florida
    I love my surefire x300 mounted on my G17. I bought it over the phone from brightflashlights.com out of north Florida as they had the lowest price that I could find anywhere.

Top Bottom