• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    i saw a video where a guy uses a shotgun for his home defense weapon and the first shell loaded is rubber shot and the rest are lethal shells. this seems to be a very smart idea.

1. i have family members with keys to my home. they know i have firearms and would not just walk in the door, but it is still something to think about before discharging your gun. knowing that the first round out wont kill means less hesitation.

2. that first shot gives you and bad guy time to decide if the second is necessary.

3. if the second shot is necessary it will help in court to show a less lethal option was used before the lethal round was fired.

just thought i would share this idea with others who may not have seen it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    i saw a video where a guy uses a shotgun for his home defense weapon and the first shell loaded is rubber shot and the rest are lethal shells. this seems to be a very smart idea.

1. i have family members with keys to my home. they know i have firearms and would not just walk in the door, but it is still something to think about before discharging your gun. knowing that the first round out wont kill means less hesitation.

2. that first shot gives you and bad guy time to decide if the second is necessary.

3. if the second shot is necessary it will help in court to show a less lethal option was used before the lethal round was fired.

You said it yourself, the first shot would give the bad guy time to decide if he shoots you his gun or not (his gun is loaded with REAL bullets).
    I think it's a bad idea that could get you killed.
    You either need to use lethal force, in this case you shoot to kill with real bullets.
    Or you dont need lethal force, in this case you dont shoot at all.
    If your life is not in danger why do you even shoot someone, even with rubber shots? :dunno:
    Is your life is in danger then why not stop the threat right away instead of giving it more time to hurt you?

I seen videos of people shot with those rubber slugs on Youtube, just for fun they shot at eachother.
    They didnt go down, that just made them laugh.
    This non-lethal rounds will not stop a threat, that will not put someone to the ground.Especially if your attacker is on drug or full of adrenaline.

And the first thing you say about being more willing to shoot at someone who could be a family menber, because you know the first round wont kill that person, is just wrong too.
    You have to be sure of your target before you shoot, that's true for any kind of projectile, lethal or not.
    You just dont shoot at shadows because you know it's safe to do so because you have non-lethal rounds.
    You always make sure of your target and then you decide what to do.
    Shoot or not shoot.

Last edited:

Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    What if the BG doesn't have a rubber bullet for his first shot? You may not get a chance to use your second. In any kind of defense (home or otherwise) I would hesitate long enough to identify my target. Just a thought...

Big House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    well my thought is, criminals dont break in to houses with gun blazin like in the movies and most criminals that break in at night to steal your tv are unarmed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    well my thought is, criminals dont break in to houses with gun blazin like in the movies and most criminals that break in at night to steal your tv are unarmed.

If they are unarmed then why do you even need to shoot them? :dunno:
    If I were you I would just use lethal ammo in my gun, if your life is not in danger then you just dont shoot.
    If you life is in danger then no time for rubber bullets foreplay, you need to stop them before they kill you.

It's not just in movies that criminals are armed with guns, I would plan on that too in your home defense scenarios.
    Plan for the worth, hope for the best.

:twocents:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Would you want to risk your life and your families lives? Anyone that breaks into your home is a risk. You have no idea if they're armed, you don't know their intention, or what they are capable of doing.

Don't take that risk. You have to assume that any intruder is a threat to your life and families lives.

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011

. Well that idea got shot down....to an extent I see where u r coming from but,I thinks its best to id target 1st. That's why I keep maglite nxt to bed & a lite on rail of my g19

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would imagine if you hit the dude in the eye and permanently destroy his vision, he'd sue you and, as screwed as the world is, he'd probably win. If I felt endangered enough to even consider firing a shot, and someone entering my home without my permission would certainly rate that feeling, I would want to be sure the threat was rendered harmless as quickly as possible, and a rubber slug aint gonna do it.:twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would imagine if you hit the dude in the eye and permanently destroy his vision, he'd sue you and, as screwed as the world is, he'd probably win. If I felt endangered enough to even consider firing a shot, and someone entering my home without my permission would certainly rate that feeling, I would want to be sure the threat was rendered harmless as quickly as possible, and a rubber slug aint gonna do it.:twocents:

That's right.
    Those rubber rounds can also be lethal in some situations, especially at very close range.
    If the OP plan on shooting at an unarmed burglar to stop him from stealing his TV and kills him with a "non lethal" round, when the burglar was not a threat to his life, then the OP might get in trouble with the justice.

I dont think it's wise to use non lethal ammo if you think that with that type of ammo it's ok to shoot without being sure or your target or shoot when your life is not in danger.

Anything that comes out of a shotgun barrel is serious business.
    You should always be sure of your target and be sure that your life is in danger and that the use of force is justified.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Just FYI, in the case of a home invasion, the use of deadly force is NOT predicated on a threat to your life (which is actually not a statutory standard for ANY use of deadly force in the IC) or the threat of SBI. Deadly force is permitted to stop an unlawful entry to your home, occupied vehicle or curtilage. What you wish to use for a personal standard for the use of deadly force is up to each person, but I just wanted to clarify what the IC says.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

3. if the second shot is necessary it will help in court to show a less lethal option was used before the lethal round was fired. just thought i would share this idea with others who may not have seen it.

Bad idea. If you have family memebers that you are close enough for you to give keys to then you should also explaine to them your are and armed citizen and will defend your home to unexpected "visitors". Second the first shot gives him or his buddy behind him time to blow your head off. And last thing I am going to worry about is proving my case in court when to it comes to the safety of my family. To other peoples point: invest in a good tactical flashlight to identify who you are shooting at, and iff you get one that over 200 lumens it will "night blind" them too and help getg a tactical advantage.

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Just FYI, in the case of a home invasion, the use of deadly force is NOT predicated on a threat to your life (which is actually not a statutory standard for ANY use of deadly force in the IC) or the threat of SBI. Deadly force is permitted to stop an unlawful entry to your home, occupied vehicle or curtilage. What you wish to use for a personal standard for the use of deadly force is up to each person, but I just wanted to clarify what the IC says.

Also very true. Commonly refered to as "castle doctrine" Yes I know there is always legal waves you have to incur, but at least know you live is a state that is much more supportive of defending your home then a lot of them.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you are forced to kill in order to save your life, then kill.
    If you are not forced to kill in order to save your life, do not pull the trigger.
    Period.

On a side note, I have always wondered how high the bouncy ball could go when fired from a non-lethal shotgun shell if fired onto concrete at a 75 degree angle.

Top Bottom