• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • killshot500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    marion
    what would be the best bran i wanting to get something with a short tactical barrel and a pistol grip either pump or semi auto wanting it for around the house so i need something that will work when needed unlike my Taurus

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    My preference is for pump action ala 870 or 500. If you want to know why its because everyone in the world knows that sound of the action cycling in the middle of the night. Bad juju for burglars.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If it's a pump, it makes that unmistakable sound that every bad guy knows and doesn't want to hear. I have a Winchester Model 1200 12 guage with 4 in the tube, 7 1/2 target, low brass 6, high brass 4, 00 buck in that order. It has a nylon shell holder on the stock that has 3 00 buck and 2 deer slugs in case the sound the slide makes doesn't deter the intruder.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

But get something with a butt stock on it, the pistol grip only models suck for accuracy.

Good advice on the buttstock. I've been satisfied with both the 500 and 870 models and have settled on the 870 for the time being. It's safety is at the rear of the trigger guard, whereas the Mossberg's tang-type is at the top rear of the receiver. I'm still running across fair examples of both in the $2-300 range.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been thinking about getting a Judge for those reasons.

I've got a 4" barreled Judge, and "Box-O-Truth" not-with-standing, I would trust that thing inside the average size room as much as any other handgun.

I have some of the 3-disc personal defense shot and that stuff is devastating at 7-10yards.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Can't go wrong with the 870 or 500. To shave a few dollars could always go with a maverick 88 or a new england remington copy. Most if not all aftermarket parts fit and can usually get them for a bit less than the name brand ones.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Mossberg 500 with pistol grip, I added the folding stock. If memory serves me correctly it is 9+1 with 2 3/4 shells, less with 3" but forget how much less.
    Anyways, some good advice so far. I ended up with the folding stock because a pistol grip is ideal when in the home/confined areas. Nothing worse then trying to maneuver a full sized shotgun around corners and such. With only a pistol grip, the shotgun is worthless for most anything else though. Check out youtube videos of people trying to shoot a pistol grip while looking down the sites. Usually ends bad.
    As far as the shot over penetrating, use a light bird shot.

100_2027.jpg

Hogie08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    My preference is a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel, pistol grip and adjustable butt stock. The reason I would go with the 20" over the 18.5" is that I would rather have 3 more rounds than an 1.5" shorter.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Add a vote for the Moss 500! Keep it stock though :twocents:

Spend money on a class before you bother trying to make it tacticool!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    The suggestions about the sound of racking a shotgun, or giving any real world recommendations for the Judge, sound like crap I hear from the jokers behind the counters of most gunshops.

Look at some Youtube videos of people shooting pistol-grip 12ga shotguns, or go run a few buck & slugs through one. You do not want one for HD. Hogue makes a great youth stock, and Knoxx makes a wonderful recoil-absorbing, length-adjustable stock, for the Rem. 870 or Mossy 500.

Check out, here, what Clint Smith, a well respected firearms instructor, has to say about HD with a shotgun. Do a lot more research on your own, but this isn't a bad place to start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSLxxDWpOI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSLxxDWpOI[/ame]

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 with my preference going to the 870.

And this...

405174929.jpg

:+1:

:rofl:

The suggestions about the sound of racking a shotgun, or giving any real world recommendations for the Judge, sound like crap I hear from the jokers behind the counters of most gunshops.

Look at some Youtube videos of people shooting pistol-grip 12ga shotguns, or go run a few buck & slugs through one. You do not want one for HD. Hogue makes a great youth stock, and Knoxx makes a wonderful recoil-absorbing, length-adjustable stock, for the Rem. 870 or Mossy 500.

Check out, here, what Clint Smith, a well respected firearms instructor, has to say about HD with a shotgun. Do a lot more research on your own, but this isn't a bad place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSLxxDWpOI

:+1:

Thanks for being more blunt about it than I was willing to be! So true!

Top Bottom