• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Any opinions or places to look. I am completely new to buying bulk ammunition. However, after my last couple of purchases I think I would like to get some extra to keep around. I have looked at Cheaper than dirt and a couple others, but would really like opinions. Mostly looking for .223, 9mm, and 7.62 x 39. Thanks in advance for any help.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Understood part of my specific interest was clean ammunition and when I searched that did not seem to pop up. I may have missed it though. Thanks for your info and I will look more into the searched responses.

I guess I should also be asking what is a good clean ammunition to keep as surplus?

Again thanks for any information.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My rule of thumb when storing ammo is that if the area would be comfortable for me to sleep in, the conditions will be good for my ammo.

I have never used dessicant, but I do store ammo in military ammo cans and plastic MTM cases in various places around the house.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I was planning on using the ammo cans and trying the dessicant.
    However, I am still curious as to whether there is a better ammo than others to keep in surplus. I have read how some think the wolf is kind of dirty, but I have shot it without trouble. I have bought PMC and the name brands, so I am just trying to find what others keep around. Also, where they think the best place is to get it in bulk. My local shop said you have to be careful about added costs, so again, wanted others opinions.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    My apologies then, I will search again and see what I come up with. I was kind of looking for a combination of several attributes and I did not find anyway to search that.

Last edited:

itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    if your ok using wolf then your not to concerned about the quality. do you want brass only or you looking for the zink coated stuff?

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have used wolf, but that was just something cheap to shoot. I would really prefer to use a brass only, from what I have read. I am pretty new to this idea of buying a large quantity of ammunition and just want something that is decent quality and reasonably priced.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you find "good, clean, cheap" ammo for 7.62x39, you be sure to let all of us know, ok? :)

With most things in life, you often get two of those three attributes, but rarely all three in one product. Pick yer poison, sir! ;)

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Honestly, I am not sure what is considered cheap and good ammo. Like I said I am new to the idea of buying in bulk. What I guess I was looking for was something that was safe to store, clean to shoot and something in the 125.00 to 150.00 for 500 range for .223.

I was really looking for opinions as to what someone who wanted a good ammo that was clean shooting for a reasonable (cheap) price would buy. Mostly for the three types of rounds I listed.

Seriously it seems that I should not have asked by some of the responses I have gotten. I did do several searches, but did not find anything that really answered the question I had asked.

Perhaps I should have just asked what dealer(online) has a good balance between price, quality and bulk. If you can help with this I would really appreciate it. I just thought this would be a good place to get opinions.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Your probably only going to find dirty steel cased ammo at this range. If you go to yor local Walmart you can pick up 500 Tulammo 223 for about $125 + tax

Thank you so much, what should I plan on for brass? I just want to know what I should expect before I go out and buy something and what would be a good brass cased ammo to buy?
    Thanks again!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Best price I have seen on ammo was 5.56 m-855 for 300 / 1000 from federal last summer. It was a "get it gone" special and I got one gone for them. It was at Indy tatical supply in mooresville. They had about the same on some 7.62 x 39. This was local (Semi I was working in the area) and taxed. I think the AK stuff was nickel case if I remember correct. The federal was brass.

I highy doubt that 365 days later that deal is still active.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    i got 400 rounds of 5.56 M855 lake city 62gr for just under $200 shipped about a month or so ago, came in an ammo can, this is by far not the best deal out there though, but I wanted to try a small amount before buying a larger quantity. got this from Home and they were SUPER SLOW shipping it, it didnt ship until almost two weeks after I ordered it, but once it shipped it got to me rather quickly.

and also about a month ago I got 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $226 shipped from Ammunitionstore.com (extremely fast shipping!) Havent shot any of the ammo yet and I dont expect it to be clean or super accurate I do however think it will go bang every time i pull the trigger and hit what ever large object I have my AK pointing at.

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals also use this site to help you find the good deals!

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Aim.com has 7.62 for about $109 for some brown beat or wolf....I've put 3k,or 4k through my Arsenal....about a 4" group at 100yrds in the wind....an average chest is about 10".....figure I'm good with that.. :)

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I like Prvi Partizan. It usually comes in plastic sealed battlepacks. It is good clean brass cased ammo. I only have experience with the 7.62x51 and the 5.56 m193.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Best price I have seen on ammo was 5.56 m-855 for 300 / 1000 from federal last summer. It was a "get it gone" special and I got one gone for them. It was at Indy tatical supply in mooresville. They had about the same on some 7.62 x 39. This was local (Semi I was working in the area) and taxed. I think the AK stuff was nickel case if I remember correct. The federal was brass.

I highy doubt that 365 days later that deal is still active.
    Probably not, but I go buy there once and awhile
    Might help to check, anyway, maybe I can find something else I need?:rolleyes:

Top Bottom