• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Honestly, the only issues I have had is with Winchester white box.

Me too. I had one .40 S&W cartridge that failed to fire. I'm thinking that the case was too short cause I didn't even seen an indention on the primer (don't know I don't reload cant' measure and I didn't keep the round). Messed with my head cause it was on a new gun. Plus they just seem dirtier. But that may be me just not liking them.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If you live in Hobart, why not give Precision Cartridge a call? They're right down the street from you. Spending your money at local suppliers is important these days.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I agree, federal red box in all calibers is well priced and reliable, never had any issues with wwb either it just costs a bit more. Home and self defense I prefer hornaday crit def, and spear gold dot. But honestly you can shoot a light load and as long as it hits your target you should be good. Do not get Tula at wal-mart my buddy made that mistake, it is the dirtiest ammo I have ever seen and is not reliable.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    Unless you like to reload and you run into the small primer .45ACP brass:xmad:

That is the reason I dont buy Federal anything anymore.

I agree, it still shoots fine but you need to check the primer strikes in your weapon before you buy federal 45 if your firing pin strikes are a little irratic you may not get a solid strike on the primer and are better off getting something with large primers

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    I use Remington, Federal, American Eagle, Fiochhi, etc for plinking/practice. Honestly, whatever is cheaper when I am looking

Personal Protection I use Cor-bon and Hornady FPD. Been using FPD moreso lately.

krvincen

Marksman
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    May 20, 2011
    Osceola
    Ive always had great luck with federal american eagle for plinking. The only time I remember having any real problems with factory ball ammo was with 9mm fiochi. Always had a few out of every box of 50 that you could strike the primer all day long and never get it to fire.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I prefer the green/white box Remington 115 grain ball (9mm) for practice. It's clean and accurate in my XDms. I check Rural King/Dicks and Walmart (in that order as I HATE going to Walmart) for sales and I tend to buy 2-3 boxes at a time when I find them for less than 12.99. My second choice for practice is the red/black box Federal Champion sold at Walmart. It's OK...those tend to "spit" a little out of every gun (Glocks, XDms, etc) so it's kind of irritating.

For defense I urge one and all to STOP buying the ripoff JHPs sold at local retail stores in 20-25 round boxes! This is such a ridiculous scam! They should be avoided at all costs! The SAME (and often better selections) are sold to Law Enforcement in 50 round boxes for the SAME price or a few bucks more!

So get all your defense ammo online in 50 round boxes from places like:

Kyle's Gunshop, Inc.

I get 124 grain +P 9mm Gold-dots and Federal HST from them for my carry guns.

bianjd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Hobart
    Good call on Precision Cartridge I forgot all about them and my uncle works there part time in the winter to stay busy he is retired I will give him a call and see what I can find out. I will post any info I get if useful to any of you

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    I know I'm really late on this post but I'm bored.... I've shot a 50 box of Rem. UMC and about 200 of the Federals. I also have a FNH 9, never noticed much of a difference in either. I'm going Sat. to go buy some bulk 9mm for the range and a few boxes for HD and 12ga 00 buck ammo maybe from Gander Mtn.( ya ya I know I have a gift card for my b-day, only reason...).

Top Bottom