• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm not sure pricing on the Bushmaster, but Stag and Rock River are pretty good for the money. I saw a complete Stag from Midwest Gun Exchange for ~ $700 at the last 1500

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Bushmaster is squarely in the middle-ground of ARs overall, and near the top of "big factory" ARs, IMO.

Your link looks good (as long as it's the flat top version), but I don't know how much difference in physical weight you're adding with a heavy barrel vs. government profile.

I have this one and have been VERY pleased with it thus far: Bushmaster - Law Enforcement Rifles

Because you're new to ARs in general, I highly recommending giving this a thorough reading, as it will help you decide what features could be important to you, depending on your "mission": So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    I wouldn't get a Bushmaster because I'm pretty salty toward them due to the fast one they pulled w/ the ACR but thats just me being a douche. Overall the Bushy is an excellent firearm but as OneBadV8 said, don't rule out Stag or Rock River. These are both excellent firearms. I have a STAG myself, I've ran about 500 rounds through it flawlessly.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I had 2 different Bushmaster AR15s.

Both were good to go. I'd say they are one of the good (not great, not crappy) big name AR15 makers. Mine were reliable, I have no complaints. Got rid of mine because I had too many ARs in the safe and they were too similar to some other models that I had but preferred for various reasons.

I would not hesitate to buy another.

RRA and Charles Daly are also good big name AR15s but I think both are slightly better finished than the Bushmaster. But a slightly nicer finish does not mean they are better guns.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Bushmaster, Stag, Rock River, DPMS, Doublestar, Colt, CMMG, Model 1, Del-Ton to mention a few. Shop hard for the deals, new and used.

CMMG currently has a bargin barrel sale with complete new rifles (16 and 18 inch barrels) for $599. I have heard nothing but good things about this sale. CMMG had the sale last year too.

CMMG and Stag also have piston AR's for around a $1000 on Gunbroker.com.

There all kinds of AR rifles, uppers, lowers new or used for sale; in the Equipment Exchange section at AR15.com.

Welcome to the Black Rifle addiction. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I had 2 different Bushmaster AR15s.

Both were good to go. I'd say they are one of the good (not great, not crappy) big name AR15 makers. Mine were reliable, I have no complaints. Got rid of mine because I had too many ARs in the safe and they were too similar to some other models that I had but preferred for various reasons.

I would not hesitate to buy another.

RRA and Charles Daly are also good big name AR15s but I think both are slightly better finished than the Bushmaster. But a slightly nicer finish does not mean they are better guns.
    Contrary to Melensdad, I had two Bushies, one new and one used and both were crap. Constant FTF and FTE's. Even an AR armorer said "send it back to Bushmaster"! I went away from AR for awhile thinking that ALL ar's are that way. I ended up being talked into a Stag Arms by Russ at Ranger Supply. I have shot perhaps 5000 rounds through the two rifles I have bought/built through him and I have had ZERO problems. I do not go around bashing Bushmaster though because they seem to make a good rifle btu my experience was not a positive one.

y3khunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    We have sold dozens of CMMG's rifles, they are top notch, we have had 1 problem ever, and CMMG has gone above and beyond in solving it. They are great rifles at a great price point, Stag is another great brand, although slightly more money. I use a CMMG piston upper myself.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bushmasters are great1

I have a plain Jane Bushy with a 20" barrel and it shoots better than I do. Can hit the X's at 200 yrds Iron sights, every once and a while, I know I can shoot better if I get more practice!

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    My brand hasn't seen much love on here, so I'll put in a shameless plug.

I picked up a DPMS AP-4 at the height of the price hike, paid out the rear end for it at the time. Aside from that, I've been nothing but thrilled with the purchase. It now also looks nothing like it did when I brought it home....gotta love the customization.

The only failures to feed were from me being stupid and not seating the mag in enough. Once I stopped being stupid on that first range trip, it has run flawlessly.

I think DPMS is still a fairly economical brand compared to many others, and I would recommend giving one a serious look.

Top Bottom