• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    Posted this over at THR but thought I'd get some input here as well.

I am 21 and am just getting into guns. I went to the range last weekend for the first time and had a great time. I'm looking to purchase my first handgun, but I'm going into my last year of college and will (hopefully) be in medical school for 4 years after that, so money will be pretty tight for a while. So I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive (~500$ range) that can be used for CC, home defense, target practice, etc. Basically something that can do it all.

I've been looking around and I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices. The Glock 19 comes pretty highly recommended, the only thing that worries me is the lack of a grip or manual safety. Obviously I don't plan on doing anything stupid, but I am new and can't rule out that it may happen, and just having the trigger safety on the Glock worries me a bit.

I have also been looking at the xD series, however I'm not really sure what would be the most comparable in size/concealability to the Glock 19. For what it's worth, I shot the Glock 17 and the xd9 sc at the range, and liked the xD a bit more. I think I'd like something in between the two as far as size though. As far as I can tell though, the Glock sounds to be a bit more reliable, which is nice since this will most likely be my only gun for a while.

I am still open to other suggestions, but since I'm trying to narrow down the search I've tried to limit it to these. I am aware that there are tons of xD vs glock threads, and I have read a bunch of them, but is there any 9mm that would best fit my needs as kind of an all purpose gun? Thanks in advance

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive (~500$ range) that can be used for CC, home defense, target practice, etc. Basically something that can do it all.

Glock 19. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/47561-g19_-_the_best_of_the_best.html

the only thing that worries me is the lack of a grip or manual safety. Obviously I don't plan on doing anything stupid, but I am new and can't rule out that it may happen, and just having the trigger safety on the Glock worries me a bit.

The Glock actually has 3 safeties, they're just all passive. I'd recommend a basic pistol class, as this will help reinforce the proper mindset that your brain is the only safety you need.

All that being said, you really can't go wrong with the Glock, XD, or M&P. Whatever you decide on, get training on how to properly use it-- THAT is the most important part.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    PT99 can't be beat. Chews up and spits out anything you feed it. Built like a tank, and more accurate than YOU are most of the time.

I've had mine for 20yrs, and it's never missed lick. It's NOT the lightest, or the snazziest, but you can usually pick up a used one for under $500, generally WAY under!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Don't forget to check out Sigs. They're very good. Try a 226 and a 229 on for size and look for a used one of either. On the 226 specifically look for a used W. German model. I believe it's the best combat pistol available today in that price range. Also look at the Sigpros, since you seem to like plastic framed pistols.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I would have to vote for the G26. But you might also check out the Hi-Points. A 9mm runs less than $200.00. They also have a lifetime warrent.

:ingo:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I would go with the Glock 19 also. As far as you wanting to rely on a safety to insure that you don't have an accident, you need to rethink that. Learning good gun handling skills and rules means a lot more than anything mechanical. Good luck to you, have fun and enjoy.

Remember to post with which ever one you get.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Im going to go down another path besides the glocks and xds.. I would check out the Taurus pt111. It has the external safety you are looking for and also in my opinion it is one of the most accurate pistols I have shot. Im not the best shot in the world and im hitting bowling pins at 40 yards. Also I have yet to have a ftf out of it. It also feels very good in the hand.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Get the Glock! Yeah it's not sexy looking, but it's simple, dependable, and has the same trigger pull every time. As stated before it's got 3 passive safeties. There's no way that thing can go bang unless you fully pull the trigger. Similar to a revolver, it cocks as the trigger is being pressed. Some people have the misconception that the gun is cocked at all times.

Join the NRA and support your right to own!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I own both a Ruger P-series 9mm and 2 XDs. I'd recommend either of them.

I've never bought a glock, mainly because my infatuation with them ended before I reached puberty.
    It's just a personal preference thing though. Some grownups still like them. :dunno:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Don't go with a 9mm, they won't stop or kill anybody. If you want a REAL gun, a 1911 .45 is the only choice!

Before the nukes start to fly, that was a joke! A Glock 19 is perhaps the second best (haha) choice you could have. Boringly reliable, tough as nails, reliable, accurate, and reliable. Whatever gun you decide, get lessons, take it out and shoot it until you are as comfortable with it in your hand as you are with anything else. They really are great guns or there wouldn't be so many fanatic fans all over the world.

Safe shooting and God Bless America and the troops!

Last edited:

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    I carry a Sig 226 every day. But my wifes choice is a glock 19. I would with proper maint. trust my life or my wife with either. Many of the guns in the market place today could fill the bill for what you want. Shoot your friends guns and ammo. Not enough choices make more friends.

Good luck I am sure you will enjoy the search. And you will enjoy your choice more because of the hunt. Then master the gun you have chosen.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    glock 19
    I got a 23 about ten years ago when I was at Purdue. Did not have much extra cash either, but to this day I am glad that I bought it. Not sure how many rounds I have through it, but I have never had a problem with it, and will never get rid of it. One of my favorites for sure. Have often thought about getting a 19 just because I like the 23 so much.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think 9 mm is a good choice for you. It's the least expensive of the service calibers, which will encourage practice. Stuffed w/modern loads it has adequate penetration and expansion. Similarly sized guns can usually carry more 9 mm rounds, and the recoil won't get in the way of a new shooter's developing good shooting habits.

To make this easy, I would suggest you look at the G19 and the correspondingly-sized Springfield XD9 (and try them at the range if possible).

Get the one that FITS your hand best, and POINTS most naturally for you (they have different grip angles).

(BTW, new SIGs generally go for more than you want to spend. And a P228/229 will be wider and heavier than either the Glock or the XD.)

Top Bottom