• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WormDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    New York =(
    Well I used to live in Indiana:yesway:.. then moved to NY:noway:.. I Have been wanting to escape this state for a while now and our recent gun ban kind of put me over the edge..

I am 22 years old so the thought of doing a long(ish) distance move by myself is kind of intimidating..

So any tips/help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated..

:ar15:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    depends,
    do you have a car?
    a career?
    are you in school?
    what is your main reason for wanting to move back, "gun laws"?
    if so, when in your last 22 years have you had to USE your firearm?
    lots of things to put in perspective before up and moving on..
    However I wish you luck in whatever you decide is right for you.. you're young and will have numerous opportunities!

WormDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    New York =(
    depends,
    do you have a car?
    a career?
    are you in school?
    what is your main reason for wanting to move back, "gun laws"?
    if so, when in your last 22 years have you had to USE your firearm?
    lots of things to put in perspective before up and moving on..
    However I wish you luck in whatever you decide is right for you.. you're young and will have numerous opportunities!

Yes I have a car no established career.. No im not in school

Gun laws is a big factor in wanting to move..

In the last 22 years when have I HAD to use my firearm? How would you react if the politicians in Indiana asked you that question?

EDIT: But yes I have used a firearm (pump shotgun) when my house was being broken into (luckily it didnt have to go bang)

Also ive been generally unhappy since I moved here

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    looks like your schedule is pretty open, I would suggest trying to apply at a few places here in IN and trying to secure a job before moving back.

I live in Indiana, as of right now I don't need to worry about that. :D

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Best of luck to ya....sounds like a job is the first thing you need to worry about, and a place to stay.

Work on that before uprooting yourself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    New York, Oh my. What were you thinking...............:D

Advice posted above is pretty spot on. JOB and a roof.
    Hope you get it done. Tough to do solo but many have.
    U-haul is your friend.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Although I love Indiana I would consider a southern state. NC , SC and Texas are on the upswing. Lining a job up there would be easier and the weather and lower cost of living is something to consider.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What sort of occupation do you have now? Not in school...but do you have a degree, skilled trade certification, etc.?

Indiana has a rising manufacturing sector that supports a wide range of careers. Everything from actual assembly line workers, to mangers, accountents, engineers, etc.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    North Dakota. They are growing by leaps and bounds, economically speaking.

Move while you are single and able.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie

I've moved from IN to GA to CO to AZ to CO and back to IN.

1. Go through your closets, boxes, garage, etc. If you haven't used or worn it in the past year, sell it or donate it or pitch it. The ONLY exception is something with proven value (don't ditch your Honus Wagner rookie card, for instance).

2. Do Step 1 again, and this time pay attention to the little things: OK, so maybe you use your candle holders to burn a candle or you really like that old Budweiser beer cooler you won at the "Boobs and Bikes Rally 2010". But can you get by without them? Buy a new candle holder when you arrive in your new digs. Is the cooler an essential, or just something you never got rid of because you never had to?

3. Boxes for packing: Cough up the cash and buy boxes from the uHaul store. Yes, free boxes from the liquor store are gentle on the wallet. They also are harder to pack. Have the same size boxes, and you'll find those Tetris marathons will come in handy.

4. If you have space to do so, mark off a space in a garage or basement or somewhere that is the SAME SIZE as the uHaul trailer you think you need. Stack EVERYTHING POSSIBLE in that space. No cheating. If it doesn't fit, you can't put it in there.

5. Week before moving day: You should be down to the absolute bare minimum stuff, everything else should be in a box. Pair of jeans, couple pairs of socks, two or three shirts, one pair shoes, toothbrush and comb, personal sidearm. EVERYTHING else in a box. Pictures on the walls? In a box. Front door rug? In a box. Bedding? Boxed. When I moved from CO to IN last September, the last three days I slept on the floor in a sleeping bag, and other than a change of clothes and my camp gear for the overnight (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp stove, bottle of scotch, and a couple freeze-dried meals) everything was packed. I used my phone for an alarm, and a headlamp for lighting. Also, be sure to get your oil changed, all fluids topped (transmission fluid, etc.) and tires rotated and hyper-inflated (check the number on the side of the tire, inflate to the max possible. Will save you gas in the long run.)

6. Packing the uHaul: You don't have as many friends as you think. Beer and pizza might get a couple folks to show up to help, but don't bet on it. Browse the local classifieds, offer $$ to load the trailer. If you get three people, depending on how much stuff you have, you can be done in an hour or two. I actually paid some street corner beggars to unload my uHaul once... they said "Want work, anything helps." I paid two guys $30 each to unload. Best $60 I ever spent, everything done in an hour.

7. Moving day: Your auto is already prepped (Step 5), and you filled up the tank the night before, so grab that single duffle bag with those last items and hit the road. Leave the passenger seat open for sandwiches, the thermos, maps, cigarettes, etc. If you can average 65 mph, you're doing well. Start early... hit the road before the sun rises. I left Denver at 0500, and managed to make Colombia, MO, that same day with plenty of sunlight left to set up camp and exercise the dogs.

8. Arrival day: Grab your bag and essentials, drop them in your new place, unhitch and lock the uHaul, and go find somewhere to get a good meal and a cold beer. Leave the unloading until the next day.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Well I used to live in Indiana:yesway:.. then moved to NY:noway:.. I Have been wanting to escape this state for a while now and our recent gun ban kind of put me over the edge..

I am 22 years old so the thought of doing a long(ish) distance move by myself is kind of intimidating..

:ar15:

:yesway: Have a job or prospect at least and or a place to live while you are finding one. Good Luck and Welcome Back to Indiana

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do you have a friend or family in Indiana whose address you can use for job correcpondence (ex. on your resume)?

Using a more local address on a resume can get you more offers than using an out of state address as employers sometimes don't want to deal with the logistical hassles of interviewing out of state people and/or the prospect of relocating them. Just a tip.

Kudos for regaining your sanity btw. Look forward to having you back in the third most free state in the union.

Top Bottom