• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Well, I'm getting to the point where I want to start enjoying the outdoors more and my son is getting older (he'll be 7 this year) where he wants to do things with dad....so I thought why not start hunting?

Now don't get me wrong, it will be a few years before he starts doing any hunting, but I want to get a headstart (I've never once been hunting...EVER)

I've been doing some research online and I THINK the route to go would possibly be a shotgun (it could double as home defense too) and was looking at the Remington 870. Would any of you recommend this? I noticed that shotgun shells are pretty pricey and I would be killing off a lot of money practicing. :(

Should I go with a shotgun or just use a rifle?

I am COMPLETELY open to suggestions guys because I am a complete NOOB when it comes to this stuff....I'm a computer nerd, not a hunter! :dunno: lol

Thanks for any info you can help me with INGO. :)

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In Indiana a good shot gun for all around hunting is your best choice for a first gun. The 870 is one of the best basic shot guns on the market. They sell a combo with a slug barrel for deer hunting at a very reasonable price...I suggest you get a 12 guage to start....you can hunt rabbits, squirrels, deer Phaesent etc all with the same gun:twocents:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    First things first. Welcome to INGO. Next and I'm sure there will be lots of additional suggestions, but figure out what you want to hunt. Where do you have access? If you are hunting mainly in Indiana a shotgun is your best all around bet and the 870 is a good reliable solution to a variety of hunting and home defense situations. Read lots of magazines, ask lots more questions here. If you know someone that hunts what you are interested in hunting get with them and pick their brain. Until you decide what species you want to hunt it will be difficult to help too much more.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I would highly recommend the 870. Very durable and you can find parts for it galore. I don't hunt, but I have one as a home defense gun and it has served very well. Mine came with the short slug barrel and the longer trap style barrel.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    The 870 would be a good choice, but as others have stated: What do you intend to hunt, where, etc. Give us some more specifics as to your interests and we will be able to guide you better.

Also, don't forget that hunters ed course! :)

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Sounding good so far guys...keep the suggestions coming!

Yeah, I live in New Castle, IN and will mainly be hunting deer, rabbit, squirrel...that type of stuff.

I'm mainly asking just because with tax check on its way, I will most likely be hitting the pawn shops soon to see if I can get my hands on a good 870 and wanted to make sure it would be the best route for hunting. (like I said, shells are pretty pricey for practicing all the time....25 for $12?)

I'm the type that when I take an interest in something, i want to find out all the info I can about it and I'll take as many classes and read as much as possible about the subject. :)

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just one more suggestion....I would avoid the pawn shops for your first purchase...for a novice you are taking too many risk son one of those guns, how it was treated, proper function etc. I suggest you find a reputable gun store so you can pick it up, examine it and have experts familiarize you with all of the functions and features of the gun.:twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've got 4 kids, with my youngest being 10. Grew up hunting and have taken my kids quite a bit.

An 870 in 12 or 20 gauge is a good choice, don't for a second let anyone tell you 20 gauge isn't enough.

If he's 7, get him a little .22 or .410 gauge shotgun, they are just about perfect for that age and will be plenty until he hits 12 or so.

Post up in the Outdoors section, there are plenty of us out here to help.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Get the 870 you won't regret it. I have a Mossberg 500 which I love but, my buddy has an 870 and it's amazing. It's like having the opportunity to by your son a Ferrari vs a Honda for his first car.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A shotgun is an excellent all round hunting gun. With one gun, you can hunt rabbits, squirrels, deer, ducks, geese... anything you can hunt around here, a shot gun will take.

7 isn't necessarily too young, btw, if you think your boy is ready. You do have to be able to pay attention to what's going on around you, AND to him. My boy had issues figuring out where to point the gun. He knew not to point it at anybody, of course, but I'd so thoroughly drilled "muzzle downrange no matter what" into him that he was at first afraid to touch the gun. He couldn't figure out where "downrange" was in the field LOL. We got him a Mossberg Bantom Youth 500 20 guage. It was big for him, but he was able to handle it, and he's grown into it nicely. He loves taking it into the field.

You are getting ready to build priceless memories, experiences that can't be had any other way. There's nothing like being in the woods with your family to create a bond far too people share nowadays. He'll also learn a whole new respect for the outdoors, for the animals he's hunting, and for the work involved. He'll become a true environmentalist, loving the real world, not some fantasy version of it. He'll learn patience, persistence, and start learning to make correct decisions quickly. Tons of fun, for both of you!

Here's a couple pics of my boy's first hunting season, age 8:

Boy hard at work early in the morning:
    100_2548.jpg

His first squirrel:
    100_2564.jpg

Walking out of the field after a before school deer hunt. No deer, but memories that'll we'll both have forever:
    100_2586_1.jpg

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    I agree on the 870 combo but would recommend a 20 ga over the 12 for a young shooter....he may not like the punishment of the 12 ga and the 20 will do it all as well.......a good .22 is hard to beat especially if the two of you spend a weekend at an Appleseed which I also highly recommend....enjoy with the boy :>)

Last edited:

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Welcome to INGO. Hunting with family can be a lot of fun.

I have to ask, do you have any experience with shooting firearms? If you do I apologize. If you don't I recommend some firearms training, safety, and some shooting time at a range, before going out to hunt.

There all kinds of shotguns suitable and effective for hunting. Single shot, double barrel, bolt, pump, and automatic actions in all price ranges.

The shotgun guage depends on what you want to handle and need to be successful for hunting. 12, 16, and 20 guages are pretty forgiving for new shotgunners.

Welcome to the world of shooting and hunting. Always be safe, and good luck in your quest.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    My suggestion is a .22 rifle, and first hunt rabbits and squirrels.

Take a class, with your son - I don't think 7 is too young, I killed my first rabbit at about that age.

Hunting rabbits and squirrels is exactly the same as hunting larger animals, just a difference in scale and numbers of opportunities. You must learn the fundamentals of hunting: watching, being quiet, moving slowly, paying attention to sounds, learning more about the animals you hunt than all the "nature lovers" out there, safety, responsibility, marksmanship. There's a tear forming in my eye. I hope for the blessing that my daughter is interested when she's old enough.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i killed my first deer 3 days after my 8th b-day. i would defintally not get a 12 ga. contrary to popular beliefe a 20 will kill a deer just fine. also its better on rabbit and squirl if you want to eat them after the kill. a 12 ga is likley to kick hard enough to make a kid learn bad habits like closing his eyes or flinching. if i had a kid to teach to deer hunt id get a 357 lever. but if it would be a deer rabbit squirl gun id get a 20 ga 870 express magnum. then he can go with the 3 inch shells in a few years

you cant go wrong with the 870. also you mentioned a home defence and a 20 ga would do fine there as well.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well, I'm getting to the point where I want to start enjoying the outdoors more and my son is getting older (he'll be 7 this year) where he wants to do things with dad....so I thought why not start hunting?

Now don't get me wrong, it will be a few years before he starts doing any hunting, but I want to get a headstart (I've never once been hunting...EVER)

I've been doing some research online and I THINK the route to go would possibly be a shotgun (it could double as home defense too) and was looking at the Remington 870. Would any of you recommend this? I noticed that shotgun shells are pretty pricey and I would be killing off a lot of money practicing. :(

Should I go with a shotgun or just use a rifle?

I am COMPLETELY open to suggestions guys because I am a complete NOOB when it comes to this stuff....I'm a computer nerd, not a hunter! :dunno: lol

Thanks for any info you can help me with INGO. :)

A Crossman pump pellet gun you can shoot with from 2 - 10 pumps for you son and for you and him to grow in to...

Remington 870, 12 gauge with an old style smooth bore slug barrel and another bird barrel with screw in chokes would be about perfect. Next purchase a Lee Load All shell reloader. Probably find this exact gun with one or the other barrels in the classifieds here and the other barrel to go with it in another ad.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Sounding good so far guys...keep the suggestions coming!

Yeah, I live in New Castle, IN and will mainly be hunting deer, rabbit, squirrel...that type of stuff.

I'm mainly asking just because with tax check on its way, I will most likely be hitting the pawn shops soon to see if I can get my hands on a good 870 and wanted to make sure it would be the best route for hunting. (like I said, shells are pretty pricey for practicing all the time....25 for $12?)

I'm the type that when I take an interest in something, i want to find out all the info I can about it and I'll take as many classes and read as much as possible about the subject. :)

Get those target loads on sale at walmart about $25 for 100. Use those for practice on clay targets or hunting birds.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    welcome to INGO!
    gotta say, i can't argue with anything i've seen here about the 870. i've got two and their versatility is great. real simple to break down as well. get one and i guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom