• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    after alot of thought,and my desire to shoot alot.i have decided it would be best to start reloading.at first i will only be reloading 308,223,and 357.so is there any advice you guru's have for me?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    get a book, mabye if you have time attend one of the free classes. ive never been to a class but i can imagine how much help they would have been when i was starting. if at all possible if there is a local reloader sit with him some.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    get a book, mabye if you have time attend one of the free classes. ive never been to a class but i can imagine how much help they would have been when i was starting. if at all possible if there is a local reloader sit with him some.

:+1: There's plenty of members on here that would be willing to help you. There's also a couple that give classes, Aszerigan has gotten good reviews. If you decide to learn on your own start with the .357. Good straight walled pistol case, probably one of the easiest rounds to load. Then work your way into the rifle rounds. Also start out by reading the sticky on reloading here, lots of good info for the beginner.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reload_but_you_don_t_know_where_to_begin.html

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I would start with .357 first. Rifle ammo has a couple of extra steps. Nothing you can't handle, but I'd start with the easiest process first then add.

DO NOT try to make ammo at the extremes of very weak or very hot loads. For some reason, lots of people seem to want to get into reloading so they can make ammo that's "10 times more powerful than factory!" Do not go there. What you want is ammo that shoots good, not the most powerful load you can make. The ammo that functions and shoots best in my handguns is usually just about midway between max and min loading - that is what I go for as a start load. Rifle ammo may shoot better up nearer to max, but still I start out about midway between min and max and work up until it shoots the way I want.

Remember loads that are too weak (less than minimum) can be just as dangerous as loads that are too hot - the most dangerous condition I ever created reloading was a .38 spl load I meant to be a light target load. It was too light and one got stuck in the barrel. Luckily it was realized before trying to shoot another one down after it, b/c you can blow up the gun that way.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

^^^ What he said above...

That and determine before hand how much you will be shooting and how much time you would like to spend loading that amount.... If you enjoy working with tools and equipment, your decision in what you buy might be different than if you would prefer spending more of that time on the range...

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    :+1: There's plenty of members on here that would be willing to help you. There's also a couple that give classes, Aszerigan has gotten good reviews. If you decide to learn on your own start with the .357. Good straight walled pistol case, probably one of the easiest rounds to load. Then work your way into the rifle rounds. Also start out by reading the sticky on reloading here, lots of good info for the beginner.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reload_but_you_don_t_know_where_to_begin.html
    ^^^+1 Set up a class position with Andrew (Aszerigan)
    As for re-loading tools-I have NEVER been unhappy with myself for buying too GOOD of a quality of tools? You may think about that on your purchases?? :dunno:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I also recomend a class from our resident "Reloading Guru" Aszerigan. He offers his skills in a way that is understandable to the layman. Your most important piece of equipment will be what you know.

lf19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Buy good tools. Talk with the people at the gun club and gun store. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Until you have enough experience do not deviate from the reloading manual, if ever. Follow the reloading manuals letter by letter. Ask a ton of questions. The support you will find here is fantastic.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    This forum is a great place to look for advice. When in doubt, ask. Its not just yourself that you may save, it might be the guy next to you on the firing line too.

mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Sure........Go with LEE....

Had a LEE Progressive 1000and sold it. Kick myslef in the butt afterwards...lol

Top Bottom