• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Both Glock generations are nice, the Gen4 gives you the interchangeable backstraps so you can adjust the grip to fit you best compared to the 'one-size fits all' approach most firearms have (Some Glock models have a short-frame model in Gen3) and they have dual recoil springs that you only had in the sub-compact Gen3s. However, like was mentioned above, the Gen4 Glock finish is much rougher for an improved grip and possible expense in everyday comfort.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Something else to watch for is some of the older Gen4 models did have some issues with the spring and extractor, if you find one that has been on a shelf for a while though Glock will take care of you pretty quick.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    see, that's what is funny to me. I'm a glock guy, but never meet people as you describe above. Only people like you... who apparently know people like that and talk about them all the time and how terrible they are for loving their glocks.

I hope to meet one of these glock straw men some day :D

+10000000000000000000000000000000000

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    see, that's what is funny to me. I'm a glock guy, but never meet people as you describe above. Only people like you... who apparently know people like that and talk about them all the time and how terrible they are for loving their glocks.

I hope to meet one of these glock straw men some day :D

I have bumped into people that speak like that about Glock and claim its the best thing since sliced bread and all. I've read on other forums such people that speak that way as well. But, its definately not as often as I make it out to be and I should probably tone it down. I do apologize. I am chugging the S&W M&P kool-aid after all. I try not to hate on anyone for their firearm choices, if it works for them and can save someone's life(which could be mine at some point) then thats what they should use. I did try a Glock and wasn't for me and I won't dislike someone for loving one. Everyone should love their Glock/M&P/XD or whatever they use.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I am now a Glock-Smith/Wesson American.

I can now freely talk greatly and poorly of both platforms, with no regard of fear or retribution as I am a protected minority of fixed handguns.

:D

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well said. I carried a G26 for awhile, but have now migrated to a couple Taurus. I like the grip and the angle of the grip better, and I find the Taurii more accurate than my G26.

Glocks are good weapons. Carry what fits and feels right.

If the glock was shooting that poorly, it should have went back to the factory.

I have a 20c, 37, and RTF2 23. All have been far more accurate than I can measure up to.

Also have kimbers, sigs, FNs, Rugers, Brownings, and S&Ws. The glocks are the easiest to pick up on an off day and look good with, regardless what has been done to the trigger.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Very true. And I find the trigger perfect for the gun's intent. It is a fighting gun designed to be quickly deployed in a defensive manner without having to worry about external safeties. Changing the trigger pull to a lighter pull in my eyes could set you up for a much easier accidental discharge.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Very true. And I find the trigger perfect for the gun's intent. It is a fighting gun designed to be quickly deployed in a defensive manner without having to worry about external safeties. Changing the trigger pull to a lighter pull in my eyes could set you up for a much easier accidental discharge.

Why? If you don't pull the trigger it won't go bang, regardless if it's a 5.5 lb trigger or a 3.5 lb trigger...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    The reason is if the trigger is accidentally pressed. Quite a few accidental / negligent discharges have taken place while just holstering a gun if the proper care is not taken. I have not had this issue, but again I have not had to reholster after using a pistol in a defensive matter either. If you are accurate with the stock trigger what benefit does a lighter trigger give you? -- These are defensive pistols, not bullseye target shooters.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't think the difference between a 5.5 and 3.5lb trigger will be the difference if you snag the trigger when reholstering. Reholstering is not a race.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The reason is if the trigger is accidentally pressed. Quite a few accidental / negligent discharges have taken place while just holstering a gun if the proper care is not taken. I have not had this issue, but again I have not had to reholster after using a pistol in a defensive matter either. If you are accurate with the stock trigger what benefit does a lighter trigger give you? -- These are defensive pistols, not bullseye target shooters.

Nothing wrong with staying with the stock trigger. Mine is stock. I just don't buy into this theory that because it's a carry gun it needs to have a heavy trigger to be safe.

jaschutz79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Just buy the damn gun...it's not like its a custom STI 2011. Hell, the glock will cost less than you mags for the STI. (I'm the guy who's Glocks he shot btw)

Honestly, I've had a 23,21,30 and a 19. All excellent pistols. Like anything...you become proficient with it is all that matters.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I don't think the difference between a 5.5 and 3.5lb trigger will be the difference if you snag the trigger when reholstering. Reholstering is not a race.

Exactly. Take your time reholstering. Going from a 1911 to a glock, I too was skeptical of the Glock's "safe-action" but it really isn't much different from a revolver. You pull the trigger and the gun fires. I now love the simplicity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    The simplicity is part of why I love the Glocks as well. They are not the perfect gun for everything, but for my needs I like them.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Thanks everyone for the insight. As soon as I can get out of work at a normal time Im going to pick one up. I currently have a G35 on hold and will pick up either the 17 or the 19 to go along with it. Ill report back with what I end up with.

Top Bottom