• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Ive never been someone to badmouth Glock. I started out carrying an XD about 6 years ago, moved to my current M&P 40 about 3 years ago. Ive had the opportunity to shoot a Gen 4 19, and a Gen 3 34 lately and have found certain things about them that I like. I cant say I have found things I dislike, but only things that I would have to acclimate myself to through training.

The grip angle of both generation guns is different, but feels comfortable. I seem to be able to get a little higher grip on the Glocks, making recoil a little more manageable.

Im going to go pick up a 17 or 19 (possibly both) sometime next week and start getting familiar with it. I feel like Im cheating on my M&P, but want to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.

Has anyone one else made the transition and been pleased with the decision? I feel like Im about to cheat on my M&P, and dont know how to take it :): Ive put 10K+ rounds through it in the last year alone and am very proficient with it, but with just a few hundred rounds through the Glcok models Ive tried, I dont think it will be that big of a learning curve for me. IS there that big of a different between the Gen 3 and 4 that would make we want to purchase one over the other?

*There is no point to this post other than to kill a few minutes before bed. Carry on.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Nothing that special about them IMO. I think the best reference I've heard was: "if you treat your guns like your lawn mower, then buy a Glock...if you actually take care of them, then it rarely matters what you buy."

I own a couple, my wife carries one every day. They are good guns but nothing any more or less reliable than any other reputable manufacturer. Couple things I don't like about them and a couple things I do.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Good luck! I've badmouthed Glock, but it wasn't because of the actual firearm, it was more the people and their kool-aid! You know, the ones that won't admit that there are other polymer pistols in the world. Or claim that Glock is supperior to everything because the name on the slide is Glock. Glocks are great firearms, and if it works for you, so be it. I've shot them, and just thought "eh, its ok, just not for me".

Just don't forget your M&P, she's still gonna need some luvin :D

Edit: I drink the S&W M&P kool-aid. But, I still admit to a fine weapon when I see one.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Nothing that special about them IMO. I think the best reference I've heard was: "if you treat your guns like your lawn mower, then buy a Glock...if you actually take care of them, then it rarely matters what you buy."

I own a couple, my wife carries one every day. They are good guns but nothing any more or less reliable than any other reputable manufacturer. Couple things I don't like about them and a couple things I do.

Well said. I carried a G26 for awhile, but have now migrated to a couple Taurus. I like the grip and the angle of the grip better, and I find the Taurii more accurate than my G26.

Glocks are good weapons. Carry what fits and feels right.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Glocks are my favorite, but they arent for everyone. Good luck with your adventure! I doubt you will be displeased.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I hated glocks until I actually owned and shot one. My g19 is my workday carry to work. The 1911 has moved to my off days.

Something about this g3 and I just couldn't put it down.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    I carried a glock 19 for over a year then bought a 1911. Never looked back. :D

but really imo theres nothing different. if you like the feel of the glock then get one, if not then you wont be any happier with the glock over the m&p:twocents:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i have been a berretta 92 platform guy since i was able to carry, but i recently bought a glock g19. i do like the glock for ability to CC. having said that ther are some things about the glocks that i def dnt like. the main thing is not haveing a external manual safety. that is the only real setback i have found that i personally dont like. but i dnt despise glocks like i used to so i am right wer u r. good luck on ur decision

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I tried the Glock 26 for about 6 months. I cannot say it wasnt accurate and very reliable, but it just wasnt for me. It was replaced with a hi-power, and all is well and balanced in my safe now.
    I did like the light weight, but I just didnt care for the grip. I prefer steel or alloy frames, but I will admit that I have looked pretty hard at the M&P.
    The only suggestion I would make is to not trade your current carry pistol for the Glock, but instead buy it outright and do a side by side evaluation. Give yourself time for the newness to wear off before making the final decision of what one you prefer.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Whether you love them or hate them they simply cannot be denied...Glock is the standard and I would easily recommend that people start their search there. I love and respect Glock and have owned 7 of their guns.

I'm actually more of an M&P guy now but only because their 9mm pistols fit me better.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nothing wrong with trying out different handguns!!!

I've owned MANY different polymer-framed handguns - Glock, M&P, Steyr, & Sig.

Buy / own / trade / carry what you want!

-J-

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I switched from M&P 9mm to the G19/G17 a couple of months ago although I did not have 10k through an M&P. The M&P is more comfortable to hold in my hands, but I shoot the Glock a lot more accurately. I would recommend a Gen 4 if you are buying new because the backstrap options are nice to have, the slide release can be moved to the right side if you want, and the newer Gen 4s have an updated ejector that works better in some guns than what comes in the Gen 3. If you get a Gen 4 with the old ejector and you have issues Glock will send you the new style. They have not been doing that with the Gen 3. The texture on the Gen 4 is also better for me than Gen 3.

If you can find an older Gen 3 (say prior to 2009) they also seem to have less issues than the latest Gen 3s.

Cost wise a Gen 4 is about $30 more than a Gen 3 but you get an extra magazine so it evens out pretty well.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good luck! I've badmouthed Glock, but it wasn't because of the actual firearm, it was more the people and their kool-aid! You know, the ones that won't admit that there are other polymer pistols in the world. Or claim that Glock is supperior to everything because the name on the slide is Glock.

see, that's what is funny to me. I'm a glock guy, but never meet people as you describe above. Only people like you... who apparently know people like that and talk about them all the time and how terrible they are for loving their glocks.

I hope to meet one of these glock straw men some day :D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I personally prefer the Gen 3's over the 4's.

I have an earlier model 30 with no rail, just recently traded off a Gen 2, model 21, and have a Gen 3 model 27 and just picked up a Gen 3, model 23 to go with it. That said, probably the biggest thing that kept me from going with an M&P instead of the 23 recently was my investment in the Glock platform, ability to exchange mags, and have the guns perform as a system (use same holsters, 100% familiarity with operation, trigger, ability to practice cheaply with my AA kit, etc)

Had I already had an investment in the M&P platform, I may have well chosen to just pick up a different size M&P for the same reasons.

If you are going to carry it, and are considering a Gen 4, just make sure you can handle the RTF in your carry mode.

Personally of the 17 or the 19 you listed, I would probably opt for the 19 due to size, etc for carry. You can always carry spare 17 mags for it, etc if you choose. If you were to look into a second Glock, I'd give a hard look at the 26.

The combination of the 26 and 19 is hard to beat. You can share mags, holsters, etc.

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I own both M&P9 full size and Gen 3 G22.... Both are every day carry setup and do it well.

However, very much like what you'll discover and have discovered, certain firearms will feel better than others.
    I love both and shoot well with both; learning curve was minimal going from EDC M&P to the G22, yet I still shoot a little better with the M&P.

I do love the Glock, though. Just love the M&P a little more. ;)

Jdirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've had all 3 at the same time & settled on Glock. They are all so similar for me it came down to parts cost & availability. It was nice to have them side by side to shoot & compair so I would know once and for all. As for the gen 3 vs 4, I have gen 3 parts & guns so I like to stay with gen 3, but if I didn't have anything right now I personally would go with the 4.

Top Bottom