• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    My wife and I care for her parents and they live next door to our house. Dealing with their cognitive decline has been very stressing the last week!

Any ideas to make us laugh?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I did some caregiving for a family member in a similar situation/proximity.
    Find other caregivers and share horror stories over drinks. Seriously.
    You can also get through the moment by amusing yourself with the idea of what if you acted upon some of their less lucid statements or what if what they said was true? I dunno, helped me a bit.

I also know why you can't do the flaming poop thing even though they live next door. Because if you aren't the one stomping it out, you'll be calling the FD.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    My mother lives with us. She is overall in good health but acts like a baby most of the time and is a slob. She drives my wife crazy so I get to hear all about that pretty regularly. It is always fun times in the house. Take tonight for example - I came home to a power problem in the house. Only half of the circuits had power. My mother turned everything off in the living room and when my wife asked why she said that she didn't think she was allowed to turn anything on since there was a problem. My wife was beside herself with the answer to her question as to why everything was off in the living room.

As a side note it turns out one of the wires in the ground coming to house is bad leaving us with only one phase. Nipsco came out tonight and jumped across the one working phase. Then the electrician told me to use up some power since he had to pull the meter to jump the power lines to the house. It is too bad I cannot come up with anything to use my free power on...nor do I feel right doing something like that.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I tell my wife and kids that this is what they have to look forward to in a few years. The wife is always telling me she is turning into her mother, and I respond with you already see what I am going to become since my mother lives with us.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I can't wait till I do this to my son. It's payback for the time he crapped in my hand at 6 weeks old, don't ask....

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I don't know which is worse....caring for aging parents, or in my case, being an orphan when I was 35. My wife and I both lost our parents years ago....and we are only in our mid 40's. Guilty as I feel saying this.......at least I don't have to worry about them getting old and frail, but I gladly would if I could have them back.

Love em while you got em. It may be frustrating at times.....but be happy you can help them out. Ironic how we start life helpless and if we live long enough, we can become helpless again.

Wishing you luck.

Top Bottom