GM - no deals and great comments at the gun counter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Pistol I purchased last week for $x was $107 more at Gander Mountain.

The gun guy told a man I was standing near, a Ruger LCP is the only gun you need and gunfights by CHL holders are never more than 5 rounds. That was all it took and the man purchased it.

I just smiled walked around and looked at discounted stuff and didn't spend a dime.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Last year I bought a FNP40 from a local shop. Gander wanted $150 more for the same gun. When I saw their price, I about pissed myself. The last time I was in there, it was the same price, and I assume it's still there. I have bought one rifle from there back in 2007, I believe. As for ammo, I only bought .22MWR because they had a wide selection. Their Federal 100 round packs of .223 are not bad at $29.99 on sale. I did buy a knife after Christmas, but I had gift cards. I could not find anything else worth buying at the time. I think they pray on people who really do not know any better. Joe Bob that walks in and says I'm looking for X gun, and who does not shop around. Or are 100% clueless, and get told a particular gun is what they need. Same goes for their handgun ammo. People just walk up and grab it off of the shelf. If I can, I'll tell them where it can be had for cheaper. I can not see people getting ripped off.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Yeah gander is probably the most expensive store around. However, they do have a price match policy and if you buy night sights from them they install for free... You just have to do homework and bring in proof of a lower price.... not that they would honor it, jus sayin.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gander sells, just ad don sells. Personally if people are too lazy or uninformed to shop around I would rather gander get the sale.

I haven't purchased from them, but every so often someone here gets a good deal in the used section so it isn't hurting us.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Got my SR9c there for $399. It was just after Thanksgiving during all the SALES.

But yeah, their normal prices are nutty. They want $60 for an M&P mag that I bought online for $25 and most places sell for $35 to $39.

I'll go in to see what ammo they have on sale from time to time.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    yeah there high but like other people said shop somewhere else, it doesnt hurt to buy something off there ads i think i picked up some federal 40 cal 50 packs for 11.48. best price around ive found but yes it was on sale

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    A while back I was interested in a Stoeger Cougar 9mm, GM had them for around $50 more than a local dealer could get them...

Last time I was in saw a used handgun (for the life of me can't remember what model) with holster wear, for the excact same price they had a new one for three cases down and around the corner, and it was overpriced... (Might have been a CZ model... not sure at this point)

The only decent deal I've ever seen at the Greenwood Gander Mtn was a used Sig P6, right on par with average used prices, and gone when I stopped by 2 days later... Think they were asking right around $330 or maybe a touch more for it.

I try not to talk to the guys behind the counter, I'm afraid if I hear something stupid I won't be able to restrain myself from either smarting off, or outright laughing at them...

I did buy some ammo a while back on sale, I think it was Fiocchi 9mm for 9.99 a box? Might be wrong about the brand, but it was 9.99

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    i made the mistake of taken a gun in for trade at gander the told me the gun was only worth about 500 dollars less than everybody else had they also had a used one in worst shape than mine on there shelf for 900 dollars more be very careful dealing with retailers it's getting scary out there

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times:

Gander Mountain is a great place to LOOK at guns, but a terrible place to BUY them. Besides having stupid high prices, they have stupid ignorant sales people.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've found some fantastic deals at Gander Mountain. Both Greenwood and Castleton.

Gotta be patient and be at the right place at the right time to get them, though.

Like I try to say in every GM thread... You CAN find deals; but it's certainly not the norm.

And up until about 12 months ago, the guys at the gun counter at the Greenwood store really did know their stuff. Not many of those fellers work there any more, though.

-J-

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove

Gander Mountain is a great place to LOOK at guns, but a terrible place to BUY them. Besides having stupid high prices, they have stupid ignorant sales people.

I'm glad they have those sales people marking the prices on used guns because I picked up a 30-378 Weatherby Mark V for $399 a couple years ago. Sold it for enough to pay for the eyebrow stitches and still made a sizeable profit. That being said I don't even look at the new guns.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Saw some Police trade G22's on sale for $470.00, strike one. Had a couple of beat up(Really rough) Beretta 92's $499.00, strike 2. Had a S&W M29 in the presentation case for $900.00, strike 3. After looking at the ammo prices, get out of my way, I'm running out of there as fast as I can. Can't justify the gas spent to browse there anymore.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

I don't think they're stupid or ignorant-------just incredibly snotty!! It would also be nice to talk to a gunsmith that didn't think they deserved the respect of a Doctor. When I ask a question, I hate to feel like I'm an idiot, when all I'm simply asking is a question. It's like when they answer a VERY simple question, they want to finish it by saying, GEEZ YOUR STUPID!!

I also get miffed at Gander when all the sales people are busy, and the Smith is standing there with his finger up his whooo hole, and he seems put out that he has to answer your question, or for pitys sake look something up.

Ok, I'm finished ranting. Thanks!

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Gander Mtn. has a huge selection on all kinds of things. If you're looking for something specific, and you want it today, then it's a great store. But you do pay a small premium for the convenience.

I, personally, don't have enough money to justify spending an extra $200 to get what I want 3 days quicker... But if it's a small item and I'm paying an extra $2, then I'd rather just get it. JMO.

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    [quote=DarkRose;1604908
    Last time I was in saw a used handgun (for the life of me can't remember what model) with holster wear, for the excact same price they had a new one for three cases down and around the corner, and it was overpriced... (Might have been a CZ model... not sure at this point)

If it's the same overpriced used handgun I saw in there a couple of months ago it was a CZ75 SPO1. Can't remember if it was a Phantom or not. They wanted more for it than the MSRP is on a brand new one according to CZ's website. I had them pull it from the case because I'm interested in buying one. Definitely not that one though.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If it's the same overpriced used handgun I saw in there a couple of months ago it was a CZ75 SPO1. Can't remember if it was a Phantom or not. They wanted more for it than the MSRP is on a brand new one according to CZ's website. I had them pull it from the case because I'm interested in buying one. Definitely not that one though.

It is the Phantom. They dropped the price down to $585 now (which is MSRP), so it's far more reasonable now... but it's still not a steal.

I've been shopping SP01s, too, and this online retailer is the best price I've found on them. I've never ordered from these guys, so you're on your own there, but I do like to pass along info when I find a bargain.

EDIT: Nope, BudsGunShop dropped their price lower. CZ SP01 PHANTOM 9mm 18RD REDUCED!!! $451.00 SHIPS FREE

Last edited:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I've bought a few used guns at GM and felt that I got a fair deal, but everything I've seen in the new gun case was WAY over-priced. I stopped in GM this last Saturday to check the used gun case and saw that they had Winchester .40 target ammo for $39.99 per box of 100, regularly $49.99, I didn't think the price was terrible until my wife drug me into Walmart and I checked their ammo prices, same ammo as GM was $29.99 everyday.

Top Bottom