• kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Help!! Asking on behalf of my BIL a new Glock 19 owner.What is the break-in period before these become reliable? His new G is jamming badly, with various FMJ ammo brands and with 5 different Glock factory mags. FTFs, FTEs you name it. He is an LEO whose duty gun is a Glock 17 and which he says will only jam seldomly, so I think operator error is out. Maybe 300 rds so far have been fired.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    My new glock 23 has had about 300 rounds through it without any jams. All of this was cheap ammo. I'm no veteran but I've never heard of this happening, I wish I could give you some more helpful info but all I can say is send it back.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    did he sweet talk it? you have to whisper softly to a glock, and tell it your its friend and mean it no harm. then it will fly you away from danger on your bike across a moon lit sky.

Be careful, because if he didnt sweet talk it then it will probly blow up.

hickman is the glock whisperer, so i'd probly just do what he said :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Help!! Asking on behalf of my BIL a new Glock 19 owner.What is the break-in period before these become reliable? His new G is jamming badly, with various FMJ ammo brands and with 5 different Glock factory mags. FTFs, FTEs you name it. He is an LEO whose duty gun is a Glock 17 and which he says will only jam seldomly, so I think operator error is out. Maybe 300 rds so far have been fired.

There should be no "break-in period" for a Glock. They should work right from the box (as should any other gun in my opinion). If it doesn't work, there is something wrong with it.

As Hickman mentioned, if it's one of the new Glocks with the "improved" recoil spring assembly, it's probably too heavy for 9mm.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Glock..

Gen4 G19?

If so, call Glock and ask for the new recoil spring.

They used the same one from the 22 and it's too heavy.

Correction. The Gen4 G17 has the Gen4 22 spring in it...

If the failures from the 17, even though seldom are the same as the 19, shooter error is definitely a possibility. I'd have 2-3 people shoot it and see if they have the same problems. If it still has problems take it to an armorer and have them check it out..

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    40 cal recoil spring in a 9mm pistol? Really? This is bringing back some memories. A few years back I bought a Sig 229 9mm and had a ton of trouble w/it early on. After several hundred rds it finally stopped jamming and I kept it a year or two and sold it. Later a chap who owned several Sigs told me this could have been the same issue then and that I should have changed out the recoil spring. Thanks for the info so far, I will pass this on.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Could be he shooting with a limp wrist?

I suppose anything is possible. I thought this could be the case at first because the gun wasn't jamming when I fired it, but as it turned out I just got in a lucky mag. Really doubt it tho' because he is pretty stout and uses a textbook hold with elbows up and strong arm inline w/ gun. He had no trouble( jams when firing) with a Smith 915 or a 100 year old Luger.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Glocks require no break-in so if it's having issues then there is something wrong. But you say that he has a 17 that jams only seldomly. I have to say that the 17 and 19 are two of the most reliable pistols that Glock makes. I'm wondering if perhaps it's something he's doing? He needs to have someone else fire it and see if they have problems too. If they do then something is wrong with the gun and he should either have an armorer look at it or send it in to Glock.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    did he sweet talk it? you have to whisper softly to a glock, and tell it your its friend and mean it no harm. then it will fly you away from danger on your bike across a moon lit sky.

Be careful, because if he didnt sweet talk it then it will probly blow up.

hickman is the glock whisperer, so i'd probly just do what he said :)

If he's using a Mac, he needs to rebuild the desktop. If he's using a PC, "well that thar's your problem!"

I'd have other people shoot it, but it sounds like it may (surprisingly) be the Glock in this case... happens to EVERY manufacturer at some point.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Thanks much everyone for the time to provide these well thought out replies. I'll pass all this along and see what he does.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I suppose anything is possible. I thought this could be the case at first because the gun wasn't jamming when I fired it, but as it turned out I just got in a lucky mag. Really doubt it tho' because he is pretty stout and uses a textbook hold with elbows up and strong arm inline w/ gun. He had no trouble( jams when firing) with a Smith 915 or a 100 year old Luger.

That's the gun he should be carrying....

byford80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    i have had my g19 for abt 6 months and 1000rds no issues. i have only heard rumors of this actually happening

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    This is not a big supprise. The State Police had huge failuer rate with their Glocks. When they tested XD's againsed Glocks the XD won every time. Saddly Glock cut deal with the _(&W#(@)HDI)&& bureaucrats so the troops are still carrying Glocks.

Top Bottom