• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    I had a gunsmith do the ghost rocket trigger kit, along with some other mods, to my Glock 17. This brought it down to a really crisp and light trigger pull...I suppose 3.5# per how the kit was advertised. However, I've noticed on the past couple trips to the range that it's gotten increasingly heavier out of nowhere. Any idea on what may be causing this?

Edit: Let me quickly note that cleaning it did not make it better.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Did you do a complete cleaning or a general field-strip? Sometimes pieces of brass gets all up in the striker(firing pin). That will make it feel sluggish and feel like the trigger pull has increased. Also the drop safety can get shavings of brass in it making it feel 'tight' also.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Did you do a complete cleaning or a general field-strip?

I believe just a general field strip. I'm not really sure of the difference. I took it completely apart to clean, verses just running a boresnake through it.

Thank you for the suggestions on what may be going wrong! I will try and take it apart again to see if I can spot what you are thinking. If I can't spot anything I guess I'll make the drive to the gunsmith.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Oil at the connector.

When you reassemble make sure you place a small drop of oil where the trigger bar contacts the connector as shown in the owners manual. This is the single most important drop of oil in the process. Tool is pointing to the correct spot for the drop of oil. :)

DSC07117_zps1b9b6852.jpg

Last edited:

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Tool is pointing to the correct spot for the drop of oil. :)

Thank you very much for including the picture! I will try to oil that spot tomorrow morning to see if it helps. Fingers crossed it's "cheap" fixes like this and nothing is broken. I maybe should have added that in addition to the ghost rocket trigger they also installed a titanium safety plunger.

Stinks that it felt so great and has now become horrible. With your helpful suggestions I'll get it resolved :) I appreciate you all!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    After oiling try dry firing it a dozen times or so. You will be able to feel almost immediately whether this has fixed the problem or not. If it does not improve I would suspect the new titanium firing pin safety plunger or debris in it's socket as posted by KokomoDave.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I can tell you if I were the the person that did the job I would want to know immediately so I could 1. fix the problem and 2. learn from what I found.
    I wish you were closer, I would like to take it apart myself and see what IS going on :). My first stop would be to put the Glock FPS back in the pistol and see if that solved the problem.
    If I can be of service PM me.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    This sounds very familiar to me, last year some time I did that "25¢" trigger polish thing on my g23 and the next range trip the trigger pull slowly increased to the point that my trigger finger was "white knuckling it". My best guess was that I over polished the connector, everything else looked fine. I kept trying to polish it but every time I thought it was fixed eventually it went back to ridiculously heavy pull when dry firing. So I swapped the connector with the one from a g19 trigger mechanism housing I had and haven't had a problem since. Just took a couple pics of them side by side, it looks like there's a burr or something on the polished one but nothing obvious to me. :dunno:

EDIT: at the time I was under the impression that no oil was to be used on the frame with the exception of the slide rails (proper term?) So I'm guessing a drop of oil there would probably have fixed it.

The one on the right is the polished one and the last one is also the polished one:
    184468_521721061184618_1015999778_n.jpg

13674_521720881184636_1054225722_n.jpg

538383_521720781184646_1374767749_n.jpg

Last edited:

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Thank you again to everyone for your feedback! Ironically I headed back to Atlanta a few days early or I would've been in the Indy area to take up the offer to have it looked at there. I took it apart and oiled the spot that was mentioned. When I pull back on the trigger I get to about half-way and that's where it still starts to get abnormally heavier than normal.

I will update this thread after I have the gunsmith take a look at it. While I am making an effort to learn more about the inner-workings of my guns, I'm still a beginner. Maybe what he finds will help others in the same boat.

As always, I appreciate the helpful suggestions!

Top Bottom