• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    When I went to get me a new gun a couple weekends ago I was in the market for a 9 or a 40. The salesman asked if I had shot the 45.I told him that I do but it kills my wrist for a couple of days. So he tells me the 40 will recoil even harder. Do you guys agree? If so what 40 would u recommend. I dont mind shooting the G30 but its just not fun to target shoot with. I loveee the G19 that I ended up,but still have a 40 on my wishlist

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Recoil is pretty subjective. I personally do not care for .45 but I love .40. Some people find the .40 "snappy". My wife being one of those people. My opinion is that if you train with a gun and learn proper technique, the recoil thing will sort itself out. OK to love your 9, but if you want a .40 then by all means buy one.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I find my G-23 has a little sharper snap than my G-30 did. I equate it to the difference in performance of the rounds ballisticly since recoil is essentially the "equal and opposite reaction" to the bullet heading down range. The .40 recoil is sharp and fast, but not as heavy feeling in your palms and wrists. The .45 feels more like a solid heavy thud to the palms and wrists, but with less muzzle rise and easier follow up shots. I've had both and if It weren't for the sheer "chunkiness" of the 30 (even SF) I likely would have stayed with it. The 23 just fits my hand better.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I liked .40 in a Sig229, but not in a G27. I thoroughly enjoy shooting G30SF, but like the 1911's, the shooting is curtailed by the cost of ammo. My GF likes 9 in a G26, but not a SigP6. She loves .40 in the 229, and .45 in 1911's. I've yet to meet anyone who enjoys putting more than a couple mags through a PF9 in one range session, but I'm sure there is someone out there who really enjoys it.

All this illustrates the point that Vert already made, that recoil is very subjective, from shooter to shooter, and in different guns.

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    The little Glock 27 is my favorite .40 cal and my favorite Glock. The recoil is "snappier" than the 9mm. What kind of .45 were you shooting?

Glock 30..Im not scared of the recoil its just not fun. So trying to get used to it probabaly wont happen. I know that I can shoot if I had to so thats good enough right now.I love to target shoot though and the 40 ammo is easy to find.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    40 is snappy to me.
    9mm is like shooting a bb gun from my ruger
    9mm from my dads keltec is like shooting a 40.
    380 lcP for me is like shooting a mini cannon.
    45 is like tossing skipping pebbles to me, but both 45's i own are full size.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you're wanting it more for target shooting, maybe find someone with a G22 and try it and see what you think of the recoil. Since you already have the G19, go a little longer (barrel and site radius). Nice thing about the G22, if its too snappy or if you would like to shoot a little cheaper ammo, for about $100.00 you can buy a 9mm CONVERSION barrel.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I like the 40 cal but prefer it in a full size pistol .I feel in my case a full size pistol makes it easier to control recoil & stay on target. I tried a few smaller compact type pistols & decided that they werent for me ,the smallest pistol I own is a sig 229 in.... you guessed it ,40 cal. if you have smaller hands you can get by with a compact but that depends on your preference.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't like shooting .40s. To me, it combines the worst recoil aspects of the 9mm and the .45. The snappiness of the 9, with the heavier push of the .45. I much prefer 9s or .45s.

My wife got her first chance to shoot a .40 today, and came away with pretty much the same impression. She liked the gun, an XDm, but didn't care as much for the .40. It's good she got a chance to shoot one, because she's been considering them. No since in buying a caliber you have to learn to like, when there are other perfectly good ones out there. If you like shooting the 9, and don't like the .40, there's no real advantage to be had in buying one, IMHO.

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    I don't like shooting .40s. To me, it combines the worst recoil aspects of the 9mm and the .45. The snappiness of the 9, with the heavier push of the .45. I much prefer 9s or .45s.

My wife got her first chance to shoot a .40 today, and came away with pretty much the same impression. She liked the gun, an XDm, but didn't care as much for the .40. It's good she got a chance to shoot one, because she's been considering them. No since in buying a caliber you have to learn to like, when there are other perfectly good ones out there. If you like shooting the 9, and don't like the .40, there's no real advantage to be had in buying one, IMHO.

Thanks Joe..That helps. Ill take it off my wishlist. On to something else to add to it.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    S&W M&P .40 has the lowest recoil of any .40 I have ever shot!! and very accurate, and one of the best trigger out of the box I have ever felt, Highly recommend them.

LotsofGlocks

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If the .40 is on your wishlist you may wanna try the new Gen4 Glock. Has a dual recoil spring. Alot of people are saying its like shooting a 9mm. Good luck in your decision.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    If the .40 is on your wishlist you may wanna try the new Gen4 Glock. Has a dual recoil spring. Alot of people are saying its like shooting a 9mm. Good luck in your decision.

That would be worth a shot (pardon the pun). Though I like my G30sf a lot, I'd like something smaller to carry (especially in the summer). If the dual recoil spring tames the snappiness, the 27 would win over the 26.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    The Pope was shot 4X's w/ a 9mm, 1X w/ a .45 and we're talking a whole different outcome.
    Target shooting 9mm
    Personal defense .45

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Pope was shot 4X's w/ a 9mm, 1X w/ a .45 and we're talking a whole different outcome.
    Target shooting 9mm
    Personal defense .45

Huh? Poor example. I think I read on the internet that it is all about shot placement. Regardless of what the armchair commandos will tell you, if a person gets shot in the toe with a .45 their leg will not magically fall off. 9mm, .40 s&w, .357 sig, .38 +P, .45 all are good choices for personal defense. Shooting the Pope was a poor choice and my guess is the individual who carried out this act will be judged harshly by someone other then our court system.

Top Bottom