• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IlikeAk's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012

Yesterday we were shooting a buddies recently acquired Glock 19. The gun kept jamming (FTF) onthe last round and having light primer strikes. We are guessing the jammingissue was due to a couple of the mags that have been loaded to full capacity for8 years and not been touched. We know that these magazines have been loaded forat least 8 years because he bought it from his sister who hasn’t touched sinceher last marriage. (8 years ago) But the real question is why the light primer strikes?I though Glock’s were supposed to be the end all be all of reliability. We wereusing Winchester white box which with all of my guns as worked just find. Ihonestly know nothing about Glock’s so can you Glock owners help me out?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For the light primer strikes, I would check the movement of striker assembly...

Take the slide off and manually depress the firing pin plunger... You want the firing pin/striker to move front and back FREELY... If it doesn't, he probably has oil and/or dirt in the channel and simply needs cleaned... This is one area he does not want to lube !

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    No way to tell for sure without looking at it but I am sure it would be an easy fix. If you are close to Indy I would be happy to take a look at it for you. If the light strikes are off center PM me and I'll tell you what will probably fix it.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Many people who are new to Glocks over-lubricate them, being used to older metal frame guns that must be well oiled. Glocks need almost no lubrication at all. I use about a drop of lubricant for the entire gun after I clean mine. Do NOT get any lubricant in the striker channel, it may gum up and keep the striker from moving freely.

Whatever the issue is, it will be simple to fix. Glocks are famous for their reliability because they have very few moving parts compared to other designs. They ARE reliable, so if you are having trouble with one, don't worry about it being a design flaw. It will be up and running in no time, probably with a simple cleaning or spring replacement.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Many people who are new to Glocks over-lubricate them, being used to older metal frame guns that must be well oiled. Glocks need almost no lubrication at all. I use about a drop of lubricant for the entire gun after I clean mine. Do NOT get any lubricant in the striker channel, it may gum up and keep the striker from moving freely.

Whatever the issue is, it will be simple to fix. Glocks are famous for their reliability because they have very few moving parts compared to other designs. They ARE reliable, so if you are having trouble with one, don't worry about it being a design flaw. It will be up and running in no time, probably with a simple cleaning or spring replacement.

:yesway::yesway:

Second all this. People grossly overlubricate Glocks (and other guns.) If you can see the oil, it is way too much. Wipe it off until there is just a dull satin sheen--only a microscopic amount.

Too much oil totally defeats the purpose of lubrication. Instead of making the gun work smoother and last longer, excess oil turns into a sludge (mostly with powder residue) that impedes/stops the action and accelerates wear.

Other issues possible with used Glocks: non-factory internal parts that make the gun worse, not better. It is very easy to turn an exceedingly reliable Glock into a jam-o-matic by "tricking it out" with aftermarket internal parts. So, check (or have a Glock armorer check) it for proper internal action condition.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    :yesway::yesway:

Second all this. People grossly overlubricate Glocks (and other guns.) If you can see the oil, it is way too much. Wipe it off until there is just a dull satin sheen--only a microscopic amount.

Too much oil totally defeats the purpose of lubrication. Instead of making the gun work smoother and last longer, excess oil turns into a sludge (mostly with powder residue) that impedes/stops the action and accelerates wear.

Other issues possible with used Glocks: non-factory internal parts that make the gun worse, not better. It is very easy to turn an exceedingly reliable Glock into a jam-o-matic by "tricking it out" with aftermarket internal parts. So, check (or have a Glock armorer check) it for proper internal action condition.

I feel like you did a home invasion on me and stole these words right out of my head. Great post and totally agree!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Clean the firing pin channel, use fresh factory ammo, hold on to it tight while shooting it. Make sure thumb is not activating the slide stop on recoil. Have a Glock shooter fire it. Problem(s) should be resolved.:patriot:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    And I agree with what's previously been posted. I do have a question that I don't think has been asked yet. Did you strip and clean the gun before shooting it? My guess is there is alot of old oil that is gumming up the action. Should be an easy (free) fix.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom