• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Have a friend considering this choice. I have little experience with M&P. What is your opinion on this issue ?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Glocks and Smith M&Ps: both are great. They are the two brands/models I recommend to folks.
    Personally, I am partial to Glocks, but I have my first M&P on order from Smith as part of recently obtaining my Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer certification.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    They fit your hands very differently. Also the wrist position is different. My guess is that one of these feels a lot more normal to you than the other. I'd go with that one. Both are fine in terms of serviceability.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glock makes a good weapon. I sold my G26 because the gap between the bottom of the butt and the mag continually bit my finger, leaving me with a blood blister after only one mag, two at most. Accuracy was unsatisfactory. Had some experts fire it to check the sights, etc. They called it "OK." I was not satisfied, so I sold it. I liked it. It fit my hand perfectly. I really liked it. But I sold it.

I bought the MP22 for training purposes.

Product: Smith & Wesson Model M&P22 - 12 Rounds

Nice training weapon. It is identical to the MP line, or close enough that it takes careful attention to detail to notice the difference. I can practice handling FTF, FTE drills. I can practice drawing, quick acquisition of target, left/right hand firing, etc. The pistol is just set up to make training possible. It fails to fire often enough that the training is very effective. The mags are loose, occasionally allowing the rounds to misalign in the mag and FTF. Again, good training. I like this gun! I really like it, but it feels cheap.

I opted for Taurus for EDC. I bought two of them with the proceeds from the sale of the G26. I bought them both from INGO members. I had to send one back to Taurus for warranty work. The INGOer did not tell me about those problems, but Taurus honored the lifetime warranty and fixed it up in a couple weeks. Both weapons have performed flawlessly for over two years and 1,000 rounds now. Accuracy is far better than I ever achieved with the G26. Maybe I am a better shooter now; maybe the training has helped; but I know my accuracy has stepped up big time once I picked up that 24/7.

If I had to choose between Glock and MP I would go with the MP because it has an external safety; but I know the Glock would perform better because it is stronger, more solid in construction. But I prefer Taurus over both.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've tried both, owned both. Between the two I like the feel of the M&P better, loved the ergonomics of it. For triggers, I definitely preferred the Glock over the Smith.

Long story short, I don't recommend either - I walked away from both and have become a true CZ fan. I have the new for 2014 P-07 in 9mm that I can't seem to miss with, and will soon have a P-07 in 40 as well. These guns just melt in my hands, have pretty darned nice stock triggers with their Omega system, soak up recoil like a sponge, and the grip angle works really well for me.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    MP all the way. I have owned several Glks and several MPs. I like the MP s much more than Glk. New 4th gen may be better, due to the extra back straps that Glk now offers. Glks always had a big grip.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In the past, I've owned three different Glocks. Two G19s, and 1 G17.

I'm now firmly in the M&P "camp".

They both work---and work well. They're both relatively simple point & click devices. I like the way the M&P feels in my hand much better. Plus it looks better - if that matters at all.

Your friend needs to handle and shoot both if possible. Plus about half a dozen others. THEN make the decision.

-J-

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    You will get nothing but personal opinion, which equates to squat. Guns are NOT one size fits all, so what works for me may not for the next guy.

Sooo, having said all that. I chose M&P because it has 21st century ergonomics, good sights and a good trigger out the box.Made it an easy choice for me.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    They fit your hands very differently. Also the wrist position is different. My guess is that one of these feels a lot more normal to you than the other. I'd go with that one. Both are fine in terms of serviceability.

:+1: Get what feels / points most naturally. I am looking at an M&P, shoot Glocks well, but a 1911 feels and points very well for me... so the question comes back to you! Which fits better & points most naturally with a proper firing grip?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Six in one, half dozen in the other. It's a personal preference. Your friend needs to shoot both and pick the one that fits best for him.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    I have both, and I know for a fact the trigger reset on the M&P is very long compared to the Glock (Gen 4). I hate this fact. Now they've since come out with the M&P Pro Series that cures the M&P trigger issues. It is, however quite a bit more money than the standard M&P's ($100-$150 more).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

This. pick which one feels best for you (or the shooter).
    If you go glock and get 9mm, get a gen3 unless you really love some of the gen4 features. If getting .40, get gen4

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I got tired of this debate because I'm an M&P guy and cannot in any way fall into the Glock camp, SOOOOOOOOOOOOO I bought a cheap glock 22 and I have both and I have to say when the 2 are side by side I dislike the Glock more every time I shoot it. NOW don't get your panties in a wad, the G22 doesn't jam and doesn't blowup every other round, and I can't shoot it very well because the grip on the glock feels like a piece of lumber, and because I can't get my hand into the grip the recoil is worse (yes I know the energy is the same between all 40's)

I had a Glock armorer do his thing to the trigger and stuff and I just don't like the feel of the trigger.

I bring both to the range and let new people pick them up and so far everyone who is new likes the feel of the M&P better, They like the removable backstraps (I know G4's have them now but they are still a farce)

If looks matter the glock is from a time of lower manufacturing "finesse" and is square and ugly while the Smith has a few lines to it.

Your welcome to come and shoot what I have, I don't care what you buy cause I ain't making no money from it.

The one thing the Glock does have is a Cool saying, (Rock out with your Glock out)

M&P needs to work on a cool saying and some window stickers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Six in one, half dozen in the other. It's a personal preference. Your friend needs to shoot both and pick the one that fits best for him.

Has your friend had any personal experience with either? If not, chezuki has hit the nail on the head. Your friend needs to at least hold a couple of each type to see which he likes better.

Personally: I'm an M&P guy. The afore mentioned grip angle and ergonomics fit my hands much better with the M&P than with the Glock no matter which model I've tried. They just don't work for me. I can shoot them very accurately, I just don't enjoy doing it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom