• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For the same reason you would on an AR - to facilitate seating a magazine on a closed bolt (slide).

I get why he would recommend it. I just don't think its smart to limit yourself on handgun ammo capacity when you're already using anemic (non-rifle) calibers. Unless of course you were having trouble getting mags to seat reliably during reloads.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is what practice is for. Train how you fight. I am just saying it is a myth that you need to download any mag. It is not needed. My EDC has a 16rnd mag. I carry it with 16+1. If I need to load my AR, I have a full 30rnd mag, insert it, rack the charging handle, and I am good to go. I never had an issue with it. If it gives you peace of mind, so be it.

Yeah, practice will really help with the fact that when a 30-rd mil-spec AR mag is loaded all the way, there is not always enough space to seat mags reliably with the bolt forward.

If you're talking about doing reloads when you have the luxury of unlimited time and little or no stress, you're probably right. On the other hand, I've seen (and used) combinations of rifles and specific magazines that would not seat with the bolt forward if fully loaded. If you get a mag catch that holds mags a little higher than usual, that can happen. Downloading by a round or two fixes the problem.

If you're a tactical superman who can seat fully-loaded mags reliably each and every time under stress and at a reasonable pace, you're a far better operator than anyone I've met. You're clearly better than I am. Maybe you're just really, really strong and the rest of us myth believers are really, really weak.

The rest of us who need the crutch of leaving enough space to allow the mag to seat with significantly fewer problems will just have to press onward knowing that we're sustaining a "myth." (and that we're probably wimpy)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I load the mags one round short. The reason being for combat training you reload when there is a lull or when you are moving. You don't always wait to run the gun dry and the Glock mag is hard to seat on a closed slide when fully loaded.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah I think that Vickers guy knows a little about guns:D

Military Accomplishments of Larry Vickers

Downloading mags isn't his only "sin," either. He also has shot in competition extensively, uses the slide release on his pistols, and he's kinda chubby. Those are things that engendered significant, recurring and harsh criticism from some on various forums over the years when other people did or advocated them. Curiously such criticism abated somewhat when those same people became more familiar with Mr. Vickers. This amuses me.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Yeah, practice will really help with the fact that when a 30-rd mil-spec AR mag is loaded all the way, there is not always enough space to seat mags reliably with the bolt forward.

If you're talking about doing reloads when you have the luxury of unlimited time and little or no stress, you're probably right. On the other hand, I've seen (and used) combinations of rifles and specific magazines that would not seat with the bolt forward if fully loaded. If you get a mag catch that holds mags a little higher than usual, that can happen. Downloading by a round or two fixes the problem.

If you're a tactical superman who can seat fully-loaded mags reliably each and every time under stress and at a reasonable pace, you're a far better operator than anyone I've met. You're clearly better than I am. Maybe you're just really, really strong and the rest of us myth believers are really, really weak.

The rest of us who need the crutch of leaving enough space to allow the mag to seat with significantly fewer problems will just have to press onward knowing that we're sustaining a "myth." (and that we're probably wimpy)

Rep given.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Compressed springs to not fatique on loaded mags, only the actually use/cycling will.

Pistols, 9mm Glocks in my case, work perfectly when loaded to stated capacity as there is still a little bit of "give" on the top round, thus allowing a full mag to easily be seated on a closed slide. Some other types of handguns are not as forgiving, so they might need to be down loaded. Again, it is dependant on your chosen gun, test accordingly.

AR mags, especially GI aluminum mags, while designed to hold 30rds I have personally found that, when NEW, they are much easier to seat when downloaded and after have being used work themselves into being able to seat while loaded to the full 30rd capacity. Again, it depends on the specific gun, mag and the shooters preference. I for one have remedied the whole issue by using PMAGS exclusively, as MagPul designed them with a little "give" while fully loaded to capacity.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Do most carry with a full mag and +1 ? While I believe a good quality mag can be fully loaded, I tend to always be down (1) round due to having one in the chamber.

You can look at it that way... 17 round mag with 16 loaded + 1 in the chamber = 17.

I prefer to think 17 round mag fully loaded + 1 in the chamber = 18.

sti38super

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Seymour
    I have been shooting Glocks in USPSA competion ever since they came up with the prodution class. We always load the mag to full capacity and even put extened base pads on magazines in limited class to increase the capacity. I have never had a problem with any of these mags. Filler her up man.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty

I have never had a problem with 30 rnd mags on a closed bolt. To each their own. I know who Vickers is, does not mean he is right, those are his opinons. You do not have to be a "superman" to insert a mag, just not a limp wristed painsey.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have never had a problem with 30 rnd mags on a closed bolt. To each their own. I know who Vickers is, does not mean he is right, those are his opinons. You do not have to be a "superman" to insert a mag, just not a limp wristed painsey.

On the outside chance that sharing this information might have some positive effect, Larry Vickers is not the only industry professional who advocates downloading 30rd mil-spec AR magazines to minimize problems doing reloads under stress. The list would be too long to type here, and it would be easier to list those who do not suggest the same.

Since you suggest this is merely a training issue, what kind of training have you actually had in the last ten years or so? Among other things, some of us may want to participate in the same classes since the skills learned seem to be able to create more room inside of an AR magazine tube. Somehow.

PS It's spelled "pansy." Perhaps your Tactical Superman Dictionary was downloaded by a few words to make it a little easier to use. I'm just sayin' is all.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Back to the OP. some Glocks have a hard time dropping a magazine when fully loaded and the slide closed, such as the slim frame models with the ambidextrous mag release. I don't know if this problem has been addressed by the 4th gen models.

As far as the health of the magazine, fill em up. A spring is designed to compress, your not going to hurt it. However, the feed lips can dig slightly into the shells case if the magazine is jostled around alot over an extended period, such as that worn by an leo, so it is a good idea to rotate the ammo inside.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    On the outside chance that sharing this information might have some positive effect, Larry Vickers is not the only industry professional who advocates downloading 30rd mil-spec AR magazines to minimize problems doing reloads under stress. The list would be too long to type here, and it would be easier to list those who do not suggest the same.

Since you suggest this is merely a training issue, what kind of training have you actually had in the last ten years or so? Among other things, some of us may want to participate in the same classes since the skills learned seem to be able to create more room inside of an AR magazine tube. Somehow.

PS It's spelled "pansy." Perhaps your Tactical Superman Dictionary was downloaded by a few words to make it a little easier to use. I'm just sayin' is all.

I am glad you can resort to making fun of people's mistakes. You are one class ACT. I was trained in the Army, was never taught the downlaoding of mags. I just tried 2 different AR and 10 fully loaded mags. All inserted with no issues.

Maybe you guys should just download your mags to 1 round. Your mags would last forever and cupcakes like you could insert them with out hurting yourself.

Top Bottom