• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    very true. i have always been interested in .357 sig. does anyone have any experience with these?

.357 sig is a PITA.... I had a .357 sig chambered gun (Taurus PT957 with a magnaport) and wound up selling it due to ammo costs and having too many different handgun calibers, well that and I can't stand ported firearms, they're completely useless after dark.

Now I'm trying to stick with .40 and .45 for handguns from here on out. Still have a few that don't adhere but I inherited them and won't be parting with them.

Oh, and Amen to Glock Perfection.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    .357 sig is a PITA.... I had a .357 sig chambered gun (Taurus PT957 with a magnaport) and wound up selling it due to ammo costs and having too many different handgun calibers, well that and I can't stand ported firearms, they're completely useless after dark.

The .357 sig is what I shoot most. Now, I would totally agree with the above statement if the person doesn't reload. I would also add not only is cost of ammo a factor, availability / selection at most stores can be poor also at time.

If I did not reload, I would not own one. But, being I reload, it works out great for me. I buy once fired brass at 32.00/1000 and being it actually uses a 9mm bullet, I can load it considerably cheaper than .40 or .45.

Being the op mentioned having 9mm's, if he were to want to "add" another caliber, he might be better off buying maybe a G22 or 23. Then if he still considers a .357, A $100.00 after market barrel would lower the financial risk he would take. But again, if he wants to shoot it on a regular basis, he just about has to reload.... That or willing to spend a lot for ammo. Ammo that most doesn't approach what the caliber is capable of.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    very true. i have always been interested in .357 sig. does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm interested as well. If you want a 19 and a .357 sig, why not just try a glock 23? That way you can have 3 calibers from one gun if you get barrels for the 9mm and .357 sig. I've ordered a .357 barrel for my 23, I'll let you know what I think

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    In conversion barrels, you can go down to 9mm but you cannot go up in calibers from 9mm frames.

E.E. If you have a G17, you're out of luck. If you have a G22, you can do has thekuhnburger suggests in getting barrels for 9mm, .357, 10mm, etc.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hello Glock fans!! I have recently come into possession of a Glock 22 that I won during a live auction at the recent Friends of NRA banquet here in Evansville, IN. Ok, this is my very first Glock, EVER! It is N.I.B. It is a NRA Edition, meaning the serial # starts with NRA, nothing else on weapon indicates otherwise. Came with 2 ten rd. mags. I have so far bought 2 boxes of 40 cal. for it and wow it was pricey, over 40 bucks for both. Now I learn that you can put a 9mm barrel in it? Is it just as simple as switching them out?? I have a couple of thousand rounds of 9 that would be a LOT cheaper to shoot for practice I think.

Also I would be interested in participating in some matches of some kind down here near
    Evansville. Would the 40 be an advantage over the 9??

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    First, I would recommend getting a couple of the standard 15 round mags for it. I usually shoot blazer ammo that runs 15 or 16 dollars for a box of 50. My glock 23 shoots the cheap stuff just fine. I'm not sure about the cost of 9mm but I think its a couple bucks cheaper. Remember when you're buying ammo that factory glock barrels aren't meant to shoot lead bullets so any ammo you shoot should have a jacket on it. congrats and have fun!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    If you pick up a 9mm barrell from Lone Wolf (they are good to go), you can shoot 9mm through the firearm. You'll need nothing else EXCEPT G17 magazines. They hold, as the name hints, 17 rounds + 1 of 9mm. Mags can be found for around 25 bucks and cheaper. Korean mags, which are perfect for range time, can be found for 10 bucks and cheaper. I do not recommend carrying with the aftermarket Korean mags unless you've ran a lot through them and trust them. I have one factory G17 mag and several Kahn and KCI mags and they've never hiccuped at the range but I do not trust them to save my life for carry... yet.

Other than that, the gun remains the same. I would dump the ten round mags ASAP (except for range use)... the g22 was meant to hold 15 + 1 in the chamber. More is better!

I would worry less about which round is better... 9mm and .40S&W are proven man-stoppers. Go with whichever you can shoot better. 9mm is what I like because I can afford to practice and it recoils a bit less than .40S&W.

Edit: With Lone Wolf aftermarket barrels, you can shoot lead ammo through them without worries of a kaboom! Nick V. aka the Glock Doc sells them at the 1500... but to guarantee one, I would email him ahead of time and request he bring one for you at the 1500. Assuming you attend the 1500.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you pick up a 9mm barrell from Lone Wolf (they are good to go), you can shoot 9mm through the firearm. You'll need nothing else EXCEPT G17 magazines. They hold, as the name hints, 17 rounds + 1 of 9mm. Mags can be found for around 25 bucks and cheaper. Korean mags, which are perfect for range time, can be found for 10 bucks and cheaper. I do not recommend carrying with the aftermarket Korean mags unless you've ran a lot through them and trust them. I have one factory G17 mag and several Kahn and KCI mags and they've never hiccuped at the range but I do not trust them to save my life for carry... yet.

Other than that, the gun remains the same. I would dump the ten round mags ASAP (except for range use)... the g22 was meant to hold 15 + 1 in the chamber. More is better!

Edit: With Lone Wolf aftermarket barrels, you can shoot lead ammo through them without worries of a kaboom! Nick V. aka the Glock Doc sells them at the 1500... but to guarantee one, I would email him ahead of time and request he bring one for you at the 1500. Assuming you attend the 1500.

Exactly as said above. Only thing I would add is make sure they realize you have a G22 and want the CONVERSION barrel... Not a barrel for a G17. There is a very slight difference. Figure about $100.00 for the Lone wolf brand.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I just took my first sip from the Tenifer® chalice, and it was good. I was holding out for a 29 with Glock night sights, when a 27 with polymer fixed sights jumped into my hands...

hoosier969

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    I was a skeptic... well no i was down right prejudice. I hated glocks. I hated them n the sole principle of a left wing media scam. We were taught to hate glocks in the 90's. They were the evil pistols they could do anything, get through any metal detector. So i am not pandering i am simply stating. I have a glock 26 od, and a glock 17 rtf 2 and these are the best firearms i have ever owned. I just got back from the range today and I love both my glocks. They out perform my fathers sig p226, they out perform my S&W M&P40 and they have no problems. No jams, no malfunctions, even when interchanging mags. I have been thoroughly impressed with these firearms and will continue to buy them. Please let me know if you want to sell me your 19. i'm in the market i need the set!!!!!!
    thats what i thought,then i owned a 19. needless to say, the weird grip angle wasnt as bad as i thought. accurate as ****!!!!

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana

So I'm a little in the dark about what happens if you run lead bullets thru a Glock barrel? Are they not made to handle lead bullets? If they aren't then I must've missed that part in the owners manuel.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    So I'm a little in the dark about what happens if you run lead bullets thru a Glock barrel? Are they not made to handle lead bullets? If they aren't then I must've missed that part in the owners manuel.

On page 15 of my owners manual... "26. Only use high quality commercially manufactured ammunition in excellent condition and in the caliber of your pistol. Glock does not recommend the use of unjacketed lead ammunition"

byford80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    I never wanted one either, always had my xd's. Then I decided to try a 19 and still have it and got rid of xd's

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN

Allegedly, if you run a lot of dirty cast lead unjacketed ammo through a high pressure round in a polygonal rifled barrel in an unsupported chamber, you can get grit and build up in the rifling and it CAN cause a "kaboom!" to occur. I say allegedly because it is not 100% of the time and other factors may come into play such as hot loaded ammo...

glock03kaboom.jpg

ghkb41.jpg

4244_glock_kaboom_photo_1.jpg

unsupported_glock.jpg

And just to show that I'm not a hater (besides owning a Glock in my own stable), it can happen with other pistols...

kaboom_02-tfb.jpg

AnacondaKaBoom001.jpg

glock-kkm-kb-37.jpg

Although the argument presented with after market Glock parts or other firearms manufacturer claims and a kaboom is present, it is due to poor ammo quality. e.e. firing another round after a squib and blowing out your barrel as mentioned in the picture above.
    :popcorn:

Top Bottom