• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    n00b question: what's the biggest benefit of Hogue (or other) grips? Comfort, accuracy, tactical advantage?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The Hogue grip will not come off without a lot, and I mean, A LOT of strain. There can be many reasons to not want a Hogue grip on your Glock, but I don't think this is one.

The #1 reason I don't personally like them stems from the beefy palm swells.

The #2 reason would be that anything that is separate from the grip itself can and will move, even if its only slightly, and therefore will not give you a consistent grip upon unholstering and deploying the gun.

The #3 reason would be the one stated above, which I think does have bearing, considering that piece of equipment failed at the exact moment the officer need it to work.

The grip is the ONLY interface we have with our pistol (whereas we have 4 with a long gun), so its very important that we get that contact correct, every time.

I also understand that we all come to guns for different reasons, so YMMV. :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Which part? The line or the "YMMV"?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

The "come to guns for different reasons" means that we (here on INGO) all share a love of firearms, but for different reasons, and therefore what works for some won't work for others. We've got hobbyists, collectors, hunters, tinker-ers, as well as those that use them for CC, personal protection, war (military), ect.

Specifically, if I had a target gun that never saw any holster time, and the Hogue offered a more comfortable grip, then I'd certainly use one. But, for my specific purpose (cc and self-defense) I think they offer more problems than advantages.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Which part? The line or the "YMMV"?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

The "come to guns for different reasons" means that we (here on INGO) all share a love of firearms, but for different reasons, and therefore what works for some won't work for others. We've got hobbyists, collectors, hunters, tinker-ers, as well as those that use them for CC, personal protection, war (military), ect.

Specifically, if I had a target gun that never saw any holster time, and the Hogue offered a more comfortable grip, then I'd certainly use one. But, for my specific purpose (cc and self-defense) I think they offer more problems than advantages.

Got it. Was just trying to figure out what "come to guns for different reasons" meant. Thanks for the clarification.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Picasa Web Albums - Zac Jackson - FS/T

I had one on my glock (link since its a big pic). I ended up taking it off because it felt too mushy, and changed the angle of my grip each time I picked it up since the finger grooves could move around on top of the factory finger grooves.

I like the rigid, hard grip that ensures the EXACT same grip every time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Its corny as hell, but try a $3.00 bicycle inner tube over the factory finger grooves. I swear it feel better.

I've tried that in my "quest for the best". The innertube idea would most certainly be preferred over the Hogue.

2ry5ab5.jpg

And here's some older food-for-thought. . .

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/4225-opinion_on_houge_handall_wrap_grip.html

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I've got a 3rd generation 23 and I bought a hogue grip with the finger wells as well. It was a pain in the rear to get on. I have noticed that it does rotate some on the frame and I have to turn it back in place. I'm going to shoot without (haven't done that in a while) and recompare.

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    hogue grip

iv`e got one on two of the four glocks i own, the two i carry daily of course, iwas sweatin and cussin trying to get them on but i`m glad there there now. it made the grip feel just a little bigger as a bonus.

Top Bottom