• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Brand new Gen 4 Glock 21. I fired 6 mags of WWB FMJ and 2 Mags of alternating Cor bon JHP and Remington JHP
    Our of that, I had 4 failures.
    On two occasions, the JHPs that were last in the mag, ( 13 of 13 ) failed to chamber.
    The other two occasions, I fired, the casing ejected, the next round chambered, but the trigger remained depressed until I cleared the round.
    This happened once with a JHP and once with an FMJ.

What are your opinions on what is happening?
    What should I do?
    First semi-auto I have owned

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well, given it's your first semi-auto, and it's the most common issue people have with glocks, I tend to suspect limp-wristing.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Limp wrist shooting and / or gun needs broken in & cleaned. I for one DO NOT care for the copper antiseize lubrication Glock uses. Right out of the box I tear them down and remove the copper lube and use a quality lube. Just my $.02

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    It is a possibility but the description doesn't seem to match.

One common result of limp wristing is a failure to eject, as the slide will be moving too slowly at the point where the ejector is activated. The slow moving case will be caught as the slide closes, resulting in a stovepipe jam. These jams can be easily dealt with by knocking the used brass out of the way with the side of your hand or closed fist. The other common result of limp wristing is a failure to return to battery; the slide will be moving too slowly to move the new cartridge fully into the chamber, so the slide will stop partially open. The least common form of failure is a failure to feed, where the slide returns to battery on an empty chamber, because the slide moved back just far enough to eject the fired cartridge, but not enough to strip the next round from the magazine.

No casing ever failed to eject, only failed to feed and fire. And the slide always closed, it never partially closed. Also, I am almost certain that the slide locked back indicating an empty mag, even though a JHP remained in the mag when I dropped it.
    The FMJs were all low velocity target rounds like the paragraph said, but we shot a lot of them, and only one failed to cycle properly, but the three JHPs that failed were +P I believe 185gr, have to check the box again.

I was at the range, as I said, I am very inexperienced. Jeff Kruse over at Fox Prairie Gun club was there, but was not with us when it happened, he was inside. I explained it to him, and he said he would expect the JHP to not cycle in other arms, but a Glock eats anything, I asked someone else, and they said to send the mags in.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    more often that not, limp wristing equates to failure to feed and erratic ejection from short stroking the slide, the case ejects but the slide does not move rearward enough to adequately seat a bullet in the chamber. Try pulling the slide back just enough to clear the cartidge while looking in the ejection port and let go. It won't chamber.
    It is a possibility but the description doesn't seem to match.

No casing ever failed to eject, only failed to feed and fire. And the slide always closed, it never partially closed. Also, I am almost certain that the slide locked back indicating an empty mag, even though a JHP remained in the mag when I dropped it.
    The FMJs were all low velocity target rounds like the paragraph said, but we shot a lot of them, and only one failed to cycle properly, but the three JHPs that failed were +P I believe 185gr, have to check the box again.

I was at the range, as I said, I am very inexperienced. Jeff Kruse over at Fox Prairie Gun club was there, but was not with us when it happened, he was inside. I explained it to him, and he said he would expect the JHP to not cycle in other arms, but a Glock eats anything, I asked someone else, and they said to send the mags in.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks, that does seem accurately described, I have to wait until tomorrow to watch the video, this WIFI is terrible, and my phone is out of data for this month, and resets tomorrow. Next time I shoot, I will work on this. Glad to know it most likely isn't the gun or mag, that would stink. I would rather it be me!

I can barely get this forum to load, keeps getting a failed connection error.

Also, what kind of lube would you recommend for the slide? I did take down t he gun and oil it when I got it, but I didn't strip the copper off because the manual said to not do it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I didn't strip the copper off because the manual said to not do it.

Manual-schmanual... what do they know!! :D

Give it a good cleaning (which will inherently remove the copper lube) and re-lube with a SMALL amount of rem-oil or CLP, or frog lube (if you're feeling froggy and can find it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Glock Failure

What are your opinions on what is happening?

impossibru_90351857.jpg

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    Went through 50 rounds of Magtech and 50 rounds of Remington umc last week with my glock 19 gen3. First gun also. No problem. Went through 4 15 round mag, 1 17round mag. Even my gf who never shot 9mm before were using 2 mags out if those 5. No issue either. I didn't clean it beforehand. Try a better grip technique? We learned 1 type of grip in class (basic pistol). Were told to always use the same grip.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Strip the gun down with Hoppes No.9 and some degreaser. Lube up with QCG or RemDryLube(?). I run my 21 with minimal lube and it runs like a champ. Also, make sure you're letting the trigger reset when you fire, keep your thumb high on the slide and away from the slide lock. And hold on tight!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I do not personally recommend CLP. A cleaner cannot also be a good lubricant and vice versa. It may be able to do both but it will do neither exceptionally well.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm curious to know why people don't like the factory lube? I have left mine on in all my Glocks as long as possible. My duty weapon still has it and I have never experienced a problem. I vote leave it. Glock armorers will also recommend leaving it on as long as possible. Not trying to say its the best, but its plenty good.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm curious to know why people don't like the factory lube? I have left mine on in all my Glocks as long as possible. My duty weapon still has it and I have never experienced a problem. I vote leave it. Glock armorers will also recommend leaving it on as long as possible. Not trying to say its the best, but its plenty good.
    To each their own.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace

I am a Glock Armorer. The stuff is junk. Ditch it and use something better.

Top Bottom