• Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Hypothetical question here.

Let's say you had a buddy that was back from Iraq. While in Irag he had been part of a team that seized a large cache of guns, and he managed to bring one back, under the radar. Lets say it was a Glock 19 Gen 3. Lets say he knows you're a collector and says "Here, buddy" and gives it to you. Lets say the serial numbers on the barrel and slide are different from the serial number on the frame.

Would you be worried to use this as a truck gun or sometimes carry gun? Without knowing the history of the gun? There's a chance this gun was never in the US. There's also a chance that the gun, or part of the gun, is stolen.

It's a nice gun. I just don't want to get stopped with it, have the serial number run, and have some trouble on my hands.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    The gun functions fine. I'm just worried about getting caught with a gun that may/may not be stolen. And I don't know if the "I bought it off an individual" excuse would hold any water.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm just worried about getting caught with a gun that may/may not be stolen. And I don't know if the "I bought it off an individual" excuse would hold any water.

Get rid of it. You've now demonstrated that you have reason to believe the gun may be stolen. You can't claim you didn't know, then they show this and say "yes, you did." Isn't it illegal to bring firearms back now after a deployment? I know some people that couldn't bring back mags and such, let alone a gun.

Get rid of it. Now.

:twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honestly I would have nothing to do with it. If they did run the serial numbers, chances are it would come back on your friend. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but in my opinion not a smart move on his part.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    You should hypothetically accept it, take it to the police, tell them you purchased it from a private seller and would like them to run it to make sure it was not stolen. Tell them if it was, they are welcome to take it, you just don't want to own a stolen weapon.

I can think of no police officer who would arrest you if it did come back as stolen, hypothetically.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If it has never been in the US, I doubt it would show up as stolen. I wouldn't worry about it if it was me, but you are the one that has his tail on the line.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    You should hypothetically accept it, take it to the police, tell them you purchased it from a private seller and would like them to run it to make sure it was not stolen. Tell them if it was, they are welcome to take it, you just don't want to own a stolen weapon.

I can think of no police officer who would arrest you if it did come back as stolen, hypothetically.

iagree.gif
    If you know a cop, just have them run it.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    You can go up to any local police officer and tell them the serial #'s and they can run it on the spot and tell you if any part of it is stolen. If it comes back clean than your fine, if it's HOT be prepared to turn the gun over to police, because they will take it.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    You can go up to any local police officer and tell them the serial #'s and they can run it on the spot and tell you if any part of it is stolen. If it comes back clean than your fine, if it's HOT be prepared to turn the gun over to police, because they will take it.

I would do this. If it comes back clean you get a free gun w/ a cool story that you don't have to worry about. If it's stolen then it gets turned in.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    im really curious as to how he got this thing through customs. i got all but cavity searched on my way back.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    im really curious as to how he got this thing through customs. i got all but cavity searched on my way back.

When we left last deployment, they checked all of our bags. But NCO bags were pretty much glanced at, and the beareded guys don't get checked as thoroughly either. I've heard of people bring back a lot of other stuff.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I would do this. If it comes back clean you get a free gun w/ a cool story that you don't have to worry about. If it's stolen then it gets turned in.

Even if it is not in the system as stolen inside the US, I would worry about having a gun that might have come from outside the country. Don't just worry about state laws of receiving/possessing stolen property. There need to be a throughout check of federal laws as well.

Think of it this way: With computers, some things are possible even if they are not known to occur. Say some anti-terrorism agency, either here or overseas, purposely sold a batch of Glocks to known terrorist to see where they would end up, to possibly try to make an arrest. Say that while NCIC shows the gun not stolen, the S/Ns that get ran are now flagged. Might be getting a knock at the door in the future.

Second problem even if the S/Ns come back clean: The barrel might not be. So what happens if you use the gun in a self-defense shooting, and they pull slugs and run them for matches? I am not sure if this is nationwide just yet, but I know it is going in that direction, just like with S/Ns and fingerprints. What happens when the markings on your slugs from the barrel of that Glock now match a homicide or two here in the states?

At a min., I would see if I could find out if Glock would offer _any_ history on those serial numbers. See where that gun was originally shipped too, etc.. I would be most worried about violating some federal law about bringing in a non-reported firearm, or something along those lines.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Take it to Don's Guns, you will at least get $50 for it... That's better than nothing.
    OR, one could just dig a hole somewhere, throw it in and keep it hidden.. You might need a good "throw down" gun some day.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    When we left last deployment, they checked all of our bags. But NCO bags were pretty much glanced at, and the beareded guys don't get checked as thoroughly either. I've heard of people bring back a lot of other stuff.
    haha. bc everyone knows NCOs are above reproach. they must not have noticed me then bc i got rat ****ed just as bad as everyone else.

Top Bottom