• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    I am not a artsy guy by any means. I would like to polish (or have polished) my Glock 17 barrel. How would I go about doing this?

I would also like to fill in the letters in the slide with white or red like I have seen done. How about this?

A barbeque Glock....

Any help out there? I am in Evansville if anybody wants to jump in and help me out.:D

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I've polished a barrel before with a Dremel and a polishing wheel, and I'd recommend using a polishing wheel mounted to a bench grinder or something of that sort. You can get quicker and more even results. Also, when you're polishing the barrel, it will get quite hot from the friction, so wear some gloves, and give the barrel time to cool down.

I haven't done the letter-coloring thing before, but I've seen some people on YouTube just rubbing a crayon across it to press the color into it, or others heating up the slide a little and melting the crayon into it, then just wiping off the extra.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I polished my old 23 barrel to a mirror finish with a dremel and some turtle wax chrome and metal polish. The black finish comes off easily with just a scotchbrite scratch pad.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    The lettering is a simple thing but you'll need to answer a question first.

1. Do you want the lettering to be temporary or somewhat less temporary?
    If temporary use crayon, if you shoot the wax will melt and run. If less than, I would suggest an acrylic based paint, what you would use to paint model cars, airplanes, etc...

If you go the paint route you'll need a couple things, I'd be more than happy to do an outline of what I did for mine for you, I'm on my phone right now, when I get on my pc I will put a couple pics in here for you.

Wife's Glock:

G26 Pink RSL Side - 2 by faineroxor, on Flickr

G26 Pink Top by faineroxor, on Flickr

My XDm

XDm - White RSL Side by faineroxor, on Flickr

Last edited:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    You should hand sand the barrel block to remove all the nasty mill marks that are under the finish. Then polish with a buffing wheel...dremel would probably work if you have a lot of time on your hands. I have been doing Glock barrels for about 15 years or so as I "jewel them or engine turn them.

Brownells sells the color fill "crayons" to fill in the lettering. I think they have white/red/black/gold. I'm on my phone or I would toss you a link. And trust me they will not "bleed or melt" I have seen guys color fill center fire silencers and it holds up with in reason to the extreme heat.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Oh when sanding the barrel keep the paper on a flat surface so you don't round any egdes, and the two tiny bevels can be sanded to a mirror finish if you keep your angle right it will look nice.

Start with 300 grit, then 400, then 600. Buffing machine with white rouge will remove any light scuffs from 600 grit sanding.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I used white finger nail polish to color in the lettering on mine and I like it. When/if I decide to remove it finger nail poilsh remover (non-acetone) will be used and it comes right off. Something just a little different that I think it makes it look nice. I did the numbering on the mags as well and it makes them really pop.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I am not a artsy guy by any means. I would like to polish (or have polished) my Glock 17 barrel. How would I go about doing this?

I would also like to fill in the letters in the slide with white or red like I have seen done. How about this?

A barbeque Glock....

Any help out there? I am in Evansville if anybody wants to jump in and help me out.:D

Old thread, but I'm in Newburgh...

I used model paint.. It takes longer than using crayon's, but it lasts.

I'm going to do my M&P15-22 in 3 color..:D

lowerNF_zpse4e991af.jpg

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    This is exactly how I colored my Glock 19 except I used cleaning patches instead of paper towels:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcLzaxqsOCE[/ame]

and my 19:
    picture.php

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I bought my G19 and someone had already colored in the lettering which I hate.
    If you've shot it and the coloring hasn't melted out then it was done with paint. Try some fingernail polish remover to get it off. You'll have to work to get it out but if you hate it that much work shouldn't be a problem. :D

Top Bottom