Glock 43 - Personal Reviews from Indiana folks!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuckShotSG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    WIN - NC - NASH
    I know that there are several YouTube sensations that have done reviews, but has anyone here had a chance to get a 43 to the range? We have had several sold through the shop, but nobody has said anything about them. Good, Bad or Indifferent?

:popcorn:

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I picked up the first one sold at M and J firearms on Friday afternoon and fired a couple of hundred rounds on Saturday at ACC.

Feels a bit heavier than the 42 and I liked the mag with the extension much better. Shot my normal reloads and it works great and was pretty accurate, no failures. I noticed the rear sight was a bit off center when I got it and measured it at a bit more than 1/64 off center. So I was compensating. I installed night sights this afternoon and will check it out tomorrow.

Overall I'm very happy with it, feels way smaller than a 26

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Here are my initial observations of the Glock 43 that I picked up yesterday. While it may not carry the weight of a review by Ayoob, it reflects the evaluation by an average shooter. You get what you pay for.

For context, I have a few small guns that I occasionally carry. Each has issues, which is what prompted me to pick up a G43. I'm hoping that, like most Glocks, it will be the best of the worst. Face it -- BUGs have compromises, and this one is no different.

I stacked the G43 up against three other 9mms -- Sig Sauer P938, Kel-Tec PF9, and a Ruger LCR9.

IMG_7806a_zpsebrzscof.jpg

My issues with the P938 are its size -- it's really, really small. So small that my trigger finger has to be in an unnatural position to press the trigger. The external, ambidextrous safety is also really small, and flipping it on and off is a chore that I'd rather not deal with under stress. Lastly, it has a peculiar habit of ejecting the top round from the magazine if it is removed from the gun. Not sure when that would be an issue other than at the range, but it shouldn't happen. Add in the fact that the earliest ones made suffered malfunctions (my firing pin stopped striking the primers) and had to be returned to Sig, it has a little cloud of unreliability hovering over it.

The Kel-Tec PF9 has issues, too. I could leave it at that, but I won't. Mine always goes bang. It's very, very accurate within about 3 feet. Beyond that distance, it's a crapshoot. And, especially with SD ammo, it kicks like a mule! After about 2 mags' worth, my hand is toast. It's cheap, reliable, and basically disposable -- a perfect drop gun for those with a need.

That leaves the Ruger LCR. Being a wheelgun, it's naturally a bit wider than the semis, and only carries 5 rounds. Moon clips are a must also, since it uses rimless cartridges. And, being so light, it also lets you know when it goes bang.

The three semi-autos are designed to be as slim as possible. I didn't dig out a micrometer, but to tuck into a pocket holster or IWB, all three would be excellent. The most notable difference is in the grip of the Sig -- since it's the BRG (Black Rubber Grip) model, it has a noticeable palm swell that makes it a much more enjoyable gun to shoot, but a tad tougher to conceal if thin is in.

IMG_7814a_zpsqej5cvoq.jpg

Compared to its big brother (Glock 21SF), it's noticeably smaller, and it feels a LOT smaller in my hand, as it should. Needless to say, loaded up it's a lot lighter, too.

IMG_7797a_zpso3rwt4pk.jpg

When I took it apart to clean it before a trip to the range, I noticed that it only has two pins. It's my understanding that it's innards are pretty much like the G42. I was surprised to see the workings of the trigger group as well as the slide lock lever. Other than that, it's basic Glock inside.

Firing it for the first time, I was surprised that it had more perceived recoil than I had expected. I'd put it smack in the middle between the Sig and the Kel-Tec. It's not uncomfortable, but it's not exactly fun, either. It's a BUG, period. After about 100 rounds of 115gr Federal and about 50 115gr plated reloads, I decided to push some Cor-Bon rounds down the pipe. Ouch. Again, better than the Kel-Tec but worse than the Sig. It left a definite ouchy on the tip of my trigger finger that lingered a while. I don't consider that a disqualifying attribute though. "Yes, officer, I'm fine. A little shaken, and my trigger finger is a bit numb, but otherwise I'm unharmed ..."

The trigger, while redesigned, is still pure Glock. It's nothing to write home about, but it's firm, smooth and has a relatively clean break. Polishing the guts might smooth it out a little, but compared with the other three BUGs in my little test, it's on par with the Sig's trigger, maybe a bit better.

I shot 5-round groups without a rest (I told you that I'm not Ayoob) from 15', 25', 35', and 50'. It definitely shoots a wee bit left, as demonstrated by the drifting hits the farther away the target was. I'll likely replace the sights anyway, and can dial it in then. It can't be ME, naturally.

IMG_7791a_zps4f1f8vva.jpg

These Cor-Bon rounds were fired from 15 feet ...

IMG_7793a_zpsnopofhus.jpg

Certainly a respectable group for a BUG. Even the dropped rounds would be defensibly acceptable in my book.

Overall, I'd say that the Glock 43 is pretty much what I was looking for. It's big enough to handle confidently yet small enough for deep concealment, unlike my G27. It's not a training gun, and (sadly) many well-intentioned husbands will buy these for their wives and they'll show up in classes with them. Many won't ever shoot again. But that's a subject for another time.

That's my take on the new Glock 43. [Sorry for the extra pic at the bottom -- no clue how to delete it.]

Attachments

• IMG_7806a.jpg
      IMG_7806a.jpg
      130.2 KB · Views: 3

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

My issues with the P938 are its size -- it's really, really small. So small that my trigger finger has to be in an unnatural position to press the trigger. The external, ambidextrous safety is also really small, and flipping it on and off is a chore that I'd rather not deal with under stress. Lastly, it has a peculiar habit of ejecting the top round from the magazine if it is removed from the gun. Not sure when that would be an issue other than at the range, but it shouldn't happen. Add in the fact that the earliest ones made suffered malfunctions (my firing pin stopped striking the primers) and had to be returned to Sig, it has a little cloud of unreliability hovering over it.

I had wondered whether yanking the top round out while removing the mag was a feature unique to my P938. It's downright annoying.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I just picked mine up this morning. I'm making some holsters for it and hoping to get some rounds downrange tomorrow.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Here are my initial observations of the Glock 43 that I picked up yesterday.

Excellent review. Thank you.

When you mentioned trigger redesign, what specifically are you referencing? I'm assuming its serrated as it is on other Glock subcompacts. I'm also assuming/hoping the reset is standard Glock and that you can ride the trigger and that it has a tactile/very perceptible reset? Is that the case? Anything substantially different from other Glocks?

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. Deep conceal is of interest, and I'm really only interested in Glock. I've spent too much time with my various Glock models to learn a new system.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would LOVE to put one through its paces and write my own review. Anyone know of any LGS around Indy (or surrounding area) that has one for sale?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Mark from Bradis reviewed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfRuIIjh8I

(Not sure if he is included in the aforementioned "youtube sensations".)

Geez, I hope not! :):

everything I've read over the last couple weeks says that it isn't smaller than a 26, only thinner.:dunno:

G43_comparo_zpsflswtwef.jpg

From the Internet: G26, G43, G42

G43_26_back_zpsed5ut4ll.jpg

From me: G26, G43

The G43 is slightly shorter in height than the 26, but almost exactly the same length and of course much thinner. The shape of the G43's grip also allows it to sit lower in the hand than the 26, resulting in a gun that feels much smaller than it actually is.

Does it take regular G17/19 night sights or the special size for the G42?

The G43 uses G42 sights, so there are several night sight options already available.

Anyone know of any LGS around Indy (or surrounding area) that has one for sale?

We (Bradis Guns) are taking prepaid-in-full back orders on the first 10 guns we get in; there are still a couple slots open. After that, we will be selling them on a first-come, first-served basis.

HTH!

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    RThe thinness is what it's all about. I couldn't not show mine off so here it is. Hopefully I can shoot it tomorrow.

ncmk4x.jpg

Trijicons for the win.

fum9f6.jpg

And you can't have a new gun without some new holsters to put it in.

acz6ua.jpg

331eyo4.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I haven't held one yet, but everything I've read over the last couple weeks says that it isn't smaller than a 26, only thinner.:dunno:

For IWB, that thinness is important. I went from uncomfortably carrying a G19/G26 to very comfortably carrying a Shield a year ago. The difference was very noticeable. Plus, the smaller, lighter gun only needed a small, single clip holster, which made it even more comfortable. If I didn't already own the Shield, I'd be snatching one of these up as soon as I could :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I can't wait for Bradis to get one. I want to hold one and see how it feels.

My problem is that I don't have the cash for one, and would have to sell something to get one.
    My other problem is that I go back and forth on if it would be worth getting a G43. I have no problems concealing my Glock 26, and I like the fact it holds 10 rounds, and can hold a Glock 19 magazine as well. BUT, I can see how the G43 would be EASIER to conceal.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Central IN
    I will be getting one as soon as I can find a blue label store with one in stock. That is as long as the feed back and reviews remain positive. I had some issues with my first 42 so I did not rush out and get on any list this time. I hope this waiting period I put myself in doesn't kill me but I am hoping it will pay off if problems start being reported. Even though it does not seem that it is going to happen.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom