• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I have an XD9 subcompact and an XD9 service.
    The mags are compatable, especially with the grip extension.
    I'll try to get some pic's up for you later today.

You couldn't have gone wrong either way. As you did, I prefer the grip angle on the XD and I also prefer using my right hand for mag release so the ambi was a big +.

Enjoy!

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I bought a XD subcompact after owning a g19 for 15 years. I bought it with the intention of it being my primary pc since it held more than a 26, and the XD mag with pierce grip extension fit better in my hand. I do however think that I should have got gotten the glock for a few reasons:
    1. I was use to the the g19 so muscle memory was already there. The grip is more "1911 style" on the XD so I had to get use to that, plus it's grip safety was different.
    2. I already owned larger compatible mags
    3. I already owned numerous holsters
    4. I was very familiar with the inner workings of the glock way before the XD purchase.

With saying all of this, I still really enjoy my XD and enjoy carrying it. I just feel the glock would of been a wiser choice, guess another pistol is in my future.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Thank you everyone who gave their advice. I think I am going to go with the XD, it just feels better in my hand. Down the road I may even get the 9mm XD compact or service to replace the old Glock 19. Does anyone know if the mags are interchangeable between the 9mm XD models?

:rockwoot: Good choice.

Yes, magazines of the same caliber are compatible.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I did own both, am now down to just the G26. Traded the Xd to another member last week in a smooth transaction.

I liked them both, I just prefer the overall feel and less bulky slide on the GLOCK. Plus I already have beaucoup GLOCK mags around the house that will fit the 26 in a pinch.

I DID prefer the steel sights on the Springfield. And yes, I would buy another if a good deal came around.

You will have a neat carry gun, regardless of your choice.

Last edited:

JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    I like the 26 for a carry gun better. Also like was said you can still use your old mags. Not sure why but ithere is just something I don't like about the grip safety on the xd's

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I like the 26 for a carry gun better. Also like was said you can still use your old mags. Not sure why but ithere is just something I don't like about the grip safety on the xd's

Only quoting you because you're the most recent post, so don't think I'm picking on you. I've seen/heard a lot of people say similar things before, but I've yet to hear what about it bothers people. So, what don't you like about it?

Reason I ask is that, in my experience, it's so unobtrusive in feel and function that I can't fathom it causing anybody legitimate problems.

Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    both are good guns i used to own an xd and it never had any issues and am about to buy a g27 just go with whatever you can shoot best you will be happy either way

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    Glock 26, for all the reasons pointed out above. The wife's had hers for 15 years and loves it. :yesway:

This like every other (what gun should I get or what one is better) will get you different answers.

No shat. Thank you Mr. Obvious. :laugh: I'll bet that's what the OP had in mind.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No one has mentioned the barrel length difference between these two yet:

G26 - 3.46"
    XDsc - 3"

Tests show that the Glock is of a barrel length that most commercial ammunition will perform terminally as designed.

The XD's barrel is short enough (i.e. less than 3.5") that some ammunition could be "iffy" in terms of performance such that, if you go with an XDsc you should really test your carry ammo to ensure that it's terminal performance is what you want. This is non-trivial imo.

"This is Dr. Roberts take on the issue:
    Actually, all our testing has traditionally been done in 4" barrels for 9 mm, .40 S&W, and 4.25" for .45 ACP, although recently most of the organizations we test for have been asking for 5" barrel data for .45 ACP. There is really no difference in performance between a 3.5" and 4" barrel in 9 mm and .40 S&W. In .45 ACP, we see a reasonably significant change in performance going from a 5" to 3.5" or less barrels. Since almost all viable pistols in 9 mm and .40 S&W use 3.5-4.5" barrels, there are no "short barrel" worries for serious end-users. Likewise, almost all .45 ACP platforms worthy of hard use use barrels greater than 4", so again, the short barrel question is moot... "
    from - Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo LENGTH

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Thank you everyone who gave their advice. I think I am going to go with the XD, it just feels better in my hand. Down the road I may even get the 9mm XD compact or service to replace the old Glock 19. Does anyone know if the mags are interchangeable between the 9mm XD models?

The grip safety locks up the slide if not fully depressed. That could cause a problem with a reload if one hand is injured. It's a remote possibility, sure, but why add unnecessary points of failure to your defensive weapon? The grip safety is useless for those who pay attention to what they are doing and don't engage in careless gun handling.

Other negatives regarding the XD are its weight and bulk compared to a G26, its high bore axis, the lack of armorer support as good as the Glock or M&P, and the grip length, which is almost as long as a G19 with the flush mag. Hardly a "sub-compact."

I vote the G26, or any other compact pistol that does not have a useless feature that serves no real purpose.

The grip safety deactivates if you are holding the pistol. It is a really basic concept. It won't cause a problem with a reload if you are holding the pistol. A safety, grip or thumb, is essential. It is necessary. It is wise and prudent for anyone who happens to be a fallible human being.

The size and grip length of the subcompact makes it very shootable. It is laughable to consider as a benefit a grip that is barely there. The difference in bore height is negligible. People make this critique based on appearance. Ergonomics are a far more important aspect of felt recoil and controllability. The slimmer grip and grip angle that fits the human hand quickly negates any difference in bore height.

It is peculiar to count such beneficial features as negatives especially when making the comparison to a design that is as flawed as a glock.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Don't forget about the loaded chamber and striker status indicators on the XD

To be fair, glocks have the same thing. The features aren't as well place but they are there. You can tell a round is chambered if the extractor is protruding. If the trigger is forward you can tell the striker is in that strange pre-set location before the long mushy double action pull that, for simplicity, is usually referred to as "cocked."

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    The grip safety deactivates if you are holding the pistol. It is a really basic concept. It won't cause a problem with a reload if you are holding the pistol. A safety, grip or thumb, is essential. It is necessary. It is wise and prudent for anyone who happens to be a fallible human being.

The size and grip length of the subcompact makes it very shootable. It is laughable to consider as a benefit a grip that is barely there. The difference in bore height is negligible. People make this critique based on appearance. Ergonomics are a far more important aspect of felt recoil and controllability. The slimmer grip and grip angle that fits the human hand quickly negates any difference in bore height.

It is peculiar to count such beneficial features as negatives especially when making the comparison to a design that is as flawed as a glock.

PleasegoonCat.jpg

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    If you like the Glock 26 then get the 27 and carry 40 caliber. You could always drop in a Wolf conversion barrel and practice with the cheaper 9mm. Anyone agree with my logic?

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    If you like the Glock 26 then get the 27 and carry 40 caliber. You could always drop in a Wolf conversion barrel and practice with the cheaper 9mm. Anyone agree with my logic?

I am trying to reduce the variety of different handgun ammunition that I have to stock. I have gotten rid of everything that is not 9mm or .45acp.

Top Bottom