• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Im looking to get me a new G23 but I cant decide between Gen 4 or 3, well I like the Gen 4 better as far as looks and ergo but im hearing all these issues with the FTE, new recoil spring, and that little dimple on the trigger bar of the gen 4 that might be causing some issues. So my understanding is that it was only an issue with the G19 gen 4s due to the same recoil spring as the G23.
    I went to three different gun stores and asked the guy about the Gen 4 issues and none of them knew what I was talking about, saying they never heard of such problems with the Gen 4s.
    Can anyone familiar shed some light for me, maybe the new Gen 4 dont have those issues anymore if they replaced the recoil spring or whatever.
    Thanks.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    personally, i stick 1 generation behind what is the "newest". seems that for the build model, all the kinks and quirks are worked out. that being said, i love my g19.

IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I can't speak for the Gen 4 but my Gen 3 G23 has performed flawlessly for me. Visually I like the Gen 4 better but I am not going to upgrade just for that. Plus my G23 was my first gun and I'll never get rid of it for any reason.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The dual recoil springs don't seem to make much difference in recoil, from the reviews I've watched. The reason to get the Gen 4 is if either the texture or the grip panels make it a better fit for your hand.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I own a Gen4 27 & 23 and I have a Gen4 22 issued to me. Haven't had a bit of trouble from any of them although I haven't fired the 27 much. The only changes I've made have been installing the Trijicon HD sights and I don't plan to make any other changes. The new "dot" connectors are an improvement in trigger feel. I did notice that shooting the Gen4 22 without a backstrap added caused me to shoot a bit high. I've installed the medium backstrap on all three and they shoot just like the Gen3 pistols did.

We have issued over 1500 new Gen4 pistols this year and haven't seen any issues with any of them.

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    never had any problems with gen 3 or 4 you realy cant go wrong. personaly i would go with gen 4 the backstraps are pretty nice.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've got a Gen 3 27 & 23 and have no issues.

Most of the issues I have heard have been with 19's ejecting brass to the face of the shooter and the issues have been reported with both newer Gen 3's and Gen 4's in the 9mm (26,19,17) models. I have not heard of many issues with the 40 caliber models.

ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks for you replys guys, I was thinking that G23 wouldnt have issues like the G19, anyway, I looked at the new Gen 3 G23 and it seems that it has the same finish as the gen 4, maybe they changed it on new models.
    Anyway, I shot G23 Gen 3 at the range and liked it, I was surprisingly accurate with it considering it was my first time shooting it, different trigger etc. I might think about it and maybe even get a Gen 3, depends whats available when Im ready to buy.

Top Bottom