Glock 23 conversion barrel shoots high, Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have a Glock 23 2nd gen that I bought from some good people here on INGO.
    It's a fine gun and there is nothing wrong with it at all.
    The sights are point of aim with the original barrel.
    However,
    I bought a 9mm conversion barrel from Wolfe and when it's installed, the gun shoots about 6" high at 10 yards.
    It is bad enough to miss targets altogether.
    My son was shooting it and missing everything.
    He is usually a pretty good shooter so I gave it a try and sure enough it was shooting high for me too.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would make this barrel shoot off of point of aim that far?
    I don't even know what to look for.
    I have removed and reinstalled the barrel a couple of times and it shoots high every time while the original 40 barrel shoots poa.
    WWB ammo for both barrels.
    Help :dunno:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Are you anticipating the .40 (or whatever higher caliber) recoil and not used to a 9 out of that particular firearm?

What is the rifle twist for that barrel... would that have any effect?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Thanks for the replies.
    Are you anticipating the .40 (or whatever higher caliber) recoil and not used to a 9 out of that particular firearm?
    Since it shoots high for me and my son, I don't think it's anticipation.

Is there any play between the barrel and slide compared to the original barrel?
    I don't think there is any play between the barrels.
    I did talk to the glock guy at the 1500 and he said it shouldn't do that.

I have read that if you change the Guide Rod to a Heavy Tungsten Guide Rod it can help. It places more weight to the end of the barrel
    That would help with recoil I would think, but the bullet leaves the gun before the recoil occurs, so I am not sure it will help with the different barrels shooting differently.
    But HEY! If nothing else works I will try it just to see. :)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a Glock 23 2nd gen that I bought from some good people here on INGO.
    It's a fine gun and there is nothing wrong with it at all.
    The sights are point of aim with the original barrel.
    However,
    I bought a 9mm conversion barrel from Wolfe and when it's installed, the gun shoots about 6" high at 10 yards.
    It is bad enough to miss targets altogether.
    My son was shooting it and missing everything.
    He is usually a pretty good shooter so I gave it a try and sure enough it was shooting high for me too.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would make this barrel shoot off of point of aim that far?
    I don't even know what to look for.
    I have removed and reinstalled the barrel a couple of times and it shoots high every time while the original 40 barrel shoots poa.
    WWB ammo for both barrels.
    Help :dunno:

I had a lone wolf 9mm barrel that I used in the G22 I had, shot fine. It shouldn't be like that, did you buy the lone wolf barrel new? They have a lifetime warranty if I remember correctly. Does anyone on here live close by that has a simliar conversion barrel you could try? Something isn't doing what it's supposed to, wish I could be more help.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Yes, I bought it new.
    That was a lot of help.
    You and the Glock Guy are in agreement.

I wish I knew what to look for.
    Hmmmm maybe I will call Lone Wolf...

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Let us know how it goes, btgarner0 up there is my dad and I was counting on trying out his conversion barrel before getting one for my G22 and G35. I have usually heard good things about the lonewolf barrels so i am interested in how their customer service is.

my first thought was that it may be mismarked as a conversion barrel when it is actually a 9mm barrel but you said it doesn't have unusual play so I am stumped.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Yes, I bought it new.
    That was a lot of help.
    You and the Glock Guy are in agreement.

I wish I knew what to look for.
    Hmmmm maybe I will call Lone Wolf...

6" is crazy high that close, I don't see how the barrel couldn't fit right. That would be clearly visible because you see how the factory barrel fits. I would call lone wolf if it were me, since the factory barrel shoots fine it has to be a problem the lone wolf barrel.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I don't see how the barrel couldn't fit right.
    Me neither.
    The slide and everything seems to go to together well with the lone wolf barrel.

I called Lone Wolf.
    The guy could not offer any advice.
    He said that was a rare occurrence.
    He said to send it in.
    4 to 6 weeks.
    Bleh.

I will resurrect this thread as a zombie when I hear back from them. :abused:

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Hornett, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. The 9mm conv. barrels for the .40 Glocks don't always work well. From my experiences, these conversions are hit and miss at best. The breechface for the G23 is cut for a .40 case. The G23 also has extractor parts specific to the .40. With all that said, you may have some issues somewhere in there, but its really not worth getting into in this situation. In other words, the only fix I would recommend is to convert the entire gun to 9mm. Other than that, you could go with taller sights, but that would defeat the purpose in the first place.

I would surely send the barrel back and get a new one. Keep in mind however that the conversion barrel will never be as reliable or as accurate as a "complete" conversion. What I'm saying is, never expect much performance from a 9mm conversion barrel in a .40 chambered Glock.

shadowofsx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Hi Hornett!

I'm new to this forum and making my first post thanks to you! I saw that you were having the same problem I was with my Glock 31.

I was wondering if you ever resolved the problem? I have a .40 BarSto and the 9mm Lone Wolf conversion barrels for my Glock 31. Both shoot 4" high at 10 yards. The stock 357 sig barrel is dead on. The only good thing I can say is that all the shots are consistent. I spoke to a Lone Wolf rep. and they said it could be the barrel or it could be my gun. So I went and tired my 9mm conversion in a friend's Glock 22 since it also fits in that as well. The shots were pretty close to center. I have yet to try my friend's conversion barrel in my Glock 31.

I was thinking about it and I could only come up with that the conversion barrel is sitting at an upward angel and would require filing of some sorts which not something I want to do. I'll let you know how testing my friend's conversion barrel in my Glock works out! Hope you were able to fix your problem and to hear back from you!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I mailed the barrel back to Lone Wolf with a 10 yard target and after a few weeks it came back with a note that they milled something.
    That fixed it and I never worried about it again.
    I was never sure what they did.

Call Lone Wolf for the problem with their barrel.
    They are really good about customer service.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Glad to hear everything got resolved through Lone Wolf. Everything I've ever bought from them has been top notch, and their customer service appears to be exemplary.

I've purchased conversion barrels, including a 9mm one, from Lone Wolf, never had that issue with it. However, it sounds like the problem with yours was rectified, so at this point it appears that it was a simple machining issue. Toolwork being what it is, even with modern computer and laser technology, it makes sense that could happen. The cutting blade(s) being too worn and needing to be changed sooner, etc.

Just a minor sidebar: Without getting too much into physics, recoil 'starts', essentially, the moment the primer is struck. While we've long heard that "recoil occurs AFTER the bullet leaves the barrel", this is something of a misrepresentation.

This is why 'follow through', holding your position for that brief moment AFTER pulling the trigger, is important.

randyhill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2014
    Norman
    I just had the same problem with a Lone Wolf Barrel, seems that they haven't resolved the quality problem. I opened a chat dialog on their web site. They wanted to know how long I had been shooting and suggested that might need glasses. After explaining that I am an NRA instructor and a Glock armor they allowed me to send the barrel back for evaluation. So far I am not impressed.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Out of curiousity I ran the math, and all other things being equal the bore axis alignment with the conversion barrel in has to have changed by a significant fraction of a degree (.955) which seems like a lot given modern machining tolerances. It definitely seems like it would be more fit than finish.

Top Bottom