• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Size-wise, it's barely bigger than the 17. Unless you held them side by side, I don't think you'd know the difference. Recoil is different than the 9mms, but not really any more difficult to handle, especially if you were shooting defensive loads in the 9mms. .45acp just feels different.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I enjoy my hk usp 45 and I own many 1911 I'm assuming its about the sane recoil. As far as feels different is it uncomfortable.

I guess everyone's version of 'uncomfortable' is different. I can't remember ever hearing anyone describe it as uncomfortable, personally. I've seen little old ladies shoot .45acp and not mind it. I think it's a great cal.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I actually think the G21, in any generation, is one of the finest .45 pistols out there. I have an old Gen 3 G21 with about 7,000 rounds through it in practice and IDPA and it looks and functions just like it did when it fired it's first round.

That wide polymer frame does a fantastic job of soaking up recoil and the Gen 4 21 is even a touch milder. I actually tend to shoot my G21 as fast or faster than I do my G34 the recoil is that soft. I do carry it, although in cooler/colder weather since it is a full-size gun but that has to do more with the length of the handle than the width of the gun itself. My daily carry is it's little brother, the G30.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    There is the Glock 21 and the Glock 21 SF (Slim Frame) The Slim Frame is comparable to the glock 17. Now I have a Glock 21 Gen 2 and the grip is like holding onto a 4x4 post. I have larger hands so it works for me but could see someone with a smaller hand not like this gun. The recoil is not bad at all very manageable. Glock 21 is a great gun IMHO. There are better options out there as far as a carry gun. I wouldn't consider a G21 or G17 for that matter a gun that is concealed easy (I know people do carry a G21 and G17 for a carry gun.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I'm not going to carry it I have sw body guard and an hk p7 that I daily carry. I just have a lot of 45acp and looking for something to take as a sidearm when hunting besides a large frame revolvers I normally carry (ruger srh 454 Alaskan, sw 500, ruger gp100) all great revolvers but can get heavy on long hikes.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My only experience with that size of a glock was with a G20. They're identical in size and for me I would never consider carrying something that big. I don't see the reason behind trying to carry a full size gun when so many quality compact and subcompact guns are better suited for carrying. If you want one just because then that's a different animal.

Recoil of a 45acp isn't anything to be afraid of. It's different than a 9mm, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing.

Capacity on a G21is 13 without any extensions on the mags. That's a whole lot of 45acp punching holes in stuff.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    As I said I'm just looking for another 45 for the mix and to take hunting. I've always felt concealed carry to me was no one knowing you have a gun on you. If they know you have a gun you have already list 1/2 the battle.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Size-wise, it's barely bigger than the 17. Unless you held them side by side, I don't think you'd know the difference. Recoil is different than the 9mms, but not really any more difficult to handle, especially if you were shooting defensive loads in the 9mms. .45acp just feels different.

This may be dimensionally true, but to me the 21 is quite a bit too big. Feels like holding a brick. I've never shot an sf model. The 9mm/40 frame size is great though. My hands are about average size.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    My only experience with that size of a glock was with a G20. They're identical in size and for me I would never consider carrying something that big. I don't see the reason behind trying to carry a full size gun when so many quality compact and subcompact guns are better suited for carrying. If you want one just because then that's a different animal.

Totally valid, but my train of thought is different. For me, I don't see the rationale for carrying any less gun than you are able to carry. If that's a Nano, so be it, but if you CAN carry a full-sized gun, why would you NOT carry a full-sized gun? If a voice spoke to you from the darkness in the night saying, "Tomorrow your life will be in danger, your family will be threatened, and you will be in a gunfight", what gun would you take? That's the gun you should take every day, if you can. If not, step down that list, in order, until you get to the first one that you CAN carry. Not the one that's most comfy, or the one where you're betting that you won't have a problem, but could give it a shot if you absolutely had to -- the one you'd want in your hand if you had to protect your kids today. I think a G21 would be a decent choice.

YMMV.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The Gen 4 G21 without back straps is an excellent carry gun. I have never attempted to carry it IWB concealed, I only carry it OWB in the open. It's not very heavy at all. It's shooting great as well. If you are looking for a gun to hide so you can surprise a bad guy so you can have the satisfaction of killing him, you might want to get a smaller gun. I don't know how well the G 21 conceals, it's rather bulky. But if you want a great carry gun to trust your life on, then the G 21 is awesome.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I carried a G21 for awhile, I don't think it's any worst than carrying my EDC now, G22. The recoil isn't bad at all and I would say not much more than the G17.

I think I would look at a G20 though if you wanted to use it for a woods carry. The caliber is a better choice in the woods IMO.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Totally valid, but my train of thought is different. For me, I don't see the rationale for carrying any less gun than you are able to carry. If that's a Nano, so be it, but if you CAN carry a full-sized gun, why would you NOT carry a full-sized gun? If a voice spoke to you from the darkness in the night saying, "Tomorrow your life will be in danger, your family will be threatened, and you will be in a gunfight", what gun would you take? That's the gun you should take every day, if you can. If not, step down that list, in order, until you get to the first one that you CAN carry. Not the one that's most comfy, or the one where you're betting that you won't have a problem, but could give it a shot if you absolutely had to -- the one you'd want in your hand if you had to protect your kids today. I think a G21 would be a decent choice.

YMMV.

Well put. On that note I think I would rather have the 17 for the extra BB's, but that doesn't really change your viewpoint. Bigger is better only until its not.

If you primarily OC, then carrying anything less than a full size pistol is, well foolish IMHO.

Oh, and for hunting go 10mm.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I daily carry a Gen4 Glock 21 everyday. I conceal carry it to. I carry it in a Galco pancake style holster and it sits the gun up very close to my body. Im 5ft 9in tall and only about 170lbs. I dont find the G21 to big or heavy.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    From my experience the .45acp is much more "comfortable" to shoot than a .40. Not everyone feels that way but I certainly do. I have no trouble with the .40 but if you are concerned about recoil with the .45, well, I wouldn't be. It is more of a push than a snap like the .40. If given a choice between the two and I had to shoot a couple hundred rounds I would go with the .45 all day every day.

Top Bottom