• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    NW Indy
    Most of my guns are Glocks. I like them all. I need a .45 and have narrowed it down to Glock 21 sf or Springfield Armory XD (non M) .45.
    I have looked at everything so please limit your input to these two. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The Glock 21 is a massive gun, and the grip is poorly shaped, IMHO.

The XD45 is much more comfortable, and better sized.

Both are fine guns, and you already know and like Glocks, so that may (should?) hold some sway.

Pick 'em up, see which you like.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    Most of my guns are Glocks. I like them all. I need a .45 and have narrowed it down to Glock 21 sf or Springfield Armory XD (non M) .45.
    I have looked at everything so please limit your input to these two. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try the XD45 Compact. Easy to conceal with the 10 round magazine and also you get a 13 rounder as a back up. Has a slimmer grip too with an extension for larger hands.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I know, I know, but I just have to go outside the boundry here, since you said you love Glock and want a .45. Have you considered the Glock 37 or 38 GAP? The frame fits the hand perfect, they're accurate as all get out and you still have .45 performance in a comfortable Glock. I love mine and for the money, they're worth considering. Sorry, but I'm just trying to help and had to throw it out there!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are great guns, cant go wrong with either. I vote Glock though

You say most of your guns are Glocks, then I would stick with the Glock. Same feel, same trigger, should feel normal to you.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    The 21SF would get my vote of the two. If you want a polymer frames .45 that is more suitable for carry because of it's size you may want to add the 30SF and the M&P to your list.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I really like the G30SF. The G21SF is fine too and would be my choice between the Glock 21 and full-size XD 45s, since I prefer to NOT have a grip safety as the XD series does. The Glock grip works just fine for me. Size is relative.

I'm assuming the "everything" you've looked at includes the S&W M&P45, so I will NOT mention it as a potential candidate. Oops, I guess I just did. ;)

hubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    NW Indy
    Thanks, guys. I have ruled out all 1911 styles, M&P and others.

The standard G21 feels just a little to big for my hand. The 21SF does in fact feel better than the standard G21. The SA XD (not M) feels better to me than the XDm regardless of the back strap on the XDm. It must be a .45 ACP.
    It is just really close. Time to shoot 'em both. Looking for your input on these two.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    One thing to consider is the ammo you'll use for plinking/training. IIRC because of the polygonal rifling in the Glock the warranty officially negates using cast bullets. The XDs use traditional rifling and have no cast bullet disclaimer in the warranty.

This is the major reason I steer clear of Glocks, since I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively. I know the odds of having an issue are very low but I don't see a reason to risk it when Springfield offers basically the same lineup in the XDs without the restriction.

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    I have the Glock 21SF and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. I also purchased a crossbreed holster and belt and surprisingly enough it carries pretty nice in the winter time. It's not so easy to conceal with shorts and a t-shirt though.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I suggest the XD45. I have the five inch version and couldn't be happier with it. You're obviously not going to see a reliability or accuracy difference in the guns. The advantage of the XD is the trigger is better and the grip is much slimmer. I appreciate having an actual safety as well. However, there is something to be said for sticking to a platform you are used to. If most of your guns are glocks it may be worth it to you to go with the 21sf. Do your best to shoot both of them before you decide.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Buy the G21 SF ! Don't do what I did. I owned all Glocks too but the G21 just didn't feel right in my hand so I bought the Xd-45 service. I liked it so well that I also added the 5 in tactical. I still have both today along with my Glocks. I beat myself up everytime I go to the range because I shoot the Xd's better then I do most of my Glocks.

FWIW, The most accurate load I shoot is a 200 gr cast SWC. It is a very accurate load out of the XD's, but they tend to be a little picky on the OAL. I have found it likes them best loaded to 1.250, but I will still get a few FTF at the range in both. The G21 on the other hand, functions flawlessly regardless if the OAL is 1.22 or 1.26.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    One thing to consider is the ammo you'll use for plinking/training. IIRC because of the polygonal rifling in the Glock the warranty officially negates using cast bullets. The XDs use traditional rifling and have no cast bullet disclaimer in the warranty.

This is the major reason I steer clear of Glocks, since I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively. I know the odds of having an issue are very low but I don't see a reason to risk it when Springfield offers basically the same lineup in the XDs without the restriction.

If you like the Glocks, there are several good aftermarket sources available with conventional rifling. They aren't expensive.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I know you said Xd or Glock. However I would also look into the FNP 45. They are hammer fired, decocker plus safety. You get three mags, and two interchangeable back straps. They are a great pistol. Both light and accurate. I'm not a fan of Glocks, so I cant help you there. I do own an Xd, and they are great guns. Still a bit heavy compared to others.

Top Bottom