• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    I have my first Glock. It is a model 20 10MM (it was a good deal). Of course the first thing I do with any gun I own is to upgrade, convert, or do something to it to make it better or more useful.
    My first quest is to get it to safely shoot 40 s&w. I see barrel conversions out there but have read where some have shot 40s right in the 10MM barrel. their only complaint is that they need to clean the barrel where the case is shorter.
    Any suggestions? should I get different springs also?
    Thanks

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I don't see how they are shooting 40 in a 10mm bbl since I thought it head spaced off the case mouth. I have a 20 and 29 and just tried to put a 40 in the bbl and it just drops in to far. I shoot 40 from my revolvers but they use moon clips so the case fits in the cylinder much like a 38 in a 357. I'd be interested in more info.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Honestly I don't know why you'd want to shoot the 40 Short and Weak out of the 20. You can buy 10mm downloaded to 40 ballistics and not have to buy another bbl. I like the power of the 10mm a lot better than the 40. I do know 40 has a greater selection of loads and is cheaper to buy though. I don't shoot it enough to worry about the cost. JMHO.

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    Good points

Honestly I don't know why you'd want to shoot the 40 Short and Weak out of the 20. You can buy 10mm downloaded to 40 ballistics and not have to buy another bbl. I like the power of the 10mm a lot better than the 40. I do know 40 has a greater selection of loads and is cheaper to buy though. I don't shoot it enough to worry about the cost. JMHO.

It is for availability and cost of ammo. I would not do it if I had something that shoots 40 already.
    The main purpose of the Glock is to shoot 10MM but it would be nice to just drop in a different barrel and plink away with 40's if I wanted.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I got the Lone Wolf Distributors .40 bbl for my G20 a few weeks ago and have been having fun with it. I never bothered before since I didn't own a .40, but now my back-up gun is a PPS in .40, so it's nice to have the capability for my G20. .40 shoots nice and gentle out of the G20, but my next step is to get a lighter spring for it since it is rather anemic at ejecting the rounds. The LWD is a drop in replacement.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't see how they are shooting 40 in a 10mm bbl since I thought it head spaced off the case mouth. I have a 20 and 29 and just tried to put a 40 in the bbl and it just drops in to far. I shoot 40 from my revolvers but they use moon clips so the case fits in the cylinder much like a 38 in a 357. I'd be interested in more info.

Some folks can shoot .40 out of a 10mm bbl in the G20 because the extractor hooks the rim of the case, but my feeling is that while it is possible, it's not a real smart idea.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I got the Lone Wolf Distributors .40 bbl for my G20 a few weeks ago and have been having fun with it. I never bothered before since I didn't own a .40, but now my back-up gun is a PPS in .40, so it's nice to have the capability for my G20. .40 shoots nice and gentle out of the G20, but my next step is to get a lighter spring for it since it is rather anemic at ejecting the rounds. The LWD is a drop in replacement.

Do you happen to know what weight the factory spring is for the G20 ? I know it's the same weight as the G21, but not familiar with what it actually is. I know most their other calibers are 17 lb.

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    Do you happen to know what weight the factory spring is for the G20 ? I know it's the same weight as the G21, but not familiar with what it actually is. I know most their other calibers are 17 lb.

According to this web site
    Springs for GLOCK Semi-Auto Pistols
    The 20 spring is 17 lbs just like the others. I read that the 20 has a heavier slide for the extra power.

GLOCK 20

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Do they make a .357 Sig bbl for the G20? I shoot 357 and that would be a nice bbl to have. I understand the need to shoot as cheaply as possible, as I said above. I don't shoot any 40 but I suppose if I had a 40 and 357 bbl for the G20 I would shoot it.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sweet. Are the ported bbl worth it? I know Glock had issues with their attempts to produce ported bbls. What the heck is 9x25?

It's a necked down 10mm to 9mm made by Dillon for competitions.

I'm not a fan of ported barrels in general unless you like cleaning soot off the front sight of the gun a lot, but they do reduce muzzle flip. I know some competitors use them successfully, but I'm not a fan of building race guns as I prefer to compete with guns I'd use for self defense or hunting.

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    9x25 Dillon

Sweet. Are the ported bbl worth it? I know Glock had issues with their attempts to produce ported bbls. What the heck is 9x25?

I have been thinking of the 9x25 barrel also. I like to think if the 357 sig is a 9mm auto magnum then the 9x25 Dillon is a 9mm auto maximum. Problem is that you have to get the wildcat dies and sacrifice 10mm cases to make them.
    The Glock 20 can be set up to shoot 10mm, 40 s&w, 357 sig and the wildcat 9x25 Dillon using the standard mags with different barrels.
    Personally I would get the extended 6" hunter barrels before the ported ones.

Top Bottom