Glock 19: slim durable OWB holster suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I'm looking for suggestions for a durable holster to keep my Glock handy while working outside on the farm. I specifically want something OWB for a RH 3:00 placement that is snug to my side. And something that positively locks, requiring the finger button release.

I've got a couple paddle holsters that are OK, but they tilt the gun too far from my body to make it practical.

I'm not doing any heavy lifting, but if I'm handling hay or things like that, I don't want the gun out away from my body. Suggestions?

If its comfortable enough, then I will also wear it to town as either CC or OC as well.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why do you need a "finger button release"?

If you MUST have one, Safariland is a GREAT choice. It has the "mechanical" release.

But for OWB, I absolutely love my Raven Concealment. Its very comfortable, and rides very close to the body. And it holds the gun very tight and secure.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If it must be 'finger' released, try one of those dreaded Serpa's that everyone is currently bashing. Why not use a good leather belt holster with a thumb strap release?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would second the vote for the Raven Kydex. It doesn't have a finger release you are looking for, but the Kydex positively holds the gun, and requires a firm pull to remove from the holster. You can hold it up side down and the gun will not fall out.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Kydex would be fine too. I was drawing a mental blank when entering the post - I'm sure the finger release has a more technical term? Thanks for the suggestions. I will look all these up to help me decide.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Raven makes a good product.

I would recommend a Hooch Holster. It is a custom molded kydex holster like the Raven. He is a site supporter here and the holsters are made locally. I wear mine all the time on a Wilderness instructors belt. It is just what you are asking for, just PM GPD177.

Last edited:

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Yikes. Ravens are a little stout in price. Any sources for seconds like the CBST site has available on their products?

Anyone have experience with the Glock Sport holster they sell? Saw a YouTube on it earlier today. Didn't look like much, but was definitely inexpensive.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm looking for suggestions for a durable holster to keep my Glock handy while working outside on the farm. I specifically want something OWB for a RH 6:00 placement that is snug to my side. And something that positively locks, requiring the finger button release.

I've got a couple paddle holsters that are OK, but they tilt the gun too far from my body to make it practical.

I'm not doing any heavy lifting, but if I'm handling hay or things like that, I don't want the gun out away from my body. Suggestions?

If its comfortable enough, then I will also wear it to town as either CC or OC as well.

Are you really looking for 6:00 position (i.e Small of the Back?) or are you looking for a 3:00 hip holster?

I'm strongly considering a Raven for an OWB holster. I use a Galco King Tuk currently for IWB and really like it.

Maxamillion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Glock combat sport holster

I bought two of the combat sport holsters for my g22 and my wifes g19 from Buds for $8.88 each when we first got our Glocks. They aren't going to impress anyone with ther looks but they have held up well to daily wear and tear so far.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep look at the Hooch. New they are about $50 and well made. Then spend a little money on a good belt. You won't be happy unless you use a good sturdy belt.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We can help you out if you don't need the finger release. Maybe something similar to this.
    cd1b689f.png

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    It was a long day today - thanks for catching another error. I did mean to say 3:00.

I did read the post before submitting, but probably should have waited to post another day.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Along with a good holster, OP, you should also look into investing in a good gun belt....

A good holster on a crappy Walmart belt isn't any better than a $5 nylon pouch holster on a crappy Walmart belt.

Remember: We're potentially talking about your life / well being and that of your family / friends.

A better combo would be a GOOD belt and an "iffy" holster rather than a good holster on an iffy belt.

-J-

RolandDeschain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Blackhawk Serpa has a finger release but has been blamed quite a bit lately for causing guns to fire a round when drawing. IMO I would blame partial user error but the jury is still split on the Serpa being both incredible and dangerous.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Blackhawk Serpa has a finger release but has been blamed quite a bit lately for causing guns to fire a round when drawing. IMO I would blame partial user error but the jury is still split on the Serpa being both incredible and dangerous.

Generally, the NDs caused are indeed user error. Not enough time practicing proper technique.

However, there are a few documented cases of these holsters physically breaking and not releasing the firearm without destructive force.

-J-

Top Bottom