www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What are the pros for a long slide 9mm?
    I know for a 10mm it definitely helps in velocity and energy.
    I don't think a 9mm would gain a whole lot extra velocity or energy.
    Here to learn.
    Is it for competition?
    There will be additional energy, just not sure how much. probably enough to be academic.
    I only know that the benefit stops in the neighborhood of 16 inches and friction starts to reduce it beyond that point.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What are the pros for a long slide 9mm?
    I know for a 10mm it definitely helps in velocity and energy.
    I don't think a 9mm would gain a whole lot extra velocity or energy.
    Here to learn.
    Is it for competition?

I think the gun won't appeal to most people, but for those that want the little extra weight and longer sight radius for competitions will find it desirable. It's not going to be a carry gun unless someone is just trying to play games and be a clown. For me the longer sight radius, and weight seem like it'd be worth consideration for the competitions I go to. The thing that makes me pause is that plastic piece in the slide nose. The plastic everywhere else is different because it's not taking a direct impact. I'd be willing to bet there will be aftermarket parts for that plastic piece coming out in a year or two.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How much are these going for retail?

If you are gonna run this gun with a red dot, does that make the additional sight radius irrelevant as far as accuracy? Understanding that the larger pistol's recoil impulse could be much more moderated on follow up shots?

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How much are these going for retail?

If you are gonna run this gun with a red dot, does that make the additional sight radius irrelevant as far as accuracy? Understanding that the larger pistol's recoil impulse could be much more moderated on follow up shots?
    I'm seeing them online for $725 - $750 before shipping/taxes/FFL. It'll probably be around $800+ by the time you get out the door.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I purchased the 17L I think at the end of 1989. mine has three holes in the original barrel but my barsto barrel does not. It was more expensive than the regular 17 but not by much. I think I purchased it at the Indy 1500 from Abro's gun before he had his shop on the south side. I think it was 35 more than the 17. Now finding a holster for it was harder so it still just has a thigh rig. Trigger seems better than most glocks but they say it was all the same. The Barsto is a supported chamber the orginal is not. Back then I did lots of reloading in 9mm and this was what you paid to use reloads in a perfect gun.

I shot some bullseye with it but shot others better and bullseye kind went away. I kind of put it away. It was my Glock and I had one. Others glocks came and went.

I tried the 22 the 21the 21 SF and the 20. NOne of them really tripped my trigger much and they all went away with the 21staying the longest because I put it in a SHTF box at the bottom and forgot where it was for a few years with a couple hundred rounds of 45 acp. I did really try to like the 21.

The 17L will never go now because the neighbors and I have decided glock mags and 9mm standard and 556 Ar's and mags are standard. So it kitted up with the MAG the long slide is tied on. The 17L is near perfect as a SHTF gun cause you are not going to conceal it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think the gun won't appeal to most people, but for those that want the little extra weight and longer sight radius for competitions will find it desirable. It's not going to be a carry gun unless someone is just trying to play games and be a clown. For me the longer sight radius, and weight seem like it'd be worth consideration for the competitions I go to. The thing that makes me pause is that plastic piece in the slide nose. The plastic everywhere else is different because it's not taking a direct impact. I'd be willing to bet there will be aftermarket parts for that plastic piece coming out in a year or two.
    I like the 5" 10mm over the 4"-4.5". I've been contemplating buying the Smith 10mm PC.
    That said I can see the appeal of a longer barrel handgun.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Son #1 in Virginia or West Virginia. Deer @ 50 yards. P80 B17L with Spinta Precision bull nose slide and Silencerco barrel.

This is my B17L. It’s on a "CL" frame with a “V2" frame along side. I now have a red dot on mine.

1719438067758.jpeg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Son #1 in Virginia or West Virginia. Deer @ 50 yards. P80 B17L with Spinta Precision bull nose slide and Silencerco barrel.

This is my B17L. It’s on a "CL" frame with a “V2" frame along side. I now have a red dot on mine.

View attachment 362002

I didn't know 9mm was legal to hunt deer in any state. It's as or more powerful than a few Indiana allows now. Off the top of my head 44 Special.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I didn't know 9mm was legal to hunt deer in any state. It's as or more powerful than a few Indiana allows now. Off the top of my head 44 Special.
    Virginia:

Rifles and pistols using centerfire ammunition (.23 caliber or LARGER); Pistols must generate at least 350 foot pounds of energy or greater​

• Deer: Yes
    • Bear: Yes
    • Elk: Yes
    • Fall Turkey: Yes
    • Spring Turkey: Yes

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It has never dawned on me that the 9mm would have more power than a 44 special. I had to look it up and went to Hornady's website. Sure enough comparing the Critical Defense ammo the 9mm beats out the 44 special. I never would have guessed that.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I enjoyed the 17L but I think 34 has a better balance in the hand. The length changed the recoil impulse a tiny bit and the sight radius didn't have a noticable impact on my accuracy. It also doesn't fit in the box for uspsa, or didn't at the time I decided to swap the 17L for a p320 when they first came out.

Top Bottom