• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    Looking for a new handgun for a range gun and home defense. I may also look for a CCW in the same manufacturer's line at a later time as I just got my concealed carry permit.

Considering the following in 9mm, fullsize frames:

1. Glock 17, Gen 4
    2. SA XDm, 4.5"
    3. S&W, M&P 9

I have a Beretta 926/92f (former Indiana State Police sidearm) for the past 12 years as a nightstand firearm and an occassional range shooter. It shoots smooth and true, so I am looking for something that shoots pretty much the same way. I have taken a friends 3rd Gen Glock 17 to the range and liked it pretty well. It had a little more muzzle flip than I am used to but it kept pretty tight grouping. I have no shooting experience with the M&P or XDm but they seemed to be the main competitors to the Glock 17.

Please share your wisdom ! :rockwoot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Looking for a new handgun for a range gun and home defense. I may also look for a CCW in the same manufacturer's line at a later time as I just got my concealed carry permit.

Considering the following in 9mm, fullsize frames:

1. Glock 17, Gen 4
    2. SA XDm, 4.5"
    3. S&W, M&P 9

I have a Beretta 926/92f (former Indiana State Police sidearm) for the past 12 years as a nightstand firearm and an occassional range shooter. It shoots smooth and true, so I am looking for something that shoots pretty much the same way. I have taken a friends 3rd Gen Glock 17 to the range and liked it pretty well. It had a little more muzzle flip than I am used to but it kept pretty tight grouping. I have no shooting experience with the M&P or XDm but they seemed to be the main competitors to the Glock 17.

Please share your wisdom ! :rockwoot:

i have a g17L and a xdm40. for what you are descriming id go with the g17. i have never held a m&p but of the 2 choices i have experiance with the glock would win

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I have shot all 3, and have to say that for me the M&P is the only one id buy. I just traded mine for a M&P pro, but the 9 is an amazing gun, and ill be buying another when I get a chance.

Its a gun that works for me, and there is no substitute for a gun that works. Handle em all, see what you like. If you buy a M&P and are not happy with it let me know because I want another. :)

I guess I should add that my M&P with 5inch storm-lake barrel was amazingly accurate, not hard to get a 17round mag into an area covered by your hand. At the same time my 19-5 can put 12rounds into a fist size target so........ (25yard target)

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You should shoot all 3 and pick the one that fits and feels the best.

Which I'm sure will be the M&P :D

But seriously, shoot them all first if you can.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You should shoot all 3 and pick the one that fits and feels the best.

Which I'm sure will be the M&P :D

But seriously, shoot them all first if you can.

Is there another place (besides Don's) in or close to Indianapolis where I can shoot guns prior to purchasing?

SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    I have shot all 3, and have to say that for me the M&P is the only one id buy. I just traded mine for a M&P pro, but the 9 is an amazing gun, and ill be buying another when I get a chance.

Its a gun that works for me, and there is no substitute for a gun that works. Handle em all, see what you like. If you buy a M&P and are not happy with it let me know because I want another. :)

I guess I should add that my M&P with 5inch storm-lake barrel was amazingly accurate, not hard to get a 17round mag into an area covered by your hand. At the same time my 19-5 can put 12rounds into a fist size target so........ (25yard target)

Have not heard of the M&P Pro. What are the differences/upgrades from the standard M&P 9?

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Have not heard of the M&P Pro. What are the differences/upgrades from the standard M&P 9?

5inch slide, target sites, and factory trigger job. More of a range gun instead of a carry piece but a fine weapon at that.

28587_406218221600_581381600_4576190_2934118_n.jpg

SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    Is there another place (besides Don's) in or close to Indianapolis where I can shoot guns prior to purchasing?

I too would like to know if any Indy area gunshops/ranges would have all three in stock and able to shoot. I know Pop Guns on the eastside of Indy only has the Glock 17, they carry the M&P but you cannot test it at their range.

Thanks! :ingo:

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    I'm also an M&P guy, just picked up the full size M&P today because I love my M&P compact so much. I've put my compact up against a G19 and a Sig 250 and the M&P won by a considerable margin. I know the full size will probably be even better. As for the question about the Pro, 22lr can fill you in on the details but it essentially bridges the gap between the standard M&P and a totally modded out Smith and Wesson Performance Center firearm.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Cant go wrong with any of the ones you listed. All are great, just personal prefference. I personally prefer Glock, but all of the ones on your list are great guns. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have tried a LOT of guns, including Glocks, XD's, Sigs, Walthers, etc. and none have replaced my M&P 9c as my everyday carry. The 9c is an amazing pistol IMO. Great size, capacity, reliability, and accuracy.

SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    I have tried a LOT of guns, including Glocks, XD's, Sigs, Walthers, etc. and none have replaced my M&P 9c as my everyday carry. The 9c is an amazing pistol IMO. Great size, capacity, reliability, and accuracy.

Suprisingly, lots of M&P love ( I assumed it would be all Glock recommendations... )

Keep the feedback coming!

Cheers! :D

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Looking for a new handgun for a range gun and home defense. I may also look for a CCW in the same manufacturer's line at a later time as I just got my concealed/ open* carry permit.

Corrected it for ya...:D

On those three choices I have shot and handled all three of them and after shooting the m&p 9 (a fellow ingo member let me shoot his) I must say it feels better than the glocks In my hand. So I think I would have to go with the the majority and say I like the M&P feel, the G17 and XD are still quality pistols for the price really can't go wrong with a one of them. There has been a billion of these threads and everybody's main answer is just feel which one molds to your hand the best. also Welcome to ingo! :ingo:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I also have the m&p pro

They are amazing guns! Though I'm still trying to get used to mine... If you are in the Fort Wayne region, get a hold of Ranger Supply Co, they were able to get a pair of them for us for 625$ a piece!

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

wolfy25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Indy
    Why not stay with the hammer fired guns since your used to them? (Sigs, CZ's, HK's)

But given the choices, I would go with the m&p or the glock whichever one works best for you.

Top Bottom