• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Stereotypes are not always correct, and being removed from your comfort zone is inherently uncomfortable.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Help for Out of Gas...

A good story, and while I find myself doing the same sort of thing, the saying, "don't do anything armed that you wouldn't do unarmed," certainly comes to mind.

^^^GREAT Quote-Rep Inbound..

Silly questions;
    How many folks carry a gas can in their car?
    How odd is it to run out of gas (especially with no $ in pocket,) after midnight?
    Don't today's vehicles burn up fuel pumps when they run out of gas?

Not Silly-Just Kids..
    The Wife+I put FOUR Kids through College=THIS is NORMAL!!
    Fuel pumps DO go out after constant low/empty run. The fuel lubes/cools the pump.

Why not just take the can and buy him a gallon of fuel?

^^^BINGO--We have a WINNER!!!Bill.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My work used to take me into these areas on a regular basis. All hours of the day and night. I do HVAC and refer. work so 24 hr. convenient stores were a regular after hours (dark) destination. I never went un-armed and can not relate the true number of times I have had my gun in hand either still holstered or drawn. Had to point it in anger more than once. I never let anyone inside my defense zone. That said, I would have taken his can and got him some gas.
    My son in law to be is a young black man and he does not trust anybody after dark. He is more critical than I am of people he does not know and I trust no one. It is a truly silly world and that makes it hard to help someone in trouble.
    +1 to you OP.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    You guys are right that it would be safer for me to have taken the can to get him some gas. The problem was that his car was not in a good place. He had his flashers on but that ramp from 70E to Meridian is rather constricted and I was afraid some drunk might come along and rear-end his car with him in it. I had this happen to me at an accident scene once. Fortunately I got everyone out of the car. I am all for getting people away from vehicles that could be potentially hit.

The kid probably weighed around 175 pounds and I am fairly large at 6'2 300 lbs.

I do some homeless outreach work with my church. We serve people in the area so I was not completely unfamiliar with the area or it's people. I was explaining this to the kid and he told me that he was homeless for a while, living in his car for a while. He said he wanted to gather up some blankets to hand out. I gave him my phone number and told him that if he got some blankets together, I would take him with our group to some homeless camps and hand them out.

I do think God had a hand in this. I hope the kid calls me and we can go do some good together.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Great read, and glad it all worked out. I see people stopped on the road all the time, but I have only pulled over once, and that was because he was not near his vehicle,it was late at night, and he was walking. It turns out he dropped his wallet earlier that day, and was looking for it with a flashlight and didn't need any help finding it because he wasn't entirely sure where he dropped it.

Well being from the East Bay and being white, I was severely in the minority. A lot of the "stereotypical" attire you might see in Downtown Indianapolis, is all over CA and is completely normal for any race/ethnicity. It's a very diverse area. I'm sure that people who run out of gas, or break down, are just as nervous getting into a car with YOU, as you are with letting them in your car. I have never felt uncomfortable in Indy day or night, and don't know how the crime rate compares in Indy, and the East Bay, but I can see how being armed can lead you out of your comfort zone. One thing I have noticed is that gang activity and drugs are not as rampant in Indy as it is out there, or if it is, I just don't see it. But seeing posts on here, it sounds like Indy isn't that safe of a place, and I shouldn't be as comfortable. But at least you can walk down the street here and not see a big group of people hooting a hollering at you for being white, acting like they are going to attack you, but are just having fun in their own way I guess.

I would not have left him on the highway either, as it is a dangerous place. Like the OP mentioned, a neighbor of mine had a flat late at night on the freeway, and a drunk driver thought his flashing lights were a Freeway EXIT, and smashed right into him. He had just taken off his seat belt. He is in his 30's and acts much younger, doesn't have the best reasoning skills either (stealing, shop lifting, dangerous stunts, etc, this is a result of the brain damage from the accident. Still lives at home, with mom, just got a job last year. Rides a moped.

I don't trust anyone with a sign. There are many people in CA that have signs asking for money, with the sole purpose of getting money for beer. One guy was even honest and his sign said NEED MONEY FOR ALCOHOL RESEARCH. If they can sit there all day with a sign, which takes a heck of a lot of patience, and nerves, they can get a job in fast food, convenience store, etc. I have heard that some of the people who say they want to work for food, are really trying to get into your house/garage/tool shed/etc and steal stuff, might have been why he threw the food back at your wife, wasn't really all that hungry.

People in Indy need to get more creative, in SF there is this one guy that will take money for a hit, not as in killing someone, but "scaring them". Or he will scare you, expecting money. I have given money to him numerous times. Once I was walking by a trashcan, and there was a bush next to it, looked natural. It was really HIM holding a bunch of branches, and he jumped up, screaming and waving them. Scared me good.

Last edited:

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    From experience I can almost gaurantee he knew you were armed or otherwise ready to defend yourself, he probably did need gas, this fact alone does not guarantee you would not have been a victim. Most streetwise youngsters have a 6th sense just like country boys do about the outdoors!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP glad it worked out. I don't know if I would have done the same. This coming from a black guy (for those that know me ...yes I'm black today ... I get to chose)

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Years ago before concealed carry, I witnessed a single car wreck in the middle of nowhere out west. The driver was a woman on her own. I was not the only one to stop, as a weird dude also did so a few minutes later who was clearly checking out the situation to see if he could take advantage of it. Literally, I recall this creepy feeling seeing him. Well fortunately the woman's car was drivable, so I told her to get back into her car ASAP and take off, and I'd follow her to make sure she made it to the next town.

I did have a gun in my car, but back then it was unloaded and locked in the trunk (just like a good victim :rolleyes:). So I know what you mean about having that security blanket so to speak. Thinking back to that event I was in, I hate traveling without my own security blanket. I limit traveling through states that don't accept our IN permit!

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out and thanks for sharing your story.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I used to work for AAA, so am trained in car UNlocks... I have stopped in a gas station, to get a Coke, and have seen people trying to get into their running car, with a coat hangar, or whatever. I walk up, and say can I help? They always say yes, and I tell them I have the "proper tools" to enter their car, with little or no damage. They always say thank YOU, and have a smile on their face when they leave .....

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    When I told him he was fortunate to have the gas can, he told me that his gas gage was not working properly and he usually could not fill up his tank so he had to guess a lot. Not the first time he ran out of gas.

I also carry a gas can all the time in my truck. It's one of the Dodge Dakotas with the failed gas gauge but gas light still works. The gas light still works but is becoming increasingly more unreliable. In the event I run out, I would just use what's in my gas can (cuz I keep a 2 gallon can full :D )

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Thanks for sharing. I don't see anything racist about it. You went out of your way for a stranger in need despite the potential for bad stuff that's always out there. I don't think the precaution of being armed would have changed if the stranger had been white. A racist man would have kept on going, and not stopped to help him. Don't need to convince a reasonable person of the difference between racist and street smart. Big difference for sure.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Glad you helped him out, I try to do the same for People when possible. Especially in the winter time where someone on a lonely road could freeze to death without help not o mention you never can tell when that stranded person has their young child with them. it could sometimes be dangerous but everyone deserves help every now and then.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Well as the good book says, "Perfect love casteth out fear."
    I would consider that to be really good advice. I am a Christian and sometimes feel that the Good Lord puts me in situations where I have the opportunity to do good, even if that is not the easiest path. I wold not what to live in a world where nobody would be willing to help each other out.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Back when I was in high school, in Iowa, a friend of mine stopped to help an older gentleman that was having car trouble. Bob (my friend) asked him if he needed a ride. the fellow pulled a shotgun on bob, and kidnapped him. Bob finally escaped the fellow in southern Missouri, by climbing out of a restroom window after they had stopped for gas. And he ended up testifying against the guy.

Since that day, I am very wary of helping out folks. I still do it on occasion, but only if they look harmless and I am armed.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Back when I was in high school, in Iowa, a friend of mine stopped to help an older gentleman that was having car trouble. Bob (my friend) asked him if he needed a ride. the fellow pulled a shotgun on bob, and kidnapped him. Bob finally escaped the fellow in southern Missouri, by climbing out of a restroom window after they had stopped for gas. And he ended up testifying against the guy.

Since that day, I am very wary of helping out folks. I still do it on occasion, but only if they look harmless and I am armed.

Not to knock your story, and I am glad things turned out well, but I bet it would have been a lot different if Bob would have had a pistol, or even a knife and knew how to use it well. That kid could have tried something on me and it would have been the last thing he did. As it turned out, he was a nice respectful kid who appreciated the help. But you never know. Bad things happen. We all put ourselves at risk every time we go to a bank, pharmacy, or gas station these days. That is why I don't even put my pants on without a pistol in the pocket.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm glad you were able to help this young man and that you didn't have to use your weapon in self defense.

However, is it really wise to pick up a hitch hiker? I understand the desire to help people out and so forth, but consider that when you pull over to help someone on the side of the road you don't know anything about that person(s). The police have the advantage of running license plate numbers to check for prior criminal history, arrest warrants and so forth. The good samaritan doesn't.

Top Bottom