Giving some serious thought about buying a suppressor.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Was at 21st century yesterday and was looking at various suppressors that were on display and saw a couple made by Huntertown arms. More specifically the Guardian line. I then found out they have 9mm cans that run about $349. I am tempted just from the price alone, and what little I found out about them online they seem to be nice suppressors, but I do have some questions that couldn't be answered on google.

First I noticed the suppressor comes with a booster, the pistol I would be planning on adding the can too would be a Beretta 92FS. Now I would like to know would I need the booster or can I have just have the factory barrel threaded and it mount directly to it? I saw the suppressor has a 1-2x28 thread and i found a company that does barrel threading for Berettas to the same specs. Basically if i get said barrel threaded will the suppressor screw right on or would I need any kind of booster?

Also is there a noticeable difference firing with sub sonic compared to standard loads? I watched a couple vids on youtube with the Guardian 9 and with standard ammo the sonic crack is still heard but the gun shot was muffled. With sub sonic would it be more of a "pew pew" that everyone thinks of with suppressors or is that more or less when the suppressor is wet.

Speaking of wet, can I use rem oil or CLP? Or just water? How many shots can you expect from a wet can before it goes back to being dry?

I am a suppressor newb so i would like to get as much info as I can regarding suppressors before I make up my mind to committing to something like this.

P.S: Anyone got pics of a Guardian 9 mounted on a host pistol? :D

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    100_0183.jpg

Not my gun, but from this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/213059-guardian_9_is_here.html

I am interested in some of the other questions you asked though so I am posting to tag for more info too!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    you should not need the booster on a Beretta.

9mm subsonic is very, very quiet. Supersonic, not so much.

Shooting wet you really only need to use water but other things with high flashpoints can be used, though it is messy. When shooting wet you get 5 or so shots before you need to re-apply the wetting agent.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I shoot any my .45 can wet. Instead of water, I use wire pulling gel (easily found at any home improvement store in the electical section). It seems to make less of a mess, doesn't blow back into my face like water will once the handgun gets dirty, and lasts a little longer. I can usually get between 15-20 rounds of .45 downrange before I need to recharge the can.:twocents:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The booster is on the back of the can to help functioning of a semi auto pistol. Like VUPD said above, you should not need it on the Beretta due to its barrel locking system. So, you will need a fixed barrel mount. Yes, most 9mm cans are set up for 1/2-28 threads. Also the beretta is about the only pistol that has enough exposed barrel to thread. Most guns need a new, extended and threaded barrel, so another bonus for the Beretta!

Subsonic ammo is definitely reccomended for any suppressor; much quieter!

Some cans are designed to be shot wet and most all can be shot that way. Brooks from Thompson Machine says he just locks his slide back and dunks the can in a bottle of water. Give is a shake or two and fire away. I have heard of guys using oil or grease to last longer than water. I've shot rem oil, clp, and Mobil 1 in my .22 can. The Mobil 1 was pretty stinky !

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    What does the fixed barrel mount look like? I assume that would be another part I would have to get besides having my Beretta's barrel threaded? As for sub sonic ammo can I just use 9mm FMJ in 147 grains? Whenever I think "Sub Sonic" I picture it's some kinda exotic type of ammo...lol

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The fixed barrel mount replaces the booster. Looks like thiamin a Multimount:

Threaded Rear Mounts

As far as subsonic, yes; 147gr ammo is subsonic. I just got an email from Sportsman's Guide that had Federal 147jhp for a reasonable price. I'm working on a handload that will give 100% cycling but still be subsonic. Mine are nice and quiet but want to stovepipe in my SBR'ed Uzi.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've shot my Beretta 92 with my subgun 9mm can (no booster) and it won't cycle. Neither will my Glock 17 (but that's obvious). In fact the only pistol I have that will cycle with that can on it is suprisingly my Sig Mosquito .22 (though it's a unwieldy beast with the can on).

I plan on getting a Huntertown Guardian 9 for my pistols before too long, assuming I can ever find someone that has one.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    For the 92 to cycle with out booster the can needs to be very light weight. My will not cycle with out booster I have a yhm cobra m2

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom