• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I'm gonna get disagreed with on this but heck, try a HiPoint C-9. Not near as snappy as the KelTec pistols. Much more fun to shoot. I'll bet you can get one for less than $200.00. No frills at all, just a good basic handgun.

They go bang every time and if she's not gonna carry it...... They're pretty bulky... They aren't the prettiest guns in the world, but really hard to beat for reliability and customer service if needed.

Have her check to see if she can rack the slide all the way. There's a break point there that she needs to hit for the gun to cock.

The Mak is also a good choice when you can find one, and the dang ammo can be rough to find from time to time.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Sig P6 for under $300 including shipping and transfer fee. I have put almost 300 rounds through mine now and love it. Gun is 25 years old and still problem free. Only thing is that the sights need adjusted, but the tool is $150.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Sig P6 for under $300 including shipping and transfer fee. I have put almost 300 rounds through mine now and love it. Gun is 25 years old and still problem free. Only thing is that the sights need adjusted, but the tool is $150.
    I'll :+1: the P6. I really enjoyed ours while we had it. :)

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I used to have a Star 9mm It functioned well and was fairly accurate. Not a bad pistol for around 260 bones. That is if ya can find one. However That's not a brand I would normally recommend. I would tend to agree with Soundslikejosh. If shes new to shooting a .22cal would be a smart choice. I really like the Ruger mark 2 and you can usually find them used for between 225 and 275 bones...JC

BennyBlown2v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    You need to explain that her life might be worth more than $300.

I got my daughter a Sig P239 for her birthday a couple of years ago. She can knock a fly out at 15 yards and fully take out the center of a target at 25 yards. Not to mention Sig's to hell and back reliability. It was worth the $500 I spent to know that she can protect herself in the event the unthinkable happens.

Nice! How old's your daughter? :shady::alcoholic:

I like G19 idea, but you won't be able to find one that cheap - Bersa 380 has come highly reccomended to me by friends and family, but I've yet to shoot one personally. They do handle great though! A P6 would be a nice cheap alternative to a more expensive newer Sig, and they shoot great from what I've seen :)

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    My wife's carry piece is an all nickel Bersa .380. It is very light and recoil is no problem. They also make it in a 9mm and it should still be right around $300. I picked up the .380 for about $260 at a 1500 from Plainfield Shooting Supplies. I added the rubberized grips and that really improves the feel of the gun. The magazines are not cheap though, about $35 and the gun comes with 1 only.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A girl I know is looking to buy a gun. She's got a budget of about $300. Her ex boyfriend taught her to shoot, she dumped him but loves to shoot. She wants something that will have less recoil than a 45.

She asked for my advice and frankly I don't know much about low priced guns or guns that don't fire 45acp. So I need advice from you folks.

What say you? Please give me
    1) a recommendation,
    2) a realistic price, and
    3) a reason why you are providing the recommendation.
    She asked me to go to a gun shop with her to make sure she is not talked into something silly.

What ever Glock fits her hand in 9mm. I think my wife got a 19.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My first recommendation is read this thread

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/8069-wifey_wants_her_own.html

Next would be unless she is looking for a serious self defense tool, you’re best recommendation is probably one of the plethora of nice 22’s out there. They’re cheap to shoot, easy to maintain, fun to shoot, and a good learning tool for someone who needs to start from the ground up.

The 300 dollar budget is a real clamp for most of the decent defensive guns. The Bersa is a decent 380, and would probably be one of the few that fit her price point. I would caution you, recoil can be a little snappy for a small individual since it is a small frame gun. Additionally, they suffer from a lot of the same problems the PPK does with small sights, not always a great trigger, and they can also cause slide bite if you’re not careful.

The Little Walther P22 seems to be a real popular 22 right now. There’s even some good leather and kydex gear out there so you can train with it. That’s probably where I’d point her if it was me.

Tinman....

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I got my sig P6 or 225 at Gander Mountain for 325 and tax, single stack 9mm goodness, If you sweet talked a good dealer letteing him know it will be for a girl he may be willing / able to find one for around 300 otd. I love that gun and it just got cycled out of the carry routine for my new glock 19, If it could be arranged I could dust it off and give her some range time with it unless you have one yourself

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN

Step one vice
    step two piece of leather
    step three sanwich slid in vice betweem piece of leather and vice face
    step four take a hammer and brass punch and lightly tap the sight sthe desired direction,

painstaking yes, cheap and the satisfaction of doing it yourself= pricesless

again I love my P6

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Full size or concealable? Revolvers are a common recommendation for females.

but,

Bang for the buck, and at $300. or less.

Fullsize I would recomend a Ruger P89 9mm or similar.. Was my first pistol purchase, all ways goes bang and purty accurate..

Concealable I would recomend a Bersa .380.. Cheap, always goes bang, eats most anything.. Plenty accurate enough for a little gun..

my :twocents: and that is all..

I'd second the .380, it's a nice gun. I love mine.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As stated earlier, at the $300 price point, look out for a S&W Model 10 K-Frame. Usually real plentiful, real cheap, and real reliable. Having said that, deals can be had on G19's. I recently picked up a 2nd Gen 19 for $350. Glocks are VERY user friendly for new shooters to shoot well. Although I hate everything about Ruger, the P series in 9mm are plentiful and cheap as well.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I agree with the Hi Point. She can pick up a new one for less than $150, and they have a lifetime warranty that is actually honored. I wouldn't recommend it as a carry gun, but for an inexpensive range gun they work well.

With the extra money, she could get plenty of ammo. :D

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For the size, weight, and price, I will vote for the Bersa 380 Conceal Carry. It carries one more round than the Bersa Thunder 380 and is comfortable to hold and shoot. I picked mine up for under $300. I also picked up a full size Bersa 9mm for $309 and it is as much fun to shoot as my Beretta 92FS and holds 2 more rounds.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    For the size, weight, and price, I will vote for the Bersa 380 Conceal Carry. It carries one more round than the Bersa Thunder 380 and is comfortable to hold and shoot. I picked mine up for under $300. I also picked up a full size Bersa 9mm for $309 and it is as much fun to shoot as my Beretta 92FS and holds 2 more rounds.

I'll agree that the 9 is nice too.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Not to be overly critical but .380? How often do you have the chance to shoot naked people?

Number 1 killer in the u.s. most years is a .22...

And I'm going out shooting on some private property later this month most likely... we plan on making poor-man's ballistic gel (stuff a trashcan full of wet newspaper and let it set over night)... if I remember to I'll put some of my .380 carry rounds into some of it. A few layers of clothing isn't magical... the slug isn't going to bounce off of you like you are superman... it's going to penetrate, and it's going to do some nasty damage... multiply that by several rounds and that target isn't going to be much of a threat, if any.

You don't need some big bad bullet to kill someone. A tiny one will do just fine.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Step one vice
    step two piece of leather
    step three sanwich slid in vice betweem piece of leather and vice face
    step four take a hammer and brass punch and lightly tap the sight sthe desired direction,

painstaking yes, cheap and the satisfaction of doing it yourself= pricesless

again I love my P6

I dont even have a vice :dunno: I might have to try that at a friends house next time im over there.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    a whole lot cheaper than the tool, albeit less precise, and a bit slower to dial in, but for a carry gun with non adjustable sigts its the way to go IMHO, Also works if you want to insatal nightsights just make sure the front sight isn't threaded in .

Top Bottom