• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was referencing an old Army cadence that went GI beans and GI gravy, Gee I wished I'd joined the Navy.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Gee I'm glad I DIDN'T join the Navy.

Warship vs. Big Waves. [VIDEO]

How noticeable would waves like that be on a carrier?
    That was nifty! As for how noticeable it would be on a carrier....not at all. I got to go out an visit the Eisenhower when I lived in Israel, (their Exec was an old family friend). It was a mildly stormy night and we had to take the whale boats out to the Ike. Lots of waves and more than a few people losing their lunch on the way out (and back). When we got on board it was like standing on shore. No movement whatsoever. We were told that you could be on the Ike in the middle of a hurricane and, if you were below decks, you'd never know it was going on. That impressed the hell outta me.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    While in the Army I crossed the Pacific twice on troop transports. It was a very unpleasant experience. Those Navy guys have my respect and I thank God I went Army.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    While in the Army I crossed the Pacific twice on troop transports. It was a very unpleasant experience. Those Navy guys have my respect and I thank God I went Army.

August of 1966, I spent 21 days on the USNS Hugh J Gaffey, a troop ship bound for Beautiful Southeast Asia. The ship was manned by the Merchant Marines. Most of the time the waves were 3-4 feet high, a bit 'choppy' they said. Two days, and not two days in a row, the Pacific was like a big blue piece of glass, not even a ripple in sight. The Gaffey was still rocking, but from side to side. The only way you could tell how much it was moving, was by lining up the rail with the horizon.

We landed in Okinawa and spent the night in port. Within 36 hours after we sailed, we ran into the tail end of a tyhoon. The above film clip reminds me of that day. Big, and I do mean BIG f***ing waves like you'd see in a movie. The ship's crew said we were barely making headway that day. Prior to this, we were doing 23-25 knots per hour, a pretty good clip.

When asked to describe the ride, I tell people to "...imagine riding a three or four story elevator ALL DAY LONG!" Going up and down the ladder wells was an experience. If the ship was dropping off a wave, you had trouble reaching the next step down. But, if the Gaffey was coming up the face of a wave, you had to RUN on the steps as they were coming up to meet you.

I've called the day a "Grey-out". The sky was grey (but no rain), the Pacific was grey, the Gaffey was grey, and I saw several grey faces that day. If you were up on the main deck, in the fresh air, much unlike the air below decks, the crew had put up rope storm lines to hold onto while trying to walk around.

Once, about four of us were holding on to a rope that kept us from getting clear up to the point of the bow. Of course, this close to the front of the ship, we were taking quite the ride up and down over the waves. We came over the top of a big one and dropped into the trough before the next wave. I looked up and can swear there was a 20 foot wall of water above our heads! YIKES! You couldn't have pried my hands off that rope with anything. Luckily the bow caught the face of the wave and the water broke just below the level of the deck we were standing on.

The people that had the easiest jobs that day were the cooks. For some unknown reason, not many people had much of an appetite!

I too am glad I didn't join the Navy. One trip like that was more than enough for me!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Gee I'm glad I DIDN'T join the Navy.

Warship vs. Big Waves. [VIDEO]

How noticeable would waves like that be on a carrier?
    I was stationed on the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN71) and attached to the USS Enterprise (CVN65) while I was in (1994-98). You have to remember the carriers are around 1100ft long. The ship in the video was probably around 300ft long. The draft alone on a carried is almost 40ft. Walking around on a carrier for the most part feels like you are in a huge warehouse. On the way back from the med in Sept 1995 we did have to follow a hurricane back to the U.S. and that was the only real time I remember the Roosevelt rockin and a rollin. Half the ship was sea sick. Once you puked you were good to go and then could go eat usually all you want then. It wasnt the most fun in the world, but it was kinda funny seeing EVERY rank and gender green in the face! :laugh:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I have a major phobia about the ocean having been in the middle of it with nothing but miles of blackness beneath me. I spent a month on the USS Denver over the Dragons triangle in hurricanes locked in that tin can. The ship just goes down and down and down that wave and you're wondering if it's just gonna keep going down. One night during helo ops, a 46 lifted off the deck in high seas and flipped upside down over the side. 22 went in the drink, 8 were saved. Sgt Rodriquez, one of my mentors at the time, survived by being thrown out of the helo when it cracked in half from the torque of the blades hitting the waves. The helo and the 14 went to the bottom 2 miles down. When daylight broke, all that was found beyond having saved 8 was a cracked pilots helmet and some remains that had been chewed up by sharks.

I watched it happen through the rope rooms portal which was adjacent to our quarters. General quarters was in effect, so no one but required personnel were allowed above deck.

14 Marines Missing in 2nd CH-46 Copter Crash in 4 Days - Los Angeles Times

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I really can't relate.
    The ocean is dead calm below 400 feet.

Yes. But we had to surface twice during this crap. (USS John Marshall).
    Submarines "bob" on the surface. They are in their element BELOW.
    ABOVE, and it's worse than this video. Green water washing over the extended periscope (while on surface).
    45 degree rolls threw crewmembers out of their bunks injuring a few.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Meh, that ain't nothing compared to the guys on the Time Bandit and Northwestern. :D

I asked my father, who spent 20 years running steam boilers in the Navy on oilers as part of the Atlantic fleet, if he'd ride on those boats in that kind of weather. His response: "There is not a single thing in this world that would compel me to ride on any boat in that kind of weather. No amount of money, wealth, or power."

But he did tell me a story of a reservist who worked in his department during his last deployment before retirement. When he'd come on board for his weekend a month, during short trips out of Sandy Hook he'd get down on the keel of the boat, and do sit ups and curls with spare sections of drive shafts. Said it kept his mind off the motion of the boat. Dad also said the guy was built like a brick sh*t house, but didn't like the motion of the boat.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Imagine how early seafarers coped. Its not too many generations ago guys were out in that with wooden sail boats.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    yep, it's frightening to imagine what they must have gone through. Some people can handle it though. My dad sailed ALL the time. He would take me out in the Gulf and I hated it, got sick, cowered inside the cabin. He never empathized until he got stuck out in a storm after drinking quite a bit and couldnt stop throwing up from his sea sickness. Years later he was practically in tears apologizing.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Been on the water most of my life sailing big waves dont bother me a bit. Did get stuck in one hell of a storm on a cruise ship......i was beyond drunk then the boat bobbing on top of that woooooo boy was that fun......had a lot of absinthe that night :)

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    My GF still makes fun of me about the time we went para-sailing in the Bahamas. We were maybe 500 feet from the shoreline, boat was motionless, about 5 other people waiting to go up and I'm yacking over the side. HAHAHA, I felt bad for ruining their experience. THEN, we went ahead and went up (I wasn't backing down) since it was a dual seater. So we get all the way up there and I could still feel the boat bobbing up and down through the 200 or so feet of tether. My worst fear then was yacking again and raining a putrid mist down on everybody. I held strong though. :laugh:

Top Bottom