• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Hey guys. Quick guide on making a ghillie veil.

Milspec boonie
    Nylon net
    Heavy duty thread
    100-300 feet 550 para
    2-3 bundles of jute.

Start off with a good milspec boonie. Make sure it’s the right cotton/poly blend milspec material. Next you will take some nylon netting and stretch over the boonie and temporarily secure with small zip ties.

Netting temporary held with zip ties:
    IMG_9338.jpeg

You want the netting kind of loose. Don’t worry too much what it looks like. It will have to be bunched up on the front and back, and that’s fine. You can sew the net on top of itself in some places and you will have to because of shape of the hat. Leave extra netting hanging just off the hat all the way around the rim.

Next you need to sew the net every one or two cross sections. You can add a dot of glue on the knot to keep it from fraying/untying.

B3BAE5F6-A3B8-4EF4-8EF8-3702ABEE9435.jpeg

Take your time and take care to secure the netting.

IMG_9343.jpeg

Sew the netting all over the top of the hat except the front sun bill.

As shown below, for the front of the hat sew a line of netting but don’t sew the netting to the front edge of the hat. This will give you some netting to secure jute and 550 para that can be flipped back over to get it back on top of the veil rather than on the shooters face.
    image.jpg

Prepping you 550:

You need 100-300 feet of 550 (nylon) para cord. Cut to 14-36 inch lengths and remove the “guts” strands inside and save or discard them.
    IMG_9089.jpeg

Fray the edges and then use a lighter to heat the nylon 2-3 inches from the frayed end and then pinch with pliers.
    IMG_9088.jpeg

Start adding camo colored jute and 550 para.

Use only 5-7 individual jute strands per square side of netting and start from the bottom. Remember the jute strands double when you loop them and pull them down to secure them. So 5-7 strands ends up 10-14

The you can start to add the 550 for vegetation ties:
    IMG_9394.jpeg

See below how I have a small triangle of netting that hangs off the back and allows me to tie jute and 550:
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      713.5 KB · Views: 3

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Placeholder.

Note this design is adapted to be more hunting oriented. I favor more jute than some who use more vegetation tie downs.

Adapt to your needs.

Original guide:

JoeSig

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2024
    DeMotte, IN
    I was literally getting a list together today to get back into ghillies! Definitely book marking this one. Nice write up. I've done a few in the past but sold them when I was living in Phoenix, not much use for a ghillie there.

Where do you like to buy your jute? I'm going to be doing a boonie like yours here, a jacket, two rifle kits and the back half of a pair of combat pants.

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I was literally getting a list together today to get back into ghillies! Definitely book marking this one. Nice write up. I've done a few in the past but sold them when I was living in Phoenix, not much use for a ghillie there.

Where do you like to buy your jute? I'm going to be doing a boonie like yours here, a jacket, two rifle kits and the back half of a pair of combat pants.

I bought the jute from Arcturus in a bundle with the net and I’m happy. I used way more tan than I thought. Luckily their “dry grass” color is almost all tan (it’s tan with a few olive strands) so I have plenty.

The dark brown, as you can see below, has a little shine. It catches the light a little. But I still like it. I bought black. Stupid. Don’t buy black jute. Black sounds cool and good in your head but it contrasts so much that even in shadow it’s probably to dark for daytime, whereas at night tan works just fine.

I also got some 1000d multicam canvas to do a blouse from camofabricdepot.

image.jpg
    I bought 550 para from Home Depot and the “camo” pattern in the 550 para sheath actually sticks out because it’s a consistent pattern. Real nylon 550 is surprisingly hard to find cheap.

So yeah solid color para is all I have left to buy.

I will say I didn’t cheap out and it’s extremely satisfying. I probably have $130 in just jute, net, para, thread, and canvas.

It takes a long time to sew and when you’re done it feels really solid and satisfying. The more sewing the better. If I had time to sew every net cross section, I would.

And I bought new civ camies pre treated with permethrin. I was surprised to find the blouse has a zipper because I was in the Navy. I might have two or three buttons added because I don’t like the idea of just a zipper. What do you think about a zipper on a Ghillie? I thought I would add a button above and below zipper plus a third button to button collar around the neck.

I was actually shocked to find a modern military camo using a zipper and now I know I’m just a dinosaur.

Top Bottom