• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    How do they do that!!! I would lose mine in the first ten feet.

Watch them and you'll see they almost always have a hand on their gun when running to keep it in place. Some will even do this while just walking around. Real "secure" method of carry. ;)

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Occasionally, I will Ghetto Carry. I believe it is also known as Mexican Carry.

I Mexican Carry when I am carrying my Glock 17 concealed and I am just running to the store or something. I do this with the Glock because it is a full frame pistol and I am a tall and skinny dude. On me, the Glock 17 in an IWB is uncomfortable because no matter what, I look like I have a tumor on my hip and it just makes my jeans feel REALLY tight around my waist. But, I only do this style carry when I have no round chambered. I don't have any children (that I know of), but I want some in the future.

I also Mexican Carry when I am going to a taco stand or visiting my future in-laws in East Chicago. I just want to blend into the neighborhood. I recommend Mexican Carry if you are going to a Mexican neighborhood and I believe it is most effective if you are playing some Vicente Fernandez music really loud and are also carrying a bottle of tequila or a six pack of Modelo. You will then be referred to as Paisano or Cabron.

But, normally, I carry a 1911 (thinner frame) in an IWB in behind my hip.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have done it is with my Smith j-frame. the trigger pull is so damn heavy i dont have to worry about it going off in my pocket. i have also done it with my Beretta .22 as well (DA with manual safety). any of my other semis ride in a holster.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Mexican or Ghetto or holster-less carry was invented by criminals for one reason: to quickly and effectively divorce oneself from an illegally-carried handgun as quickly as possible. Kinda hard when you toss the gun, the cops catch up to you, and they find your holster still stuck in your pants, eh?

Lucky for us LTCH holders, we don't have to worry about that. We are afforded the safety and security of being able to use a holster.

I actually carried in this fashion when I was a noob to carrying. I had a DAO Taurus PT140 MilPro with a Clipdraw. It was certainly comfortable, but not stable for any movement beyond walking. Not to mention dangerous.

But, if someone has reason to always carry in this method, I would most certainly recommend at least a VanGuard by Raven:

VanGuard1.JPG

The Malabar Front

Last edited:

66MustangCvt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    South-East Indy
    Not to hijack this thread, but a question to go along with ghetto carry.

What the heck to the gangsters think when they fire their handgun in a sideways position with the ejected shells flying upwards?

I am courious, because I have never heard a good answer and I don't know any gangsters to ask. Someone one this Forum may know. Do you LEOs know why?

good marketing plan?
    sideways_gun_sight.jpg

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Sometimes I will just stick it in my waistband if I am just out feeding the horse or something. Don't really consider it a way I would be comfortable carrying all the time.

I don't know it for a fact but I think that sideways shooting is more of a Hollywood thing or at least started out that way. Just for fun one day I tried it.....what a laugh!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've been trained similarly. However, I have not been trained to tilt my arm entirely sideways, as most people who are trained to throw a punch would. However, the proper way, as I've learned it, is to hold out your arm in a natural position, fingers loosely balled. You usually end at a 45 degree tilt, and that's the proper position to fire a pistol one-handed. I think Hollywood just over-played it and tilted all the way, ridiculous--I know.

Reminds me of this. . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJ9doDW-Bo&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Tactical Response Logo Explanation[/ame]

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    I tried it and it felt sloppy to me. I don't want mine moving at all. Maybe I'll try it with a different size piece. Interesting question...now you've got me thinkin'

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I use to carry my ruger in my waist band near the small my back and always thought it was comfortable. it was my first carry gun and I couldnt find a holster that I liked. one day I went into a store and came back opened my truck door and my pistol was laying in my truck seat:noway:got so use to carrying it like that I didnt even notice it was missing while walking around the store so who's to say I wouldnt drop it and never know unless I heard it fall?...decided then that I needed to change the way I carry.

Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    No ghetto carry for me. Just seems unsafe and the bottom line for me no matter what style of carry we are talking about, if it doesn't feel right to me, then it is not right for me.

Top Bottom